More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    How Were Your May Earnings?
    Mine were lowest ever. But April and June are normal. Clicks in May were statistically identical to April and June too.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

My sales were higher than normal for May.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Mine seemed a little lower than previous months but I also noticed a google update bumped me from #1 for a keyword phrase to number 3. I'm assuming other keywords were bumped as well. Time to go acquire more backlinks.
    "God moves imperturbably, slowly, and with perfect organization. The only wise rate at which to live is God's rate. God get things done and they are done right and He does them without hurry. He neither fumes nor frets. He is peaceful and therefore efficient." - Norman Vincent Peale

Sales were pretty good for the first 9 days, then things started to tank. In late April I had a 12K dollar merchandise sale day which shot my EPC up above $1 for about 14 days, then the EPC slowly went down. By the end of May it was down to .82 cents and it is still dropping.

This is the second time my EPC has gone above a $1 because of a super big sale day. I wish I could keep my EPC high, but these big sales don't happen very often.
    Merchants, any data you provide to Google Shopping should also be in your affiliate network datafeed. More data means more sales!

Affiliate Manager ParadigmWilliam's Avatar
    My May sales where good and higher than normal. But I don't promote eBay that much since they changed their commission structure.
    [URL="http://www.manageaffiliatelinks.com/"][COLOR="Red"][B]Manage Affiliate Links[/B][/COLOR][/URL] - Redirect Dead, Expired, or Broken Links

[URL="http://www.wpcoupon.com/"][COLOR="Blue"][B]WP Coupon[/B][/COLOR][/URL] - Turn Wordpress into a Coupon Site!

Normally I don't pay much attention to eBay (too busy with our retail biz), but we have a couple sites running it and May was strange. I look at the YTD graph and traffic has been steady, but May 1st our EPC dropped to about a penny for the entire month and has only now started creeping back up in June. Our longest previous dip was about 4 days in January (always a lull in spending after Christmas). We added a new site in mid to late April, but with only 18 clicks on the year, it shouldn't be enough to tank the numbers.

May looks strange to me...
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

ABW Ambassador
    This month is sucking so far, about 1/3 my normal earnings. Guess I haven't had many new regs this month.

I am with Eathan, my May numbers look very strange as well.

I also don't promote eBay much, I have maybe 5 pages directed to eBay. Usually I am around $0.11 for EPC but in May even with conversions, sales, the EPC seems to be stuck at $0.01. 354 clicks for May makes me think I shouldn't even bother and pull those links and put up Adsense or something else.

I must be the exception that proves the rule. May is tied as my best month for EPC and is third in commissions for this year, but only a few dollars. June on the other hand, half way through, is less than half of Mays EPC and about a quarter of the commissions. Hopefully I'll have a strong 2nd half of June.
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

Something is definitely funky with May on our end. Earnings for June are back to normal, already half again May's total with no jump in traffic (slight dip actually). eBay's canned response wasn't much help either (a common problem with big programs).

Anyway, I have other work to do, so best get to it. Best of luck all.
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Something strange was happening. At least with a few people.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

My May earnings were ok (I don't do much with eBay) - my June total so far seems to have reached the dizzy heights of 2.95 - so there's no hope of me going on safari this month!

I am so exasperated with eBay that I decided to concentrate on my core business (I sell my own products from my own site) and I might well cancel my eBay account because of their ridiculous policies. I guess I'm probably not alone!

M

Quote Originally Posted by isellstuff View Post
    Sales were pretty good for the first 9 days, then things started to tank. In late April I had a 12K dollar merchandise sale day which shot my EPC up above $1 for about 14 days, then the EPC slowly went down. By the end of May it was down to .82 cents and it is still dropping.

This is the second time my EPC has gone above a $1 because of a super big sale day. I wish I could keep my EPC high, but these big sales don't happen very often.

Why would that sale shoot up your EPC? I haven't read anything about product value amount having anything to do with EPC calculations- did I miss something somewhere? Are affiliates who promote higher end product getting paid more with higher EPCs?
    "God moves imperturbably, slowly, and with perfect organization. The only wise rate at which to live is God's rate. God get things done and they are done right and He does them without hurry. He neither fumes nor frets. He is peaceful and therefore efficient." - Norman Vincent Peale

Quote Originally Posted by GoColts View Post
    Why would that sale shoot up your EPC? I haven't read anything about product value amount having anything to do with EPC calculations- did I miss something somewhere? Are affiliates who promote higher end product getting paid more with higher EPCs?
    I'm not sure what is going on, but will offer some clues.

On April 27th, I had this type of activity (number of items x price of item)

--One Person Bought--
    6 x $389.94
    5 x $299.95
    5 x $294.95
    3 x $209.97

--- One Person Bought ---
    1 x $7000

--- One Person Bought ---
    1 x $845.5

Then a bunch of other stuff from various people, in the $30 -> $300 range.

I already had a EPC above .80 cents, but on this day it shot up to $1.23 and stayed there for 14 days.

BTW, I don't have hardly any SEO traffic, its all highly targeted PPC, so my conversion rate is very high. I would actually say that people with natural search engine traffic don't get as high of an EPC, but you might get a lot more clicks. I got an average of 222 clicks a day (in April).
    Merchants, any data you provide to Google Shopping should also be in your affiliate network datafeed. More data means more sales!

Uhhh, being stupid... I read the transaction reports incorrectly... It is

(number of items and total purchase amount)
    Last edited by isellstuff; June 18th, 2010 at 07:02 PM. Reason: duh

Thanks for the insight. I haven't attempted PPC with ebay since direct linking days (and) since they did away with the flat fixed payment for ACRUs. I can't imagine how to go about managing a PPC campaign with an unpredictable EPC system. However, that said with a consistent .80+ EPC I could see how some less competitive keywords might turn profitable (and the lesser searched terms probably explains your low daily click volume). Seems a gamble though but hey if your making $ that's all that matters and you don't have to worry about the headaches of SE algo updates. Question is - are you able to generate enough margins through ppc to reinvest to be able to scale and grow?

Might just try PPC for kicks - I am interested in the seeing if there's a difference in my conversion rates.

Quote Originally Posted by GoColts View Post
    However, that said with a consistent .80+ EPC I could see how some less competitive keywords might turn profitable
    Its not a consistent .80+ EPC. It dips as low as .50 EPC

(and the lesser searched terms probably explains your low daily click volume).
    I run over 700 affiliate programs. That's just eBay click #s.

Seems a gamble though but hey if your making $ that's all that matters and you don't have to worry about the headaches of SE algo updates.
    I think diversification of traffic sources is key. I'm working on SEO in a variety of projects right now, it will be interesting to see what happens to my EPN EPC once I start to get more natural traffic.

Question is - are you able to generate enough margins through ppc to reinvest to be able to scale and grow?
    I've been doing this for over six years. For the first four years I invested all profits back in as working capital. I still need lines of credit for growth. So I guess the answer might be no, or at least, not for a long time.

My earnings for May were about average for the year so far so can't complain. First half of the month kind of sucked but it picked up in the last half and made up for it.

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread