View Poll Results: This was:

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • A great, once-in-a-lifetime experience

12 37.50%
  • Dangerous, but it will pay for her college education

2 6.25%
  • A great way for her lazy parents to make some big money without having to work for a living

6 18.75%
  • Child abuse - the parents have to be prosecuted for endangering their child

13 40.63%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Would YOU Let Your 16-year-old Circumnavigate the Earth, Alone?
    "Teen picked up by French fishing boat after storm interrupts her circumnavigation. Abby Sunderland, 16, drifted for two days in the Indian Ocean."
    How soon until a 15-year-old, or a 14-year-old, or a 13-year-old tries this?
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Outsourced Program Manager Sarah Bundy's Avatar
    What?? Wow... I did this too, but a) I wasn't alone b) I was 27 years old and c) I wasn't found drifting for two days at sea... I would be horrified if this was my child.

16 is too young for something like this, IMO.

ABW Ambassador
    16 is not too young. Some can be mature enough to do anything that anyone else can do.

ABW Ambassador
    "Child abuse - the parents have to be prosecuted for endangering their child"

What an unbelievable attitude and an insult to all the kids that are abused

Outsourced Program Manager Sarah Bundy's Avatar
    I misread teh question. I was thinking of a 16 year old traveling the world vs circumnavigating the world.

Traveling the world alone = very dangerous (sex trade, drugs, kidnapping, etc).
    Circumnavigating the world = once in a lifetime opportunity and probably better when you're young.

If it was my child I would allow it with a) lots of prep and education about the sea and their vessel (needs training) and b) was with other trained people and c) I knew the route and understood the dangers and was sure that my child understood those dangers as well.

If I were to interpret this question literally, i.e., "MY 16-year-old," I would have to ask, which one?

When my daughter was 16, she was pretty responsible, and if she were as trained and experienced as this kid was, MAYBE.

When my son was 16, he was smarter than most 30+-year-olds I've known and probably could have kept his ship running in "McGyver" fashion through anything, so PROBABLY.

As for the child abuse silliness, I mean, really? REALLY? I tend to agree with Julian on that one.
    Generate more fake news.

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Pirates these days are ruthless. And there are plenty of them. So no.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

I agree with Julian about the child abuse option.

She has been planning this for a long time, she knew what she was getting into and if you noticed the preparation - when she needed help, it was known around the world immediately. She has been an accomplished sailor for years and years. I'm not trying to minimize the danger she faced, but remember when 12 year-old boys would lie about their age to fight in the war? That's mind-bending.

Longtime LA Times columnist TJ Simers and Fox Sports Radio personalities Dan Moriarty & Derrick Deese called it child abuse.

From Simers, who described the mission as "outrageous, ridiculous, incomprehensible insanity":
    Why is any 16-year-old allowed to place herself in harm's way? Why would any parent allow such a thing?
    I just don't understand the idea of risking life. This kid's going to be out there all by herself. Death is a possibility. Bad weather. Are you kidding me? Who's responsible for this? She's a kid.
    ___
    Sailing experts criticise Abby Sunderland's circumnavigation attempt:
    Sailing experts have sharply criticised US mariner Abby Sunderland, calling her attempt cross the treacherous Indian Ocean during winter "ridiculous and insane".
    Ian Kiernan, an Australian sailor who has circumnavigated the globe, said her voyage had not been planned properly and that she had been "foolhardy" to enter the Indian Ocean during winter when weather conditions could deteriorate swiftly and present a mortal danger.
    Marty Still, an Australian who built the boat used by teenage sailor Jessica Watson to successfully sail round the world earlier this year, said that Abby's team had chosen the wrong type of craft for the perilous crossing. He said that her boat had been built for speed, not safety, and would be extremly difficult for one person to sail.
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;

Looks to me like the criticisms which you've quoted above from Kiernan and Still have more to do with poor decisions, planning, etc., on the part of support and supply people, and little to do with maturity, training, experience, etc., on the part of the teenage sailor.

Perhaps a good option on the poll might be something like, "Are the parents of a 16-year-old competent to make decisions about allowing the teenager to sail solo around the world?"

Of course, I know that's not what you're getting at here, but that's certainly a significant factor in her trip and the way it went for her, from what those folks you quoted were saying anyway.
    Generate more fake news.

ABW Ambassador
    We let 16 year olds drive cars so..........

Let's ban that

I'm glad I could when I was that age but now that I'm older and just thinking, sophomores in HS, 16 year olds behind the wheel, kinda scary thinking about it. With that, they can also put other people's live at risk, the 16 yr. old on the ocean, just hers. Maybe should take the route like Germany does and make it 18. I wonder if those opposed have kids that age driving cars, would be a good question to ask.
    Last edited by Trust; June 13th, 2010 at 07:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trust View Post
    We let 16 year olds drive cars so..........

Let's ban that

I'm glad I could when I was that age but now that I'm older and just thinking, sophomores in HS, 16 year olds behind the wheel, kinda scary thinking about it. With that, they can also put other people's live at risk, the 16 yr. old on the ocean, just hers. Maybe should take the route like Germany does and make it 18. I wonder if those opposed have kids that age driving cars, would be a good question to ask.
    My son had his first car wreck when he was 16. Fortunately, no one was hurt.

My daughter was crazy eager to turn 16 to get her license and drive everywhere. But a couple of her older friends had accidents before she turned 16. She never even wanted to get her license at 16 after that.

Turned out, she never got her license until she was married and in her early 20s. She's an excellent driver, blends caution with action about as well as any driver I've seen. She's turning 35 this fall and has never had an accident since she started driving.

Go figure!
    Generate more fake news.

http and a telephoto
    The only thing I am going to say in this thread is that I personally know and have known 16 year olds that were more mature than 50 year olds.

Age is irrelevant.

What about the 13 year old that just climbed Mt Everest?

Quote Originally Posted by loxly View Post
    What about the 13 year old that just climbed Mt Everest?
    HE was with a group of six, three of whom were professional guides.

I really wonder if people see what is involved here.

What she attempted to do was not driving a car down the highway, and it was not even climbing a mountain with a group of professionals.

It was a lone girl, YES - BY HERSELF - on a small sailboat, sailing around the world, a trip that to complete would take more than a FULL YEAR.*

A full year, alone on a sailboat, in water replete with untold dangers, including storms, reefs, pirates, and more. Alone in the elements, subject to injuries and illness.

At 16, with the help of her family, the wrong type of boat was chosen, and she left at the wrong time of year, sailing into the most treacherous waters during the worst possible weather.

It seems clear from the outcome that while many 16-year-olds are older in intellect, education, instinct, and "street-smarts" than 16 years would indicate, these facts, and the outcome with her drifting powerless for days, hoping for a rescue, demonstrate conclusively, that she was not bright enough, smart enough, old enough, to undertake such an endeavor, and that her parents should have known that.
    _____
    *Wasn't she supposed to be in school?
    Last edited by Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound; June 14th, 2010 at 01:34 AM.

I voted... "Child abuse - the parents have to be prosecuted for endangering their child."

1. It is illegal for a 16 year old to drink alcoholic beverage.

2. It is illegal for a 16 year old to use tobacco products.

3. It is illegal for a 16 year old to buy a lottery ticket.

4. It is illegal for a 16 year old, in most states, to choose to have sex with an 18 year old.

5. It is illegal for a 16 year old, in many places, to buy a ticket to a "R" rated movie without an adult with them.

Hmmm... Let's see.

Not old enough to drink.

Too young to smoke.

Not responsible enough to buy a scratch-off ticket.

Not mature enough to have sex.

Needs a grown-up to see a movie with the "F-word" in it.

BUT....

Traveling around the world in a boat all alone is fine.

LOL!!! I don't think so. The parents should be arrested and forced to pay all rescue expenses.

Remember, there are pirates in the ocean. On the news all the time. That is child endangerment. Period. Whales jumping that could overturn the boat. Storms... Duh! And on and on. No proper adult supervision. Child endangerment.

In Alabama, if your kid skips school too many times, parents have to clean the highway for not properly supervising their child.

But... if you send your kid out to sea on a 15,000 mile (give or take) journey all alone, you're a great parent? LOL! I don't think so.

Yes I would let a 16 year old with the compassion, knowledge, training, maturity and the quest to try something this remarkable embark on her dream.
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

16-year-olds are given keys to 4,000 pounds of metal every day, with far less training. Not only does it often endanger their lives, but everyone else on the road. The thought of some of the teens I see driving around is pretty terrifying. If the average kid was scrutinized as deeply as this girl and her parents, I wonder how many would really be allowed to drive?

Her desire to take this trip was not a fluke. "Abby has an extensive sailing background, being raised in and around sailboats. She has accumulated thousands of miles of coastal cruising through a number of hazardous weather conditions."

Also, "Abby's older brother Zac made worldwide headlines in July 2009 when, at 17, he became the youngest person to solo circumnavigate the world, sailing 27,500 nautical miles in 13 months. Not to be outdone, English teenager Mike Perham broke Zac's record roughly one month later, completing his journey also at the age of 17 but two months Zac's junior."

Maybe parents should insure that their kids have thousands of miles of driving experience including in hazardous weather and through not so great neighborhoods before they are legally allowed to drive.
    Last edited by leeann; June 14th, 2010 at 07:12 AM.
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

Affiliate Manager
    He/She will have to wait until 18!

ABW Ambassador
    Those who voted for the child abuse option need some serious psychological evaluation.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowfinch View Post
    Hmmm... Let's see.

Not old enough to drink.

Too young to smoke.

Not responsible enough to buy a scratch-off ticket.

Not mature enough to have sex.

Needs a grown-up to see a movie with the "F-word" in it.

BUT....

Traveling around the world in a boat all alone is fine.
    I can't keep still. lol. I have to comment. So, in other words, it is illegal for 16 year olds to do stupid things. They have to wait two more years before they make the decision to screw up their health, possibly become teen-parents, and gamble.

How does this even compare to a young woman who was raised in a sailing family, has mega hours of training, dedicates herself to setting herself apart from her peers by venturing into something most of us could not do for a day?

Sailing is a way of life for this family. It is an adventurous and highly disciplined sport. For this young lady it has nothing to do with smoking cigs, boozing it up, watching sexrated movies, and gambling.
    leeann

LOL! Come on Leann! Smoking might screw up her health? Oh! But being eaten by a Great White Shark isn't harmful to her well-being? LOL! Sailing around the world, or attempting to, did screw up her health. I read she got a boo-boo and was scared. LOL!

Actually, I think the legal age for drinking, smoking and "R" rated movies should be 13. So, some of my comments were being sarcastic at the ignorant laws we have.

I am not avoiding the sex comment. Having raised way too many unwanted children in my life (about 30 give or take), I think the legal age for sex should be 40, which means I am barely old enough. LOL! And only after extensive parenting classes and other educational programs are completed.

Would I let my 16 year old sail around the world? Well, I would say this...

If I were King For Just One Day (a great '80s song by the Thompson Twins) and changed all the ignorant laws in the land...

YES! I would.

However, as Wal-Green loves to remind us, we don't live in Perfect.

So, under current conditions...

NO! I would not.

At 16, with the help of her family, the wrong type of boat was chosen, and she left at the wrong time of year, sailing into the most treacherous waters during the worst possible weather.
    The above is someone's opinion, not fact. You can get seriously injured sailing within site of your marina on Lake Michigan during the right time of year. This young lady probably knows more about sailing solo than Christopher Columbus knew about ocean exploration. Why are we so worked up about it? Because she dared to do something that sounds impossible and failed. We have to quickly point fingers and say "See, I told you the world was too dangerous!" Good grief.

http and a telephoto
    Age didn't matter. If she was 18 or 80 and the same thing happened the same type of outcry would happen but without the "child abuse" part.

ABW Ambassador
    I didn't vote for child abuse but I am hearing things on Fox New this AM that makes me wonder.

She told people at the yacht club that she was not ready and was scared.
    She was rushed to sea to meet an ad contract deadline.
    These is/was a reality show deal in the works.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast