good tools to start with?
    I started out working online about a year ago. I started a couple of really simple niche "how-to" sites, and added some links to those. When I got a new job last year I didn't have time for a while to do upkeep, but I was still bringing in $100 a month or so. I found all my links were broken on my best site a couple weeks ago, and I have to start over again. Seems like a good time to make any big changes, and really focus on the shop now.

I don't have any training on website development, and whatever I do know I picked up by reading online. What I'd like to know are what are some tools that are easy to use that I can start with.

1. I'd like to start with a web host that is easy enough to use that I can grow into it as I gain more skills. Something that has a sitebuilder is really necessary to start with.

2. Any suggestions on what kind of skills should I focus on developing first? I only have some html experience and don't know what else is really the most helpful to learn first.

Thanks for any advice--If it makes a difference my sites usually have either specific product links within a context of an article, or a data feed.

I think learning some languages will surely help you with your online work.
    Most companies need efficient programmers.

http and a telephoto
    Using a webhost sitebuilder locks you to that host. Don't do it Use your html skills or install Wordpress or other portable content management system that you can move if you need to change hosts.

Other than html skills, SEO skills would be good to have, because they go along with building your site properly from the ground up. Make your site useful, targeted, informative and interesting and you will get backlinks and traffic.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Thanks so much--
    I must be on the right track because I worked some today at researching wordpress and some other hosts. That's been my fear is that if I rebuild with this current host (using a sitebuilder) that I'll be stuck there. I'm just a little worried that the hosting fee plus the domain registration will start to add up to more than I'll make.

I also used popshops at my last job to offer products that were too much of a hassle to manage with physical inventory. I've been wondering if that could work for the next year or so while I brush up.

Thanks for the input--I know right now SEO is something my main site is lacking. I appreciate having a place with such great information but can still ask a question while I'm learning without feeling like I'll be out of place.

Affiliate Manager Resume Companion's Avatar
    For "how to" sites, you might consider spreading your content on sites such as squidoo.com and work.com. Since you already did the heavy lifting with creating great content, might as well copy onto other platforms. If you run into trouble with wordpress you can find cheap and good help on elance.com or getafreelancer.com. Sometimes it makes sense to pay someone $50 to solve a problem you might be stuck on for a week.
    Howard Chai, Affiliate Manager
    Email: [email]affiliate@resumecompanion.com[/email]
    Website: [URL="http://resumecompanion.com"]ResumeCompanion.com[/URL]
    SAS Program Link: [URL="http://www.shareasale.com/shareasale.cfm?merchantID=26342"]Join Now[/URL]

Thanks for the advice. My how-to sites don't do as well as my shopping site, so I'm focusing on that one. I'm considering adding more to the one and then putting ad links to the shopping site since the themes are related.

I just moved to a wordpress site, and my domain name is finally transferred. Right now I'm feeling really overwhelmed because I've never tried to use WP before and it's taking me a while to adapt to it. I couldn't get my home page to show up as my home page for about a half and hour and I was getting really frustrated.

So far I have my title, my main page header, a link to my CP store (for now) and one small set of links to products.

How much of your content changes if you switch your template? Just in case I decide to do that early on to something really simple.

WordPress is a powerful tool. Like a power saw.

No matter how user friendly it is, just like any web authoring tool, it requires some time to get used to it. There are some learning curves to overcome.

But believe me, once you get over it, you'll be much better with than without it.

If you have any question about WordPress, ask away.

Thanks for the encouragement.
    My dh came in the room and asked why I had that look on my face. When I tried to explain it he said "oh, that sounds really...boring. and complicated".

I feel like I'm floating in between two tech worlds. At work I'm the most savvy with computers, but with my site I'm a complete beginner. It is fun to have a challenge.

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by Resume Companion View Post
    For "how to" sites, you might consider spreading your content on sites such as squidoo.com and work.com. Since you already did the heavy lifting with creating great content, might as well copy onto other platforms.
    Change it up before you put it in other places, and use Ezine Articles too. Squidoo had SE issues for a while, I would not spend time building there.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

I'm not going to work on transferring my articles to my shop site just yet, so no worries.

I got all of my CafePress store uploaded into cpshop on my own. Not only is that a big thing to check off my list, I really didn't think I'd be able to figure it out on my own. Now to start with my first affiliate shop page.

Quote Originally Posted by hdlee View Post
    WordPress is a powerful tool. Like a power saw.

No matter how user friendly it is, just like any web authoring tool, it requires some time to get used to it. There are some learning curves to overcome.

But believe me, once you get over it, you'll be much better with than without it.
    Ok I'm a fan now! I still have a lot to figure out but after messing with it for about six days I'm in love so far. And I've learned a lot of things that I thought would be too hard to figure out.

I have a lot of content put up, now I have to figure out other ways to monetize the site. I'm amazed that it was as easy as it was to make a site that looks really professional.

Yay. Congratulations!

It took less time for you than most people, I guess. I taught my wife WordPress. She goes from complete stranger to start posting and managing content in about two weeks.

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread