Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Got this e-mail marketing newsletter the other day. Noticed the lead article might pertain to anyone that has a web site. I'm wondering now how many of you have a privacy policy and for those who don't, shoudl we?

http://www.marketingsherpa.com/!news...-04.htm#topic1
    [SIZE=2]
    [B][URL=http://www.readydomains.com][color=blue]ReadyDomains.com[/color][/URL] - Premium domain names for sale. Your new domain is ready!
    [/B][/SIZE]

yes and no... it all depends on the TOS of the program(s) you are promoting and whether or not you collect visitor info on your site.

I have a privacy statement on my websites the collect info... I dont have one on sites that dont colect info unless it is required by the merchant...

Joe
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    that's my2cents, 'cuz I'm a legend in my own mind....

ABW Ambassador

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    They're a TOTAL waste of time and disk space in my experience. I had one on my first site, and my stats showed that, that page only got about 2 hits/month. And some months, it got NO hits at all!

Needless to say, after seeing those stats, I only wrote about two more of them. Other than that, no. There's no point in making pages nobody is going to look at!
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

ABW Ambassador
    There are those who use P3P to add Page Rank

SpikeDo,

It might be a good idea to add a little privacy statement to let your customers know that if you are collecting any info, why your doing this and to what point, this will put more trust in them.

I own an ISP company that provides our own networks and we like to be open and clear with our customers as far as what IS and what IS NOT allowed on our network and thru our hosting servers. You may also do what I see some website owners doing, make a little scroll box, place all the text inside and have it be where they will scroll up and down to read, this will take up less room rather then have a full page for your statement.(3) Another idea I have used is a click on a link to pop up a little box to read the privacy if they so desire.

I hope this helps and best of luck with your
    business.

Kevin
    Crazy NJ Hummer Driver!

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Linda - 5starAffiliatePrograms's Avatar
    Lack of P3P compliance blocks cookies! You guys I think may be missing the point. Don't do P3P for just your visitors to read - do it to protect your COOKIES!

FYI check your merchants to be sure THEY are P3P compliant or your sales may not track since their cookies may be blocked.

Also even if you are P3P compliant if you have merchant links on your site that are not it can make your site look like it's not in compliance.

See this article:

Help! IE6 Is Blocking My Cookies
    http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/javascript/2002/10/04/p3p.html

BTW P3P compliance is on our new merchant check list and we make sure they are before we roll out any new affiliate programs to assure your cookies will work.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> There are those who use P3P to add Page Rank <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Those are just a list if urls, they don't link to the sites in question, so no page rank passed.

Shame really.

A privacy page is a good idea, I use them on all my sites. I can afford to spend 5-minutes making one, and the 8k it takes to store it on my server.

Fred

You don't need to be P3P compliant on the affiliate site for the cookies to work - just the merchant site.

However, a privacy policy is a good thing to have and fairly easy to write. You can also use it in other ways.. for instance, I have a privacy policy that says:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>General exceptions: we treat attempted fraud seriously and will publish personal details of fraudsters. Be aware that we treat email from Nigeria, China, South Korea, Indonesia, Brazil and Argentina as spam and will report it to your ISP, and we will publish your details on our spam page so that other vendors can be warned. We will take action against any person violating our intellectual property in whatever manner we feel is appropriate, including publishing exact details of violation, the web site of the violator, business information and personal details.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In other words.. your privacy policy doesn't have to be nice and fluffy *at all*.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

some teeth showing there, for sure.

anyway, some merchants require you to have a privacy policy of some sort, so I guess in that case we just have to do it.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    A lot of you have said it was a good thing to have. But WHAT is good about it? The visitors don't even bother to look, so what benefit is there for an affiliate site??? I see none whatsoever.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Buy Online said--"I can afford to spend 5-minutes making one, and the 8k it takes to store it on my server."

5 Mins * 40 sites = 200 minutes (3 hours, 20 minutes).

Last year I calculated that my earnings worked out to something over $200 per hour of actual work done. The couple of my merchants who say they want a policy, make me less than $100/year! Using that calculation, it'd take SIX YEARS of earnings with those merchants just to break even!

NOT worth doing it, IMO.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

http and a telephoto
    I applied to a merchant program this week and was turned down because not ALL my sites have a privacy policy. I will be adding them.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

ABW Ambassador
    It's good to have. When i first started i didn't have one and got turned down a few times just because of that. Once you get it together, it's just a one time deal adding it to your sites and it's done.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>End-Users (You, the Visitor) agree that all information that is provided by you or by ABestWeb™ and or any provider(s) on the forums or chat remain the property of ABestWeb™, any proprietary right, title or interest, including copyright, in the stories, articles, or other materials including but not limited to text, images, and other multimedia data, belong exclusively to ABestWeb™ as part of our services (the "Content").
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is in the privacy policy of this forum. Obviously we post to the forum because we find it useful (and enjoyable). However, it is inappropriate that the copyright should &lt;i&gt;belong&lt;/i&gt; to ABestWeb - they should just take a licence to use it.

I work in the music industry where unfair copyright practices are the norm. There is no reason to perpetuate this on the web. A licence to use the material is all they need and they should take no more than that.

As it stands, you could not collect all of your own posts that you have written and put them together in an e-book, for example, as you don't own the copyright. But ABestWeb could, and sell it for a profit with no payment to you.

I had the same problem that Herb, Loxly and Trust had. I have a Merchant that would not approve me unless I had a privacy policy on my site.

Bob

Would anyone like to share their pirvacy policy here? I understand that everyone's would have to be different, but I'm sure there is some common language that could help some of us without policies to create one.
    [SIZE=2]
    [B][URL=http://www.readydomains.com][color=blue]ReadyDomains.com[/color][/URL] - Premium domain names for sale. Your new domain is ready!
    [/B][/SIZE]

I don't really see what the big deal is. It only takes a couple of minutes to do a privacy policy, and once it's done, it's done.

With the parasitic apps floating around today, the driveby downloads, etc., I think site visitors have the right to know what to expect from the sites they visit. If they're interested, it's there for them to inspect. If they aren't interested, they won't know about it.

There are lots of places online where you can complete forms and it will do the privacy policy for you, just do a search on your favorite SE.

Personally, I think having a published privacy policy is a comfort to a lot of people. Just having one is often enough, not having one might encourage them to go elsewhere. And if merchants want it, good for them, at least you know they're looking at your site and not just approving any scum that applies to their program. So, you might as well have it and not worry about it.

Andy

quote:
    ============================
    "As it stands, you could not collect all of your own posts that you have written and put them together in an e-book, for example, as you don't own the copyright. But ABestWeb could, and sell it for a profit with no payment to you."
    ============================

Why do you have to post that?

On the time that I have being here I have not had the time to read the privacy policy of this forum and now that you post that info, you just destroyed my plans of a marketing plan that I was creating on which I was going to make a lot of money for Charlie and me.

Well, since you made me read that info, now I have no choice but to reveal what I was doing on the background and look for another plan to make some extra money.

I was compiling over 10,000 post made by Charlie the marketer and I had just a few more pages to go before I finished the e-Book and sending it to Mike for editing and approval.

I was going to sell it on ClickBank and e-Bay, pay for all the promotion of the e-Book and then split all the profits 40/40 with Charlie with the other 20% going to Haiko for the use of the promotion of the e-Book.

But now because you brought that section of the privacy policy of this forum to my attention (any proprietary right, title or interest) , I have no other course but to cease and desist on my idea and let Haiko keep all the money for himself if he decide to sell the e-Book one day.

Sincerely,

An-ex-e-Book-publisher.

Note to Mike & Charlie: Sorry guy's, we just lost a business deal that was on the making.

Mr. Sal - It's a wise person who knows the difference between sarcasm and irony, and an even wiser person who knows when someone's being serious

Seriously, I imagine that the policy was written without too much thought. Selling your copyright is always a bad idea, giving it away is simply crazy. Licences on the other hand can be so versatile.

I run an educational website where I licence students' work to use for purposes linked with the site, including money-making purposes if I choose. They have to agree to that licence to sign on.

But they still get to keep their copyright and use or promote their work in any other way. That's what I call win-win.

That's another shed-load of copyright I've just given away, but there is no reason ABestWeb can't change their policy (and of course making the changes retrospective too).

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    LOL ...Mr Sal. "sending it to Mike for editing and approval."

Approval would be quick but the editing for typos would take you a year.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Ok Sloth,

I'm going to come clean and try to explain my previous post.

I did read the privacy statement once before (last year) but, I never really pay too much attention to the ownership part until you posted this:

"As it stands, you could not collect all of your own posts that you have written and put them together in an e-book, for example, as you don't own the copyright. But ABestWeb could, and sell it for a profit with no payment to you."

Maybe this was a coincidence a sign or just pure telepathy, but last night I was working on a few ideas that I was going to post on this forum and then I got stuck on the issue of if it was ok for me to put a copyright symbol or not at the end of that post.

At first I thought that if what I was going to publish became very popular one day, that I should put a copyright symbol in there just in case if one day in the future I decide to include it on an e-Book or a newsletter and that way avoid someone else from taking credit for my writing and profited from it.

Then I thought, oh well, as long as I have the copyright symbol in there, I can let anybody just use the information and as long as I have the legal right to my original work to do whatever I decide in the future and without no one else saying later that they wrote it first, then I will see no problem.

But then I say to myself, maybe it's not a good idea for me to publish these findings here on a public forum first and maybe even if decided to posted anyway, maybe the owners of this board won't like the idea of somebody posting their own copyright materials on their forums for free.

So since I was stuck on some decisions to make regarding what to do, I just decided not to do nothing about it for the time being and just go on with other more important things.

Today when I read your post, I had no choice but to go and re-read the privacy statement on this board again, now I might as well forget about what I had in mind last night for now.

I took the liberty of posting about writing an e-book (compiling over 10,000 post made by Charlie the marketer) as a bad joke because someone on this board once before mentioned the idea to Mike to do that, when Mike made his 10k posts.

At the end, well....... I don't think I did to bad with that post, but again and to quote what you said before: It's a wise person who knows the difference between sarcasm and irony, and an even wiser person who knows when someone's being serious.

Sal.

Note: I hope Mike don't get mad at me for mentioning him and Charlie again on this post.

A further comment...

In most jurisdictions, even if you give away your copyright you still have the right of 'paternity'. That means you have the right to be identified as the author of the work.

I have never personally known an instance of paternity being given away or sold, but I suspect it is occasionally on a very hush-hush basis.

How come that musical you saw on Broadway (or in London's West End) last year was mostly pretty ordinary but had two great songs - one in Act 1 and one in Act 2?

Maybe the composer wrote most of the show, but bought the two great songs, paternity and all?

Legal disclaimer - it's just a thought and there is still no 1984-wise thoughtcrime.

Moving back to the original goal of this thread, can anyone post their privacy policy or parts of it to help the rest of us without one get started? Thanks.
    [SIZE=2]
    [/B][/SIZE]

Leader, I can't argue with your point about time spent - it's a good argument. But, I'm still going to throw one in each site.

SpikeDo, I would fish around a little and see what others are doing. You just need a couple of paragraphs explaining that you don't collect information, and don't have pop-ups (do you?), and your not responsible for what happens after the visitor leaves your site.

Seems to me, I used a web-based tool in order to create a policy. I just can't remember where it was (you might do a search), I'm sure it's still out there.

There are P3P creators out there, but they all charge fees for them. Again, as an affiliate, you shouldn't need the P3P enabled functionality.

Fred

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast