PopShops pros and cons?
    Hey folks,

I've tried messing around with PopShops program over the past few months. I haven't paid for it yet, I've been using the "free trial" version.

I wanted to ask those who use PopShops if you like the product? What are the pros and cons to throwing down the money to get more involved in PopShops? Do their shops that they provide very SEO friendly? Also, if you wanted to create an affiliate store that has over 5000K products using the feeds available, is that easy to do with PopShops?

Thanks for the help!

- Greg

ABW Ambassador
    Hi Greg - I've been using PopShops for years and love it. I use their Enterprise plan and to me it's well worth the money. I find their datafeeds to be SE friendly but keep in mind that others are using the same feeds so it's important that you build your webpages to include unique content.

One of the Pros is that you don't have to mess with merchant datafeeds yourself, popshops takes care of that. No worrying about how the merchant has structured their feeds.

PopShops is very easy is to use and a store that has over 5000K products shouldn't be an issue if set up properly. You would probably need to use keywords to set up those autofeed pages. There is a thread in the PS forum that tells how to do that.

I would say one of the Cons is that some merchants don't use the PopShops datafeed service. So, you may see a merchant that you are interested in joining but because they don't offer their datafeed through PS you are unable to use them. If this is an issue always contact the AM for that program and ask them to join PopShops, it's free for them. I've ask many merchants to join PS and they have, so that's always an option.

Hope that helps, good luck!!

Thanks for the quick response, msladybug, maybe I will give them a try with their free trial period.

Do you know of any competition in this landscape or is PopShops the only one?

- Greg

ABW Ambassador
    I really like PopShops and think you'll be pleased with their service. It's really all about finding out how to best set up your store. You can make a php shop for each of your categories, hand select the products for the 1st page, turn on the autofeed to pull addtional products matching your shop keywords. You can also build just one page that will build your pages dynamically. There is several ways to build your shops.

I think there is one called Datafeedr but I don't know anything about their service.

ABW Ambassador
    Also a con I should have mentioned in my first post. If the PopShops servers go down then so will your shops. This doesn't happen very often and PS is usually pretty quick about getting things back online. This can happen with just about any sevice you use but certainly something to keep in mind.

Thanks for the help again! Do you have any functional PopShop stores at the moment that I can see as an example by chance? I don't intend to steal ideas (I already have ideas ) I just want to see PS in action and I don't PS does a very good job at showing that on their website. Thanks,

-Greg

Go to the Popshop site and they have a few sample sites up.
    Here are a few of my comments, some of which msladybug has already mentioned.

Pros:
    1. Don't need to handle datafeeds. Big plus!
    2. Can drop and add merchants in a few seconds. Very easy and quick to set up a store.
    3. Can view multiple merchants products at one time and select the ones I want in a store. This is also a handy way of finding new merchants.
    4. Can add SEO keywords to stores for Enterprise version.
    5. Autofeed of products based on keywords selected for product search (mentioned by msladybug)
    6. Can track sales via tracking id.

Cons:
    1. If merchants products are not always up to date.
    2. Not all merchants have their products in Popshops
    3. Cost money although they have a free version with limited stores. Although to me the money is worth it to save my sanity.
    4. Can sometimes go down and your page can look blank. If that happens and if you are paying for traffic it can hurt or if you are using the Wordpress plugin, error pages may scare away visitors.
    5. Querying for products are limiting and based on title (not description or content of the product page. So if you don't query some of the words in the title, the product won't show.
    6. Speed of the site. If you are using e.g. Adwords to drive traffic and since speed is an issue, your quality score may drop since getting the results to display from the Popshop server takes longer than if you were e.g. on your own server querying your own database. The speed is also be impt. especially lately in the G eyes regarding overall performance.
    7. Backlinks and bookmarks. Not necessarily a con for Popshops but something to consider in general. Once your search queries have been bookmarked or backlinked and if you change service or a product become unavailable you will loose the SEO benefit (not to mention the sale). However this would be the case for any service you used not just Popshops or even if you had your own database and switched to something else. So make sure you use something you will stick with for a while.

Overall, I would say even with some cons that I have had a good experience and been happy with it for new sites.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Goodson View Post
    Do you have any functional PopShop stores at the moment that I can see as an example by chance? -Greg
    My only "active" PopShops store right now is a temporary "calendar store" at 123sheetmusic.net/calendars (it's not really an "active store," just a demo I re-configured recently as part of a test project). Note that I didn't use live hyperlinks in this post, since it's an actual "live affiliate page" (however temporary), you'll need to cut and paste the URL to see the page.

• It has "autofeed" and pagination enabled (?&psps_page=NN), so you can see multiple pages of results.
    • It has the search function enabled (?&psps_search=XXX), so you can enter a search phrase and see results in the same format; it's not limited to calendars or calendar-merchants, so you can experiment with other searches. Examples:
      : 123sheetmusic.net/calendars/?psps_page=83
      : 123sheetmusic.net/calendars/?psps_search=lab+puppies+calendar
      : 123sheetmusic.net/calendars/?psps_search=usb+TB+hard+drive&psps_page=3
      : 123sheetmusic.net/calendars/?psps_search=%22carved+in+sand%22+-london+-bonus
    • Currently it's displaying using a custom store format that I defined (not a default arrangement).
    • FYI, since it's just a "test," I haven't configured it to exclude merchants who haven't approved me, so some links won't work.
    • This page uses the PHP code implementation.
    • I didn't configure the store or page to use local redirect links, so you will see that all links point to/through PopShops.
    Last edited by markwelch; June 15th, 2010 at 07:40 PM.

PopShops for Building Automated Affiliate Stores
    I posted this review in support of PopShops:
    http://www.AbestWeb.com/forums/showt...p?p=1031266#12

The PopShops DataPack API is an affordable solution for building automated, sustainable, and long-term income-generating affiliate sites. It allows you to use product feeds from 1000's of merchants / vendors from all the popular affiliate networks like Commission Junction, PepperJam, LinkShare, and ShareASale (not just Amazon or Ebay)... and it costs only $45/month (20% yearly rate discount with 10% discount coupon).

With the PopShops API, you can integrate product listings right into the WordPress categories and posts themselves. Using your theme's single.php, category.php, or home.php files, it is possible to integrate PopShops into an already existing, content-filled site, or start from scratch.

Using the PopShops API and data feed support, when a product is removed from one of your merchants, it is possible to automatically replace that product with a similar one without removing the post or changing the page permalink. You won't kill any backlinks already pointing to it.

You can even create automation events that can be called by cpanel CRON jobs. This will allow you to fill your site with products on a more gradual basis. This will cause Google, Yahoo, & Bing search engines to keep coming back to spider your pages and give you better rankings in the organic search engine results.
    This page on the PopShops site explains how view a PopShops DEMO STORE. http://www.PopShops.com/faq/affiliate-xml-api

After you upload the class file and the script to the same folder on your server, you can test the sample script, and View the Demo Store, by typing the full url to it in your browser: http://www.(YourSite.com)/sample-script.php
    Last edited by CaliforniaJerry; July 4th, 2010 at 06:57 PM.

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    Popshops is very easy to use and add a product table to a website. It is very graphical and easy to use. I think it is a great solution if you want to make tables featuring products for niche sites especially if you don't know how to program or if you want to include products from multiple merchants quickly.

The problem I had was a quick way to add products from a search (no add all), a quick way to update tables (it takes time to remove missing products and find replacements), and extremely poor autofeed results. The auto replacements were normally very far from what I was looking for since there was no way to use positive and negative keywords for shops autofeed. I couldn't keep women's bras from showing up on a table (er shop) that only had men's swimsuits for example.
    I had hoped to use RSS for integration, but I had some issues with that although I don't remember exactly what those problems were.
    I think I finally canceled because the service was down frequently causing my sites to cache pages without any products and really frightening PHP error messages from not connecting to the server.

These issues may have been resolved since I stopped using the service.

It's been great for me. Granted there were some ups and downs in the earlier days, but things seem to be running very smoothly now. The worst thing for me is all the merchants changing from one network to another. That creates a lot of work and waiting for the new feeds to show up in Popshops can be a bear.

"The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread