I know people recommend to work with a niche site and talk about how coupon sites are a dime a dozen. I have my niche site I started but have an urge to create a coupon/hot deals site to utilize the merchants which normally wouldnt fit under my niche. Is the competition that fierce with these types of sites that I should stay away and concentrate on niche markets?

This question comes up fairly frequently.

If you can do something to distinguish yourself, you should be able to do good with it. Some merchants work great on coupon sites.

It's a LOT of work to keep a coupon site updated properly.

A coupon site exposes you to MANY different merchants, and that can help you find some good niches.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Crum6178... Its also considered VERY poor taste for you to post deals to the message boards of other affiliate sites, when you're putting in your own affiliate links. You know exactly what I'm talking about. It is considered spamming.

My apologies TI Master. I'm new to this all and learning. I'll go ahead and quit spamming the message board.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>You know exactly what I'm talking about. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think anyone should ever be put off creating a site because there's too much competition. The way I see it is that someone has to be top of the SERPs and if you are good enough it could be you.

Who dares doesn't always win, but who doesn't dare certainly never wins.

Caveat - certain notoriously scummy areas should be avoided and personally I wouldn't build a coupon site.

I just seem to have seen the "too much competition don't bother" argument several times recently. If I'd have listened I'd still see the future as a dull "career path" to a dull retirement, instead of planning on leaving my job with and using an atlas to plan my medium term goals - as long as there's a broadband service available I can consider a move anywhere!

Coupon sites don't have to be scummy.

As for the competition aspect, it's certainly a factor. There are still tons of vertical markets you can get into with virtually no competition. It pays to be one of the first.

When I set up my coupon site in mid-1999, I didn't know of any other coupon sites. (Connie's was around, but I didn't know about it yet.) If I would have known about others, I probably wouldn't have built mine. Much of its success came largely because it was one of the first.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread