I was wondering who around here affiliates with AMs who use Kowabunga. I just want to get a feel for the pros and cons of it from the affiliate's point of view. As an AM I really like it and I think it is far superior to CJ as far as functionality, speed, and of course the fact that you cut out the parasitical middleman. What do you guys think?
    Matt

ABW Ambassador
    As an affiliate:

1) Multiple logins for multiple merchants - too difficult to manage (Kolimbo might change that)
    2) Obviously not consolidated payment
    3) No interface to contact merchant (like CJ email)
    4) Lack of dynamic banners like CJ SmartZone
    5) No direct interface to datafeeds/product catalogs
    6) Very basic reporting.
    7) No impression count for text links
    8) Poor technical documentation

(Not in any specific order)

[Moved from CJ forum to Cafe']
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

no consolidated payment

Hi All -

Matt - I'm glad to hear that you are enjoying MyAP!

I want to comment on a few of the points in KCEdit's post:

1 - Kolimbo does take care of the multiple logins for multiple programs. It will give you consolidated access to all of your accounts. You can signup for an aggregated account here: http://www.kolimbo.com

2 - We don't offer consolidated payments - YET. Keep your eyes peeled for this one folks!

3 - The Kolimbo interface includes a "Contact" link for each of the programs you're associated with. You can contact your merchants with the click of a button.

4 - This option is available to each of our merchants. They can offer you dynamic banners, rich media or anything else they choose. Again - keep an eye out for an affiliate tool that will allow you to build your own dynamic links to rotate content from multiple programs.

5 - Again - this is something that our merchants have the ability to offer - it depends on whether or not they choose to make catalogs or product data feeds part of their programs. We can create statistical datafeeds for affiliates (and have done this several times) so that you can download your performance stats for local analysis.

6 - I'm not really sure what else you're looking for in reporting - but, I'd be interested in knowing. We offer real-time stats including clicks, impressions, sales (we've had this stat for over a year now), commissions, pending sales, EPC and a variety of ratios. We allow you to run date-specific and date range reports, sub-ID reports, marketing material performance reports and even transaction history reports.

Some (not all) of these items were new in our MyAP v8 product released last year, and available as add-ons before that. So, it could be that you have worked with a merchant who has an older version of our software. (BTW - encourage them to upgrade - it's only $100 and includes a free ReferDetect Lite which will allow you to link directly to the merchant's domain)

7 - Impression counting for text links is available.

8 - Again, we've updated a lot in the last few years. Our technical documentation for affiliates has been improving steadily. With the release of Kolimbo, not only will you have access to more technical documentation, you'll also have direct access to our technical support staff to help you with any questions we may not have covered in the docs.

Please let me know if you have any other questions!

Thanks,
    Rachel Honoway
    KowaBunga! Technologies

ABW Ambassador
    Rachel, I think you nailed my issue I have with Kowabunga. Inconsistency across the merchants, one might have one feature available, the other not. Some might have old reporting, some new. it ends up being very unsatisfying experience for the affiliates.

I think you would do a major service to your clients to not charge for upgrades, but create a consistent environment for affiliates across all merchants, in the long run I would guess the payoff would be greater.

As it stands now, KB merchants feel like used car sales lots, versus SAS, CJ etc's new car lot.

Chet

Hi Chet,

I know what you mean - and we're doing what we can to attack that issue. We would really like to see all of our merchants running on the same, updated platform as well.

However, since we offer each of our merchants the ability to customize their programs - we're not in a position where we can flip a switch to upgrade the accounts - and we don't want to force our merchants to do things that they don't want to.

Whether we've offered the upgrade for a cost, or for free - we have merchants who are reluctant to change. They are happy with their solution, and see change as a speedbump that will slow down their progress - no matter how many times we tell them that the process is easy and quick.

So - that's where you, as affiliates need to come in. Tell your merchants that these reports, stats and options are important to you. Tell them that you want to see them make the jump to the newest applications.

Thanks,
    Rachel Honoway
    KowaBunga! Technologies

I don't see surprisehim.net on the site. They are a MyAP/Kowabunga customer?

Fred

Hi Fred,

Surprisehim is considered an adult-content related site and therefore not promoted through Kolimbo.

Thanks,
    Rachel Honoway

Hi all,

Quick update... after writing my last response, I realized that, though we've decided not to promote adult sites through Kolimbo, affiliates should be able to manage thier partnerships with adult MyAP users.

So - you will not find SurpriseHim in the Kolimbo directory of programs. However, if you use the "Find existing relationships" area, you will see the SurpriseHim program listed. If you are an affiliate with them, you can now manage your relationship with Kolimbo.

Please keep the questions and comments coming!

Thanks,
    Rachel Honoway
    KowaBunga! Technologies

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread