Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Veggie Diets
    Every year around my birthday I get thinking of something to push my weight down the rest of the way it needs to go.

I'm considering a vegetarian, or at least flexitarian diet.

Anyone here have some resources to share?
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

First of all, I would avoid any recipes from Michael or Bill -- cows ain't vegetables.

Next, I really like allrecipes.com as a recipe resource. They have a lot of great ideas there for anything under the sun.

I eat very little meat. However, I still like sandwiches and have found the Boca brand All-American burgers to be the best tasting (at least in my opinion). I also like their Brats but I have never eaten a real one so I can't tell you if they are anything similar or not.

Veggie lasagna is really good. Mushrooms are a good substitute for meat.

I'll let you know if I can think of anything else.

Yeah... I didn't expect to see Bill or Coley in this thread

Thanks for the ideas
    Kevin Webster

Kayak Fishing

ABW Ambassador
    Plants Are Living Creatures With Feelings

http://forums.teamphoenixrising.net/...ad.php?t=23171

Leave the plants alone, they have enough people eating and killing them, don't you care about their feelings?

Personally, I hate all vegetables with a passion. That hatred drives me to eat every vegetable that I can.

Let 'em suffer, I say!
    Generate more fake news.

What about exercise? If you get good exercise and eat good food, that's about the best you can do. Diet alone doesn't always do the trick. In fact, it can be downright unhealthy to "cut down" on too much stuff; most things that are considered "bad for you" are things that we still need to have some of anyway. For instance, a diet that did not include any salt would be suicide.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

Quote Originally Posted by davidh View Post
    What about exercise? If you get good exercise and eat good food, that's about the best you can do. Diet alone doesn't always do the trick. In fact, it can be downright unhealthy to "cut down" on too much stuff; most things that are considered "bad for you" are things that we still need to have some of anyway. For instance, a diet that did not include any salt would be suicide.
    Heya David. I'm pretty active, playing baseball several times a week, and kayaking. I do Pilates when the other things aren't working out for whatever reason.

I plateaud a bit on the weight loss, so I'm looking to change things up for the time being.
    Kevin Webster

Kayak Fishing

I refuse to acknowledge your comment, Trust. With the exception of acknowledging it by not acknowledging it.
    Kevin Webster

Kayak Fishing

Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    Wife and I are working on avoiding any red meat. We are not going 100% crazy, but we have limited red meat to once or twice per month. We eat chicken and turkey, but they must be free range birds without any hormones. Wife likes fish, but I don't eat anything that swims. Veggies and fruit are so good for you. I am craving some fruit at the moment.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Don't let the name scare you away, but for anyone contemplating a vegetarian diet (NOT just a vegan diet) and for those who are already committed to it, THE definitive book to get is Veganomicon: The Ultimate Vegan Cookbook by Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero.
    It is much, much more than a cookbook, but rather is a virtual encyclopedia of information about, and combining, cooking, and creating dishes with fruits and vegetables. It has sections on food prep, kitchen equipment, terminology, on low fat cooking, and on How to Cook different classes of vegetables. In the recipe section, there is a great cooking tip on virtually every page.

Any cook, and certainly any vegetarian, not just vegans, can benefit greatly from this book.

(No, I do not know the authors and I have no stake in its success.)
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

ABW Ambassador
    If you do have a problem losing those last few pounds, then being a vegitarian isn't going to be the answer, as there can be high calories in veggie food.

ABW Ambassador
    It's just calories in/calories out. I've mentioned it before but my normal weight is where I'm at now 185, but got up to 220 my first year doing this because I was always pretty active and it was a big change sitting in the chair all day. All I did was figure out how many calories I was averaging a day and cut that. Still sat in the chair all day and lost 35 pounds, just cutting calories. Instead of 3 hamburgers, large fries, large coke. I had 2 hamburgers, large fries large coke. Instead of the XL Papa John's Pizza, I just had the Large

ABW Ambassador
    Also, wanted to point out something. Past Consumer Reports article on all these weight loss programs out there and they compared the majors like Weight Watchers, Nutrisystem etc and they compared the daily caloric intake of the programs. They were all like 1500-1700 calories per day, give or take a 100. You will lose weight eating in that range. I think I had mine about 2200 and lost weight.

Start keeping a journal, keep track of calories. Figure out how many calories a day maintains your weight. Then you can just cut it to take off weight.

You can Google this

Jenny Craig: Dieters eat an average of 1300 calories per day across three meals and one snack.

NutriSystem: Female dieters eat an average of 1200 calories per day; males eat an average of 1500 calories per day. Dieters consume three meals and two snacks, plus six servings of fruits and vegetables, each day.

etc

Trust: I use(d) Livestrong.com to watch calories for about 3 months, until I knew how to do it in my head. During my weightloss phase, I was consuming roughly 1600 calories a day. That took me from 203 pounds to 180.

I've got 15 to go, but it doesn't seem like it's working anymore.

<shrug>

@Hound. Thanks for that. Will definitely check it out.
    Kevin Webster

Kayak Fishing

ABW Ambassador
    Try that plus some activity you've never done before that gets you sweating. Some kind of new exercise routine.

Yeah, not likely to see Dad (Bill) here. He's on the seefood diet - he sees food and he eats it. (His joke. Sorry, I had to put it!) He prefers to see meat though, or a good piece of fish now and then.

Have you checked out The Food Network's Healthy Eating Page? They have recipes for all different ways of healthy eating - including going veggie.
    Jill Swartwout, President
    Beaches and Towns Network, Inc

ABW Ambassador
    You have to try different things every few weeks, so you never hit a plateau.

Do you lift any weights? Adding some more muscle will help with the weight loss, as muscle cells burn more calories that fat cells do.

Network Rep & ABW Ambassador Carolyn - ShareASale's Avatar
    I haven't done it for weight loss, but I started doing one vegan day a week (no animal products, so no dairy, no eggs, no cheese)...and it's really hard! I've been doing it since Jan 1, and I figured, 52 weeks in a year, 52 vegan days, that's just over a month of giving it all up. It's challenging, but helps keep me more conscious of what I'm eating.

I don't think I'd ever be able to live this lifestyle, I'm too much in love with cheese and eggs, but it has opened my eyes to new dishes and ingredients! I'm more likely now to whip up a bowl of polenta with sauteed mushrooms and spinach, and that's about as good as comfort food gets!

Quote Originally Posted by Carolyn - ShareASale View Post
    I haven't done it for weight loss, but I started doing one vegan day a week (no animal products, so no dairy, no eggs, no cheese)...and it's really hard! I've been doing it since Jan 1, and I figured, 52 weeks in a year, 52 vegan days, that's just over a month of giving it all up. It's challenging, but helps keep me more conscious of what I'm eating.
    What a great idea!
    I tried going totally vegan for a short time when I was a vegetarian. It was really rough. Back then though, there weren't all the cool things sold in the store like there are now.

Quote Originally Posted by Carolyn - ShareASale View Post
    I'm more likely now to whip up a bowl of polenta with sauteed mushrooms and spinach, and that's about as good as comfort food gets!
    Call me when you are making this again--I will be there in 5 seconds!

Network Rep & ABW Ambassador Carolyn - ShareASale's Avatar
    LOL, you got it! I also just tried soy ground sausage for the first time last week...I would actually venture to say that I might like it more than regular sausage! Similar texture, great flavor, but without the grease. I just add a little extra sage to whatever I'm cooking and voila! Even my steak loving fiance liked it

Yep, the fake sausage is waaaay better than the real. My steak loving husband likes it too (as long as I don't "tell" him ).

Thanks all for the input. Much appreciated.
    Kevin Webster

Kayak Fishing

http and a telephoto
    Sounds bizarre, but this is working for me: Drink a cup or two of oolong tea each day (the real stuff, not bagged). I read somewhere that oolong speeds up your metabolism and it seems that it does. I drink Milk Oolong from American Tea Room, but there are plenty of others that are available.

Kevin, do you carry any oolong teas?

(disclaimer: I do not manage the ATR affiliate program any longer, so no stake in you buying or not )
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Not carrying oolong currently. I'll check on availability.

I definitely DO need to drink more teas.
    Kevin Webster

Kayak Fishing

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    Not carrying oolong currently. I'll check on availability.

I definitely DO need to drink more teas.
    Don't do iiiiiitttttt. She got Vinny watching Sex In The City and doing yoga, now you want to become a vegetarian, do pilates and sip on tea. What's next, you and Vinny are going to share a pair of jeans and start a Brotherhood of the Traveling Pants Club.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast