View Poll Results: How many times do you edit your post(s)?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Where's the EDIT button?

1 3.33%
  • I've hardly ever edited my posts.

6 20.00%
  • I edit my posts once in a while.

13 43.33%
  • I edit most of my posts.

7 23.33%
  • I edit each and every post.

3 10.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    How many times do you edit your post(s)?
    So do you edit your posts? I'll be honest, I do. Perhaps each and every post and many a times, I edit a single post repeatedly.

Well, it shows that I'm so stuck in my head or may be I'm confused sometimes Or may be I'm over cautious about what I write , sometimes it just doesn't sound too good, I edit my post . Sometimes I just miss out on mentioning something or the other or it is the effect of .

I know, it is not a good habit and I'm trying to unlearn this practice but anyway, this is for fun to know how different (good?) you are at conversing on a forum.

What about you? How many times do you edit your post? Do you edit each and every post like me? Some posts? It will be fun to know ...

Quote Originally Posted by Adarsh View Post
    So do you edit your posts? I'll be honest, I do. Perhaps each and every post and many a times, I edit a single post repeatedly.

Well, it shows that I'm so stuck in my head or may be I'm confused sometimes Or may be I'm over cautious about what I write , sometimes it just doesn't sound too good, I edit my post . Sometimes I just miss out on mentioning something or the other or it is the effect of .

I know, it is not a good habit and I'm trying to unlearn this practice but anyway, this is for fun to know how different (good?) you are at conversing on a forum.

What about you? How many times do you edit your post? Do you edit each and every post like me? Some posts? It will be fun to know ...
    I know why you opened this poll thread here, and I appreciate your honest question on the other thread, so...

I'll be honest too!

After 7 years here, I no longer care too much about typos or missing things like attachments on some of my posts...

I used to be like you, and worried too much about my English or my grammar on my posts, but...

I'm too old for that shit by now!

I rather be an active member that post what I think at the moment, even if I make some mistakes, rather than been like some members that only come here to post once in a blue moon in order to complain about whatever, or just when they need something from the ABW community, and then just go into lurking mode again...

------------

About your question from the other thread, I didn't edit that post not even once, I just edit the "Preview Post" a million times!

Btw Andy, I still like that old AWB thread!

LOL loved reading your reply Mr. Sal, you have the ability to relate things/posts very well. I guess, that's the reason so many people like/admire you here, I do.

But now I'm wondering why I don't use the Preview Post .. I could use it and avoid any confusions. Sometimes editing posts may confuse other members as to what am I trying to say.

Hmm the reason why I don't use preview post is because I'm habitual of using the "quick reply" box and there ain't an option to preview my reply. I guess if I click Post Reply only then I get the option of clicking Preview Post.

Oh woooow, you remember my Pseudo name "Andy/Ady" and the AWB thread from 2008
    I just searched that thread and read through. What a noob-tube I was lol ..

On New Year 2010 eve I requested Michael to change my forum name to my real name, that was part of my New Year resolution lol.

(P.S. I was about to hit SUBMIT and at the last second I hit Preview Post lol. Guess, what, I did make a couple of changes in my post ... ah old habits don't go easily ).

Affiliate Manager
    I simply hate when I misspell "somethimg"

I edit once in a while I guess.

Think I have edited 5 post over the years for either typos or messed up html
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

ABW Ambassador
    I almost never edit posts

This is meant in a good way, but I don't care so much if I make a few typos here at ABW. We are all friends so it's OK.

Now if I were a new merchant posting for the first time, I would be little more careful. But I doubt many us care about an occasional typo.

I'm habitual of using the "quick reply" box and there ain't an option to preview my reply.
    I don't like that "quick reply" box too much for that reason...

I think the "quick reply" box is only useful for one of these things:

Drive-by posts.
    Contests post.
    The Cancel thread.
    People that use Twitter, a lot.
    PWI...

Btw, I don't think that "Mr. Edit" is going to reply on this thread any time soon... Trust me...

Affiliate Manager Matt McWilliams's Avatar
    I'll edit something if I catch a major typo or someone reports it to me.

Other reasons I will edit:

If someone points out an inaccuracy to me. Recently I wrote this post - Five SEO Tips for Page Titles - and wrote that Google only looks at the first 70 characters of a post title. Geno Prussakov pointed out an article that shows it is actually 66 with an ideal length of 64.

So I edited it.

I have also edited posts based on their SE ranking. Occasionally I will find that a blog post that I did not even think twice about is ranking #2 for a certain really good keyphrase. In that case, I will go back and optimize it a bit.

I would say that about 1 out of 6 posts gets edited for these various reasons. I have found that for some reason though I rarely make typos even though I often write my posts in Dreamweaver without spell check. I think it's because I was a late convert to computers and still used typewriters as late as 2000.
    Matt McWilliams
    Call Me At: (317) 825-8826 | Follow Me On Twitter: @MattMcWilliams2 | Connect With Me On LinkedIn

I remember somebody who was notorious for making posts that would rile a particular person or group of persons up, and then after they responded, he would double back and edit his original posts, and his "marks" would wind up looking like raving lunatics who were out to get him.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by davidh View Post
    I remember somebody who was notorious for making posts that would rile a particular person or group of persons up, and then after they responded, he would double back and edit his original posts, and his "marks" would wind up looking like raving lunatics who were out to get him.
    Who was that? They still a member?

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sal View Post
    PWI...
    What's PWI?

Quote Originally Posted by mayfly View Post
    What's PWI?
    Just look at that smiley --->

PWI = Posting While Intoxicated I assume? Haha.

I proofread my longer posts, just to be sure I didn't miss a key or anything - which I do often when my mind is going faster than my fingers. But, my shorter posts I just throw up there.
    Jill Swartwout, President
    Beaches and Towns Network, Inc

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sal View Post
    Btw, I don't think that "Mr. Edit" is going to reply on this thread any time soon... Trust me...
    I so very understand what you are saying
    But all on a good trust worthy note

ABW Ambassador
    Each one many times over. This one has been redone 4 times already.

It depends on whether or not I proof read. If I proof read I usually end up editing something. No way my hands can keep up with my head so I often leave words out.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

Here or on my blog or in articles that I write for other sites - almost never. Even if there is something factually incorrect in what I've written, I will not correct it in the main body of the post in such a way that it looks like I got it right the first time. I'll either post the correct information in the comments (or if here, later in the thread) or I'll edit the post and put the correct information at the end, like this:

[edit]
    Earlier, I wrote that there are 66 blue widgets available for purchase but that only girls between the ages of 21 and 33 with brown hair and high cheekbones would be allowed to purchase. That's incorrect. It's blonde hair, not brown. Sorry.
    [/edit]

I do that for two reasons: first, I prefer the old-school method of admitting you made a mistake. It's healthy. Second, I think the readers appreciate knowing you're not perfect and you can admit you made a mistake. It's good for your image.
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel M. Clark View Post
    I do that for two reasons: first, I prefer the old-school method of admitting you made a mistake. It's healthy. Second, I think the readers appreciate knowing you're not perfect and you can admit you made a mistake. It's good for your image.
    Daniel, that's a wow reply and a wow idea for blog owners/writers/authors. You are right, readers like it when author says, sorry I'm not perfect, I do make mistakes at times. It shows that you care about your readership, you try your best to come up with good content but when something is not correct, you are accountable to your readers. I think it is a very good strategy for blog management.

However, this thread is specifically for Forum interaction Daniel and my friend I'm the one who can't live without the EDIT button

Oh yayyyyy! There's someone else besides me who chose the 5th option

Even in a forum setting though (which I referenced ) we're still writing for the benefit of the other forum members. To me, writing is writing regardless of the website format. We write things with the goal of getting a response - and thanks for responding to what I wrote
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

I'm an edit freak. Facebook makes me crazy because you cannot edit. I would guess I edit most of my posts at least twice.
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel M. Clark View Post
    Even in a forum setting though (which I referenced ) we're still writing for the benefit of the other forum members. To me, writing is writing regardless of the website format. We write things with the goal of getting a response - and thanks for responding to what I wrote
    I get that
    Quote Originally Posted by leeann View Post
    I'm an edit freak. Facebook makes me crazy because you cannot edit. I would guess I edit most of my posts at least twice.
    Welcome to the club! 3 votes and still counting
    Certainly feels good to know that you are not the only one killing the EDIT button

Whoopie .. by the way, has anyone ever observed the EDIT button carefully?

It has a scissor . Hmmm I'm just wondering, scissor is for "cutting". Which means, you post something and then use the scissor to cut/hide something outta your post (dicey dicey). Hmm that's not what I use the button for, I just use it to amend/correct things and/or add more to my posts.

Almost never...unless there's a spelling mistake...which is almost never

Once in a while, I'll edit -but I've tried to get into the habit of going for the "Preview Post" option.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast