Thread: AppleVacations.com Checkout Error

Affiliate Manager ParadigmWilliam's Avatar
    AppleVacations.com Checkout Error
    So I just got off the phone with my future sister in law and they where booking a honeymoon with her fiancee and I sent them to my Travel Deals site where they found a deal through Apple Vacations. They clicked through my banner ad and when going through the checkout got an error saying they where unable to complete and they had to call in to book their order.

I would appreciate some explanation. Seems like a sneaky tactic to avoid paying affiliates.

Apple Vacations AM's if you want to PM I can send you more details for you to investigate.

EDIT: I have been contacted by someone from AV and we are working on it. I will update this post with the outcome. Hopefully this was an isolated incident.
    Last edited by ParadigmWilliam; June 22nd, 2010 at 05:00 PM.
    [URL="http://www.manageaffiliatelinks.com/"][COLOR="Red"][B]Manage Affiliate Links[/B][/COLOR][/URL] - Redirect Dead, Expired, or Broken Links

[URL="http://www.wpcoupon.com/"][COLOR="Blue"][B]WP Coupon[/B][/COLOR][/URL] - Turn Wordpress into a Coupon Site!

Affiliate Network Rep
    Thanks for the heads-up, William. Once we receive the additional data you and I discussed we'll follow up and then post the resolution here.

Please stay tuned...

Karen V.

Affiliate Network Rep
    I heard back from the client today and he approved the sale. I'm waiting for the transaction ID so we can manually enter this into the system.

Thanks for being patient during this process.

Karen

Affiliate Manager ParadigmWilliam's Avatar
    Thanks a lot. Just waiting for it to post to my account. Haven't seen it yet.
    [URL="http://www.manageaffiliatelinks.com/"][COLOR="Red"][B]Manage Affiliate Links[/B][/COLOR][/URL] - Redirect Dead, Expired, or Broken Links

[URL="http://www.wpcoupon.com/"][COLOR="Blue"][B]WP Coupon[/B][/COLOR][/URL] - Turn Wordpress into a Coupon Site!

Affiliate Network Rep
    Hi William,

The manual posting is done on our end at the end of the month. You should see this appear in your MA in the next 2 weeks.

Please LMK if you have any further questions!

Thank you,
    Karen

PW, you "sounded an alarm" . . or at least sounded alarmed. What's missing in the thread is the "explanation". Anyone care to elaborate . . assuming it wouldn't be personally embarassing . . like an overlimit CC.

KV, how would this sale "track to the affiliate" if the purchaser called AV (after the "fail") . . but never bothered to alert the affiliate?
    I'll get the hang of it eventually. :0)

Affiliate Network Rep
    The client was having site issues at the time and that's why the user was prompted to contact the call center. William provided me with his sister's reservation number, so we could verify it within AV's system. From there we manually credited the sale to his account.

LMK if you have additional questions!
    Karen

First, kudos to you - KV - for seeing that PW was paid his due. Nicely done.

So, as to my question (above), it appears that "but for" this being a family member - who called PW, who then contacted you - chances are there would have been no follow-up by PW and no commission paid, right?

Or are AppleVacations systems configured to make certain that doesn't happen: 1) the call center is directed to ask how they got to the site . . when the site failed; 2) the "failure message" notifies the visitor to make a note of where they were arriving from "just in case . . (whatever); 3) the failure, if it was a CC processing issue, would not result in the a) deletion of the cookie data and b) the system would retain the personal data entered, at the time of the attempted purchase, so credit for the referral would be given when the deal finally closed?

Notice I'm suggesting a very affiliate friendly "industry standard" (someday) system . . which seems only fair when the failure to process has nothing to do with the kindly affiliate. Still, it would be reassuring to know AppV did make an effort to track the sale despite their system problems. But, I'm guessing here, IF that were the case - that the system was designed to capture referral data "just in case" - than your intervention would not have been required.
    Last edited by BeepBeep; January 25th, 2011 at 09:00 PM.
    I'll get the hang of it eventually. :0)

9. Newsletter Signup