newbie question on changing WP themes
    I'm sorry if this is really basic. I just moved my beginner site to a wordpress site. I've already learned a lot on there in just a night. However, if I do decide early on that I need to change the theme--how much changes or gets lost if you change the theme, and can you go back if it doesn't work?

I know if I change it again to something even more simple I'll do it pretty soon.

Setting up a new theme can take some work, as it won't be perfect immediately, but you can always go back to your previous theme, and your previous site will be intact.

If the changes you made are theme-specific, then you will lose your customizations if you switch to another theme.
    Yes, you can always revert to the previous theme and the changes you made to it would still be there as long as you did not uninstall (delete) and reinstall the theme.
    Michelle
    Affilorama Group Ltd
    Affiliate Marketing by Affilorama | Free SEO Software by Traffic Travis

The preview feature allows you to see what your site will look like before activating the theme.

And if you have activated a new theme but change your mind later, as the above answers mentioned, you can change the old theme back.

SEO: A Specialty - Web Design: Slow or outsourced andbeyond's Avatar
    The Call is coming from Inside the House!
    One of the neat things about Wordpress is that the content will still be there.

All the text on the posts and pages will stay even when changing themes. The pictures you added and any other features will still be there.

Usually the main thing to do is to go to widgets and reset your sidebar. Some themes have custom fields and settings but most are optional or not that needed to work.

GL

Thank you! All good tips, I feel a little better about going in and working with this one for a while to see if it will work out.

Try it, you can always go back to the original. Make sure Google Analytics is still installed though when you switch over. It wont be if you manually added the code to the original theme.

THen you just have to make adjustments to widgets, and any theme specific customizations. Its pretty painless really.

http and a telephoto
    If you use widgets in your sidebars instead of editing the theme files you will lose very little when you switch. If you edit actual theme files you will have more work to do setting up the new theme, but as noted, the old theme will still be there untouched.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Some themes have custom fields and settings, For changing the theme go to widgets and just reset the slidebar, this is the main thing followed to change the theme, you can even chane to previous theme easily

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread