I hope to hell I get this judge if ever I do anything wrong. What a bloody farce this makes of American justice.
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> WASHINGTON: Martha Stewart, billionaire lifestyle guru and designer of homes for the rich and famous, was on Friday sentenced to five months in prison, another five months of home confinement and two years of supervision, for lying to investigators about a dodgy 2001 stock sale.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    One day parasites and their ilk will be made illegal, I bet a few Lawyers will be pissed off when the day comes.
    Mr. Spitzer is fetching it nearer

YouTrek

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Gordon:
    I hope to hell I get this judge if ever I do anything wrong. What a bloody farce this makes of American justice.
    QUOTE]

Im just glad that she got something, I was waiting for another celbrity to get off the hook for doing something that a normal person would be crucified for.

ABW Ambassador
    Seemed fair to me.

This was for lying to investigators in an investigation that resulted in no criminal charges related to what she lied about. (Some people need to learn to keep their mouths shut.)

5 months in prison, 5 months of house arrest and 2 years probation is the minimum sentence for what she was convicted of. Doesn't seem unusual to me when there is no prior criminal record. I'm not convinced the average Joe Shmoe would get more time and don't think it is fair to insist on treating her to a greater sentence any more than it is to let her off because of who she is.

Lots of people don't like her and I'm certainly no big fan either, but I'm not sure what penalty everyone wants to see her get. Life imprisonment? Death? Perhaps cutting her tongue out?

Wayne

It amazes me how many people supported an impeached president for doing nearly the same crime.

ABW Ambassador
    Impeached only means charged. Clinton was never convicted of any crime except in the minds of some, for lying about sex.

Similarly Richard Nixon was never convicted, having fled the presidency as the House of Representatives were about to vote to impeach (charge) him. Lots of folk still supported him after his resignation despite the wounding he gave American political democracy.

It remains to be seen how the lies of the current resident of the White House will play out. I understand there still are those that support him.

Wayne

Martha Stewart = B!TCH

Martha Stewart is not a pleasant woman. She is not what she appears to be on television, and she has little true regard for her fans and the people who support her.

I almost choked when she commented how sad she was that 200 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia employees and their families were out of a job and suffering because of this lawsuit. Please...what a load of cr@p!

Andy

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Martha Stewart is not a pleasant woman. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    May well be true. However sentencing guidelines don't allow for a judge to tack on extra years of imprisonment because of it.

Wayne

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> However sentencing guidelines don't allow for a judge to tack on extra years of imprisonment because of it. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    You are right there NorthernStudio. One should not make a distinction on a persons general behaviour, sod it hang em all.

Keep our prisons empty...........hang em.
    One day parasites and their ilk will be made illegal, I bet a few Lawyers will be pissed off when the day comes.

YouTrek

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gordon:
    Keep our prisons empty...........hang em. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    We have lots of trees up here for gallows and some lucky logger might make a buck or two but our big industry is prisons. Sorry, our economy requires full prisons.

Wayne

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Martha Stewart is not a pleasant woman. She is not what she appears to be on television, and she has little true regard for her fans and the people who support her. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How do you know this?

I don't know what she is really like and I don't care either. I probably wouldn't like her if I knew her but I have had wishes she would come over and decorate my house, garden and do a little cooking. I think my wife has the same wishes.

Regarding the knock on pres Busch and Nixon etc. I don't really support Busch so much as I didn't support his political opponent in 2000. Unfortunately this year won't be much different. I'm not a die hard republican but I'm definately not for being more laxed on abortion.

There's gonna be a swingin!

I think it was fair for what she did for a first time offender.

I also think that the punishments metted out by society outside the legal system were quite substantial and in keeping with the crime.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Martha Stewart did herself in from a PR standpoint by creating an illusion of perfection that is unattainable. When she was discovered to have feet of clay lots of people were only too happy to see her empire collapse.

I never could stand to watch her on TV because she appeared to be on heavy doses of horse tranquilizers. But I admit to the guilty pleasure of reading her catalogs and lusting after everything in them.

Danbury Prison ain't so bad. I hear there's a nice view from the cells.

I seem to remember she also screwed thousands of her affiliates ............... ok ok I'll get out of the way I know you want to throw the rope over that branch

YouTrek

I know people who personally know Ms. Stewart, and they have told me about her.

And as for Judges, they can do whatever the H3LL they want to do, and damned the law! I live with a lawyer, and today's Judges are ABOVE THE LAW. I hear some pretty horrendous stories about the decisions that Judges make, they ruin lives and they don't give a cr@p. They also don't have to follow the law if they don't want to.

Andy

ABW Ambassador
    Andy,

Still want to know what the problem with this sentence is? The judge followed sentencing guidelines for the crime that was committed. What would be a more appropriate sentence?

Wayne

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    She deserves every bit of it as pay back for the way her Linshare program treated affiliates. 100.00 minimum, Zero Cookie days ,over priced goods and tracking of sales which seemed bogus on all test purchases. ***** didn't pay anyone of her affiliate pions squat and folded the program without paying a dime to those duped by her name. Soon as too many aproached the 100.00 minimum ...folded. Call it come uppance Karma.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Wayne,

Don't you think this sends the wrong message to people? Big, rich Martha Stewart gets a minimal sentence for her white collar crime. She basically gets a slap on the hand, and a year from now all will be forgotten.

The amount of money involved in the ImClone stock sale was pocket change to Martha, yet a fortune for some. Martha even said it "wasn't a great deal of money." Just $40,000 or so...

You can be sure that if Martha wasn't who she is, and didn't have the money to pay a top legal team to represent her, it would have been a much stiffer sentence. The little guys are the ones who suffer the most, while the wealthy and powerful do whatever they want, with minimal punishment if they get caught.

Judges do whatever they want to do in this country, and no one can stop them. It's a bad system, and it doesn't work. It's broken.

Andy

ABW Ambassador
    I don't have statistics for perjury sentences so can't tell you what the little guys get in similar circumstances. And perjury is what she was convicted of. Many people think she was charged with a white collar crime for inside trading or the like. Perjury is not a "white collar" crime.

Perjury in connection with violent or drug related charges will get more time. Or purjury by someone with a prior record or if the perjury occured during trial. The maximum, I believe, is 5 years.

A former cop involved in the brutal NYC "broomstick" attack on a suspect got the maximum of 5 years for perjury.

There is some logic in the sentencing guidelines and Federal law mandates that judges follow them. I don't think we truly have the "wild west" justice system many people believe.

Wayne

Web Ho - Design B!tch ~Michelle's Avatar
    The sad thing is even though she was sentenced, she still is not in jail.

If it were you or me, we would have been whisked right out of the courtroom onto the prison bus.

She immediately filed an appeal, which lets her stay out of jail until the appeal is heard which, from what the news said could be two or more years.

I also know someone online that knows her (was/is a neighbor of hers) and said she is a horrid b!tch and not at all like she puts off on tv.
    ~Michelle
    "All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy."
    "Work to become, not to acquire." -- Confucius

Web Ho - Design B!tch ~Michelle's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by NorthernStudio:
    Andy,

Still want to know what the problem with this sentence is? The judge followed sentencing guidelines for the crime that was committed. What would be a more appropriate sentence?

Wayne <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

From what the news said the judge didn't want to let her off completely, so the judge gave her the absolute min. allowed.

I don't necessarily think she should have gotten the max, but she she have gotten more than she did.

You or I would have.
    ~Michelle
    "All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy."
    "Work to become, not to acquire." -- Confucius

I am still shocked by the need for JAIL.

JAIL was intended to protect society from people that could cause harm.

Lying (perjury) will not prevent Martha from being the Liar she is, I do not need her in Jail to feel safe and able to sleep.

As the years have gone by people chronically think JAIL is the answer - well it is not!

If the crime is money - take away all the money! It’s a better justice than any jail time can remedy.
    If the crime is theft – take all there stuff and see how they like it.
    The crime is sex: JAIL ( we know what happens in jail)
    And so on….

I think the punishment should fit the crime, screw forcing us tax paying people to provide shelter and food for criminals, lets start handing out JUSTICE as it should be remedied.

I have to disagree with you a little bit SandraR.
    "If the crime is money - take away all the money!" - No hang them then they won't cheat again.
    "If the crime is theft – take all there stuff and see how they like it" - No hang them then they won't steal again.

Take this Stewart woman just think about it. What kind of a woman must she be?
    She is worth millions and millions (good luck to her with all her hard earnt money) yet she thought nothing of stealing or cheating the ordinary working man/woman out of some of the small change he/she had. No SandraR she deserved a lot more than she got.

This world has far too many do gooders who think these bad buggers can be saved by treating them lieniently. I say hang them or kill them in any fashion and start saving "Joe ordinary the likes of me and you.
    I'm sick to death of reading about some poor old man or woman who has been murdered or raped or had everything they own stolen from them and the friggin judge saying to the perp "oh poor man he had a hard childhood let us give him another chance" Sorry SandraR I've seen it far too often.

We also get bloody young kids sometimes they are not even old enough to go to the shop on their own yet some scum that you want to reprieve has taken their life or whatever, no sorry SandraR, jail was introduced to protect the law abiding citizens of this world it is time to ensure we stay safe. It is time someone stood up for the repressed ordinary citizen who is 99.999% of the time the VICTIM and did to the perps what they do to us.

On a different tangent the parasites and the people who use their programs have proven beyond any doubt whatsoever that a thief is a thief is a thief, period!. They will not change, can not change, the lure of easy money is too hard for them to resist. This is why I say so often in the vain hope that some Network will hear me and get rid of the scum, that they will never change. They have proven beyond this all doubt by trying to set up numerous accounts in diferent names in the hope that if or when they get caught some of their accounts will stay live for a little longer.

YouTrek

Gordon,

I am not for leniency, but these liars or thieves are only interested in the mighty dollar.
    I f you take the only possession they think is worth everything on this planet $$$$$ away from them, it will be a worse punishment that jail.

If you take the booze away form an alcoholic -----they will suffer…
    If you take food away from a glutinous person -----they will suffer
    If you cut off the nuts of a rapist ---- they will suffer
    And so on..

I am NOT trying to be nice -- I am saying take what they value most. For some the value of freedom is not PRIMARY, but the pursuit of whatever singular item they are obsessed with is.

Martha’s “SIN” yes I said it.. “SIN” is greed.. Take away all her money and give it to whatever cause. Juts take it away from her and make her homeless that is true justice!

Enron convicted: should have had every single dime taken away from them and given to those they steal from. PERIOD.

JAIL MY ASS! Jail is to good for some of these people!

I see SandraR yes, you are correct, I guess I am a little bit more hard line than most. Probably because I am law abiding and don't like liars whereas my father was the type who lied and cheated his way through life and he expected me to do the same.

My opinion and outlook on this is anyone who knows the difference between right and wrong and still insists on doing the crime should be prepared to pay the price.

Personaly if I am starving I will starve, I will not go to the corner shop and steal some food. What I cannot afford I do without. I expect others to have the same morals and ethics and if they haven't then hang them for all I care.

But I will add if any police officer or lawyer or DA's or whatever else you have in this game, is found to have trumped up or planted evidence just to convict someone then he/she must suffer the same fate meted out to their victim.

YouTrek

26. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread