How Can Searches Vary So Much?
    I'm not sure if this is the right forum but here goes -

I have been doing research on specific long tail keywords and I don't see how there can be such a discrepancy in the search totals. When I use the Google Keyword Tool (I know it's a bit inflated), I get monthly searches in the 60,000 range. When I use GTrends, it has 8 searches in the past 365 days.

How can this be?

ABW Ambassador
    With the Google Keyword Tool are you looking at Broad, Phrase or Exact? I always use Exact.

On Google Trends, where does it show search total?

Quote Originally Posted by Trust View Post
    With the Google Keyword Tool are you looking at Broad, Phrase or Exact? I always use Exact.
    Duh! I do that too and I forgot this time. It shows 2400 now. Still a bit higher than 8 in 365 days!

Thanks Trust!

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by bettylou View Post
    Duh! I do that too and I forgot this time. It shows 2400 now. Still a bit higher than 8 in 365 days!

Thanks Trust!
    No problem. But is there a search count with Google Trends? The only thing I see is the scaling numbers or whatever you call it.

No, as far as I know, Google don't reveal search volume for Google Trends.

Quote Originally Posted by Trust View Post
    No problem. But is there a search count with Google Trends? The only thing I see is the scaling numbers or whatever you call it.
    Sorry, I guess what I am using is actually the Google Trends and Wordtracker Mashup found here.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by bettylou View Post
    Sorry, I guess what I am using is actually the Google Trends and Wordtracker Mashup found here.
    That one looks like a mess, not accurate at all.

air conditioners - 1,395 a year? 4 searches a day?

Says searches on their partner networks, don't know which ones those are. Since people mainly use Google, I would stick with the Google Keyword Tool. If they were factoring that in (Google), then their numbers would be somewhere in the same neighborhood.

air conditioners - 673,000 exact searches for May according to Google, 21,700 per day, lot more than 4 a day.

To Trust's point, the math Google uses in Trends or Insights is useless unless you add context.

It's valuable in picking out seasonality, or in COMPARING search terms, but not in identifying search volume for one specific term. It's essentially a measure of the popularity of a term against ALL Google searches, or a specific category if you choose to run it that way.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

yes the same thing is happening with me ,, all of the tools are not same, but alot them give different results. if we take example of back links checker, there is great differece between yahoo, google and other tools.

well, i am using Google tredn and word tracker at all, but one thing every tools do have difference with other, so we should thing about it, with our experience .

with the passage of time, every thing change,... and every thing get different name and known with different names.... so according to the new trends, technologies and the the the people mind set, many of the people they are working on search engines algorithm... and they bring modifications in them gradually...so for every thing we must be updated with new technologies, trends and thinking...

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread