This past March I bought a new computer (a Dell). My old computer never gave me any problem (also a Dell). But it was almost five years old, and as I was starting to get into data feeds I needed more space and more power in general. Besides, I wanted the tax write-off for next year.

So I buy a nice Dell, with lots of storage and memory. Windows XP pro (previous one was Windows Me).

About a month and a half after getting the computer, I start getting the blue screen with a message saying something to the effect that Windows had to stop to protect my computer. And something about "beginning dump of physical memory" "Physical dump complete"

A few times of this, and one day the HD just died. Totally dead. I lost everyhting.

So I get my HD replaced by Dell. No explanation why the HD failed. I'm happy thinking it was a defective HD, even though replacing everything has been a pain.

That was about three weeks ago. Last night I get the dreaded blue screen again! The message says "Bad_pool_caller" beginning dump of physical memory" "Physical dump complete".

It happened again today.

What can be happening? I haven't installed or changed anything! I can't go through another HD faliure so soon!

My old computer never, ever gave me any trouble, and now I spend more on this to get grief and pain...

I realize I need to call Dell, but I want to be armed with some information so I don't get dismissed so easily.

This is driving me crazy. Please, someone who knows what this can be, or has any advice, please help....

I think you had a virus. A friend of mine had the exact same problem and it turned out he was infected by a number of viruses. Make sure you have some type of virus protection.

ABW Ambassador
    Oh-oh, memory problems!

You might check Microsoft's page on this, which includes possible causes including faulty drivers, antivirus scanners & hardware. Are you using any of the drivers from your old system, like video drivers, etc?

shortened url to fix page

Wayne

When I worked for radio shack in PA., the compaq millenium computer was supposed to be the best, with all the concerns about the new millinum,unfounded, but widespread by the media, even the government paniced.When msn upgrared me to msn9, I didn't have enough memory, the computer froze, a call to my local computer tech company,they put a new memory strip in, in 5 minutes, and it was cheap.Now, that Compaq sold out to Hewlett, and it costs $45 just to talk to their tech support, i dumped any more calls, once the video board was shot, I had a new one in the mail next day, and it worked fine.When my son wanted to buy a new computer, the computer tech company, told me to tell him, stay away from dell,what I did was check one of my merchants,J&R computer, they have loads of better computers, IBM is best, but expensive,try a computer tech in your area, a simple memory strip will increase your memory, may not make the Dell any better,you may be able to auction off the one you got on amazon.com, that worked for some of my neighbors.it's like buying something from Walmart, you don't get a long warranty, Staples has a better choice,and I don't work for any of them. My nickles worth
    JJ

Thanks so much for repliying! I really appreciate it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
    I think you had a virus. A friend of mine had the exact same problem and it turned out he was infected by a number of viruses. Make sure you have some type of virus protection.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Spencer, I have AVG Anti-virus system and run it every day. I just ran it again just in case, and it didn't detect anyhting.
    Oh-oh, memory problems!

You might check Microsoft's page on this, which includes possible causes including faulty drivers, antivirus scanners & hardware. Are you using any of the drivers from your old system, like video drivers, etc?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

NorthernStudio, I haven't installed anything at all from my old computer. Everything here is new. I checked the link you provided (thanks!). I'm not very computer savy, but I hope it helps me figure out something.

When I worked for radio shack in PA., the compaq millenium computer was supposed to be the best, with all the concerns about the new millinum,unfounded, but widespread by the media, even the government paniced.When msn upgrared me to msn9, I didn't have enough memory, the computer froze, a call to my local computer tech company,they put a new memory strip in, in 5 minutes, and it was cheap.Now, that Compaq sold out to Hewlett, and it costs $45 just to talk to their tech support, i dumped any more calls, once the video board was shot, I had a new one in the mail next day, and it worked fine.When my son wanted to buy a new computer, the computer tech company, told me to tell him, stay away from dell,what I did was check one of my merchants,J&R computer, they have loads of better computers, IBM is best, but expensive,try a computer tech in your area, a simple memory strip will increase your memory, may not make the Dell any better,you may be able to auction off the one you got on amazon.com, that worked for some of my neighbors.it's like buying something from Walmart, you don't get a long warranty, Staples has a better choice,and I don't work for any of them. My nickles worth
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

James, my computer has 2 GB of memory, so I don't think that's the problem. I bought a Dell because my old computer never gave me a problem, so much so that I never needed to call costumer support for it. Actually it still works great, it just isn't enough for my current needs (almosr five yrs old. Ancient!).

I still have warranty from Dell. They sent me a technician the next day after I called and he replaced the HD, all without cost to me. However, a HD faliure is a big deal, and I don't want to go through it again. Obviously something else is the problem and is affecting the HD.

It wouldn't really be cost effective for me to get rid of this one and get a new one, so I must deal with this for now.

I'll get you through your problems. First of all anyone that is serious about using a computer to make a living with should avoid all name brand systems. These are built with junk/economy parts in order for these companies to stay competitive. Don't buy a Dell, IBM, COMPAQ, HP Gateway ETC. Instead go to your local computer repair type store and have them custom build a computer for you. Most likely you'll pay the same amount of money as you would otherwise if not you'll build a better system with a better operating system (yes there is a difference in windows xp and windows xp hp or dell etc.) You'll get a quality mother board (which is most likely what your current problem is) you'll not get a crap load of extra promotional junk software from the company branded computers. YOu'll not get subscriptions to AOL and other crap like that.

BTW it's nearly impossible for your problem to have been a virus since you changed hd's unless you picked up the same one twice.

My advice right now if you can do it is to return the computer. If not tell them the motherboard is faulty.

Another thing to consider is if you are using old programs from your last computer they may not be working compatible with XP

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    You don't back up the data on your hard drive?

Even after losing everything once?

Can't you justbung a CDR into your drive, and drag and drop your important directories over to it?

Hi Netsu,
    If you can PM me, I'll shoot you the email address of my friend's tech who fixed the problem. He didn't know off hand what the problem was and therefore just thought he had a virus. Perhaps he can shed some light on this.

Heyder, thank for the advice. I appreciate it.

Drewbert, I back up, but it's a pain to have your HD die on you, have it replaced, and start to have problems again just three weeks later.

Hi Netsu,
    If you can PM me, I'll shoot you the email address of my friend's tech who fixed the problem. He didn't know off hand what the problem was and therefore just thought he had a virus. Perhaps he can shed some light on this.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Spencer, this is really kind of you! Thank you for the offer! PM on the way.

Thanks to all of you for your thoughts and replies.

wish I could buy HD's with the same prebundle deal for OS and apps the big names get :P

XP Pro and Office isn't cheap.

I'd look at memory or motherboard or even power supply as potential problems when it comes to blue screens and random restarts.

Had same problems (blue screen)with my new dell computer when I bought it. The new computer came with the wrong type of memory for that computer.
    I contacted dell and they sent me the right memory. No blue screen any more.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Heyder:
    Instead go to your local computer repair type store and have them custom build a computer for you. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>There can be problems with this, too. These types of companies can come and go. If you're not technically adept, you might be left with nobody to support your system. Also, what's to keep them from using cheap components? Compatibility problems are more common from home-grown systems, too.

In general, I think you're right, but it really depends on the shop you have build the system.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    Since your computer is an important tool, and since you're writing off the cost as a deduction, it might be worth while thinking about getting a system that isn't going to cause you as many problems - go buy yourself a Mac G5.

Granted my old computer was working fine,untilMSN upgraded me to msn9,then I didn't have the memory capacity,I called the closest
    computer technicians I could find, Key-Row,they came and put in a new memory strip,increasing my capity more than I will hope to need.Then I found out from MSN that the warranty on the MSN millenium edition had expired a year ago, so they upgraded me to windows xp, total cost around $230, much less than a new one.When a neighbor wanted to know if Dell was any good, I had her call Key-row, they said never,in additon to repair, upgrades,etc. they also rebuild old computers,with all new parts, and sell them for about $150 to $200 above the cost of parts, and they guarantee them,not like the 90 days Walmart and others do, most of the clerks don't know what a vcr is, how can they explain how a computer works, or what details are, like capacity, etc., they are located in North Jersey's most remote area, and if anyone is interested, call them at 973-827-0484, now, I am not teeling anyone to do so, since they got me back online in a day, they also send each of their clients warnings about new viruses, and worms, very reliable.I was lucky to find them, since the cost of MSN,computers,domain registration, websites are not getting cheaper,that's only my nickle, and thanks for the promotion to full member,we all have expenses to pay, in fact when the forum first mentioned parasites, they sent me ad aware,free, and so far, I managed to quarantine over 4,000 parasites,which is why my sales weren't bringing any earnings.There is a lot to be learned on this forum, not offered by any other affiliate program.
    JJ

Everything Heyder said. I might not understand affiliate marketing; but, computers I'm pretty handy with. Build them yourself and replace the faulty parts as you need to.

My experience with XP Pro blue screen has always been either ATI Video Card conflicts with XP OS or a bad memory chip. You might consider looking there... both problems are easy to determine and/or fix.

John

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MichaelColey:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Heyder:
    Instead go to your local computer repair type store and have them custom build a computer for you. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>There can be problems with this, too. These types of companies can come and go. If you're not technically adept, you might be left with nobody to support your system. Also, what's to keep them from using cheap components? Compatibility problems are more common from home-grown systems, too.

In general, I think you're right, but it really depends on the shop you have build the system. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Definately, You want to work with a well estabished and reputable local shop. The kind of place that depends on their reputation to pay the bills. Also, I wouldn't ever pay a dime for a warranty on a computer but would insist on one at no extra cost.

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread