Exclamation AvantLink coupon feed suggestion
    Advertisers please assign only truly promotional text link or banner link as coupon, never put generic, brand or non-promotional link as coupon.

I have seen lots of advertisers spam the coupon feed with many non-promotional/non-coupon text links or banner links. And the good coupon links are sink to the bottom of the feed display.

Advertisers may have an option to set one or two coupon link as "sticky", so these sticky coupons will always appear on the top of a coupon feed no matter what. Please use sticky coupon to highlight the most attractive offer during that time period.

I have seen lots of advertisers spam the coupon feed with many non-promotional/non-coupon text links or banner links. And the good coupon links are sink to the bottom of the feed display.
    +1
    This is especially bad when we set a limit on the number shown (because of the spamming). Too many "coupons" are just plain sales copy like "Get your widgets from Joe's widgets" and just take up valuable space.

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    Thanks for the suggestion, I am going to email this thread URL over to our support/technical team.

Ok we talked over the sticky suggestion, and decided that we might have an even larger problem if merchants start stickying all campaigns they assign to their deal feeds.

Instead we are taking some steps to educate merchants more on how to properly utilize their coupon/deal feeds, and not spam it...staring with this article on our blog:

AvantLink Coupon/Deal Feed Etiquette

Thanks Gary

All merchants will be notified of the blog post ?

Also can you clarify Ad Title and Ad Text ?
    Which one will appear on the affiliate link ?

That's nothing you would need to worry about b/c that's from the merchant side of things. "Ad Text" though is the actual pre-configured link you would get, so you know.

Thank you Gary, I read that post last night and I hope it helps merchants take full advantage of the coupon/deals feed.

Bumping this thread in hopes that some merchants will take note. There are still some merchants who just don't get it. I have over 30 "coupons" from FetchDog showing up and about half of them are promoting one coupon code. If the coupon is valid for several different things, can't that show up in the wording?
    Instead of

collar on sale, coupon code cc123
    bowl on sale, coupon code cc123
    dog sweater on sale, coupon code cc123
    (each as a separate entry)

How about:
    Use Coupon Code cc123 to save on collars, bowls , sweaters and more!

Or more accurately:
    Use Coupon Code cc123 to save 10% off any purchase!

It just fills up the page and people are not likely to read through all that after they see 3 or 4 the same. I am more likely to just drop the FetchDog "coupons" from my feed or limit it to a random 2 coupons. The only reason I don't limit it is because I am quite likely to get two identical codes.

Another merchant's "coupon":
    # AquaSuperstore.com
    AquaSuperStore.com is YOUR #1 Discount Pool Supply Superstore!
    Expires: April 22, 2011

Umm..this is not a coupon.
    </coupon feed rant>

Gary, I know you have put the info out there, but it isn't sinking in yet.

Ok thanks. I will show Chuck this thread. He's FetchDog. And I can drop the folks at AquaSuperstore a line with a link to the deal feed etiquette blog post.
    Last edited by GravityFed; July 27th, 2010 at 02:07 PM. Reason: added program links

>> collar on sale, coupon code cc123
    >> bowl on sale, coupon code cc123

also make people think the coupon only apply to one product category only instead of sitewide coupon

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Nancy, thanks for bringing this to our attention. Was tied up with new business yesterday so wasn't able to response in a timely manner.

We have changed the coupon status for several existing text links and shortened the expiration dates for others. Will purge the database of outdated links and remove the coupon designation for others.

In the future will also shorter expiration dates on text links to help reduce the number in the database. This will take me a couple of weeks.

1. Any way to make the RSS coupon subscribe link workable in Google Chrome ?

2. Still hope there is a way to keep coupon offer with coupon code or most attractive offers to stay on top in feed display instead of being push to the bottom by a long list of other offers.

3. coupon "text only" feed, i wish the merchant name is just appear once on top on the same feed to reduce redundancy. Currently the merchant name appears again at every offer and occupy an entire line spacing.

3. coupon "banner only" feed, i wish the merchant name is just appear once on top on the same feed to reduce redundancy. Currently the merchant name appears again at every offer and occupy an entire line spacing.

4. coupon banner feed problem

the coupon banners list as follow

Offer A Banner 728*90
    Offer A Banner 468*60
    Offer A Banner 234*60
    Offer A Banner 125*125
    Offer A Banner 120*60
    Offer B Banner 728*90
    Offer B Banner 468*60
    Offer B Banner 234*60
    Offer B Banner 125*125
    Offer B Banner 120*60
    Offer C Banner 728*90
    Offer C Banner 468*60
    Offer C Banner 234*60
    Offer C Banner 125*125
    Offer C Banner 120*60

How can i make it display like the following

Offer A Banner 728*90
    Offer B Banner 728*90
    Offer C Banner 728*90

Can I pre-set a banner size "preference order" as my default system ?

such as i prefer banner size 300*250, if not available, then use 728*90, if not available, then use 468*60..., etc.

or
    such as i prefer banner size 125*125, if not available, then use 234*60, if not available, then use 468*60..., etc.

So the feed can display ALL different offers,
    and each same offer will not appear the second time in a different banner size.
    Last edited by Vrindavan; November 7th, 2010 at 12:29 AM.

We actually have a link on the merchant login screen right now that highlights deal feed etiquette for Q4, so hopefully that will help merchants maintain a more concise and compelling list.

As far as the other things on your list the best course of action is to email support or submit a ticket with specific feature requests, so we can evaluate the feasibility/possibility of those requests.

coupon feed coupon display order

Recently i discovered AvantLink coupon feed has followed an order actually. First they display all coupons without assign date range first. and at last they display coupon with expire date. And quite often the coupon with expire date is the one actually with a coupon code. But now they are at the bottom.

As most merchants' spamming the coupon feed problem still existed,
    so i suggest the following partial solution

The coupon with the shortest life span ranks the top.
    Coupons with expire date rank first and ordered by expire date.
    Coupons with no expire date at all display last.

This solution can help push real coupon code to display first in a long feed.

However, for a long term coupon code without expire date set, the method cannot help push it up to be more eye catchy.

The support require more affiliates having similar request, otherwise they will not consider the suggestion.

Regarding my previous post about redundancy of displaying duplicate banners of the same promo offer. The support replied back affiliates have to make their own custom changes after pulling the raw data from Avantlink. So for affiliates without programming skill, forget it then.

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread