More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Go to http://www.google.com/corporate/soft...rinciples.html and drop them a line giving your input - they could be a valuable partner since they have the bucks for the attorneys and lobbyists needed. They are losing as much or more than us in this whole battle against the thieves.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Well I sure wrote them my strong views on why the entire problem can be traced back to the Adwhores within the major networks monitizing theftware/spyware. Hopefully they pressure LS-BF-CJ and Performics to muzzle their BHO partners and all their affiliates from these shopper abusers. They need a "report a site" form for those pushing drive-by or hidden bundle installs to get them banned from Google.

So true..." Many internet users find that over time their computers become loaded with unwanted software - be it adware, spyware or just plain junk. This is because a few applications they installed came bundled with junk, and that junk generated more junk piled higher and deeper. We believe any situation where multiple applications are being installed should be made very clear to users, so that if you were to ask them several months later - "What's this?" - most will know where it came from and why it is there.

Usually there are complex business relationships among the companies participating in a bundle. This can result in well-intentioned companies benefiting from the distribution or revenue generated by software that does not benefit you. Getting paid to distribute, or paying money to be distributed with undesirable software enables more undesirable software. Responsible software makers and advertisers can work to prevent such distribution by avoiding these types of business relationships, even if they are through intermediaries.

We are alarmed by the size of this problem, which we estimate to be causing hundreds of millions of dollars to be changing hands annually. Because of this magnitude and user impact, strong action by the industry is imperative."
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

I am hoping people (especially some of the very well informed people of this forum) are giving their input to google!
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Well send in your war stories to the anxious ears at Google. Imagine the impact on the affiliate industry if Google banned all domains caught doing drive-by installs or hidden bundling of adware/spyware...

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

I used to be a pretty big Google advocate, and I'm still a fan, but more and more I have to wonder what they're really up to.

"You should be conspicuously notified of the functions of all the applications in a bundle."

That sounds good and all, but maybe the Google Toolbar terms of service should go so far.

What "third party software"...?

"YOU UNDERSTAND AND AGREE THAT YOU DOWNLOAD AND/OR USE THE GOOGLE TOOLBAR AND ALL THIRD PARTY SOFTWARE MADE AVAILABLE IN CONJUNCTION WITH OR THROUGH THE GOOGLE TOOLBAR AT YOUR OWN DISCRETION AND RISK AND THAT YOU WILL BE SOLELY RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGES TO YOUR COMPUTER SYSTEM OR LOSS OF DATA THAT RESULTS FROM THE DOWNLOAD OR USE OF GOOGLE TOOLBAR AND SUCH THIRD PARTY SOFTWARE."

I'm curious if they're really just gathering feedback on how to better monetize existing Google tools without a spyware uproar...

Sorry, I'm feeling cynical today.
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Eathan,

I don't think so. I've watched the actual information that google toolbar is transmitting many, many times and it's nothing more than exactly what they say if you have the PR feature turned on.

I think there are a couple of things going on for Google with this. First, is that the Google Toolbar is being labeled as spyware by most antispyware removal applications and Google wants the distinction made between their application and other applications such as websearch, coolsearch, etc.

The second is how hard Google is getting hit by spyware/adware applications with pop ups on their site and changing of their SE returns. This seems to be the track Google is taking to combat this problem.

Googles weapon is a loyal satisfied SE customer base getting irked at Google spammers and deceptive links. They are making a public statement that they will protect their user base from scumbag deceptive Adwhores, drive-by and bundled installers, by pulling those links from their SERPs.

They are looking at the list of drive-by install and bundling sites shown within the Spyware Blaster 3.1 program to bann any Google listing of those domains. They seek Google end-user feedback at phaseI and will put up a OUT THE BASTARDS form in phaseII.

ABW Ambassador
    I wish google would drop all the sites that carry scum from it's index.. that'd be nice

Hey all,

Don't get me wrong. As a former Google forum moderator at SEF and long time fan, I'm not bashing Google here.

I use the toolbar quite happily, have my homepage set to Google, use both AdWords and AdSense and will likely try for a shot at the IPO, but I would like to see some leadership by example on this sort of initiative.

Their current toolbar terms leave the door open for undisclosed third party software. This would seem to violate the spirit of the proposed initiative.

They also don't specifically say what they plan to do with information collected, so anything beyond "...we will strive to distribute our software only in bundles where all applications meet the above guidelines", including search results free of theftware pushers, is pure speculation.

I hope they effect some change, but I think the war may still be in the trenches with the affiliates and merchants most affected...
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

Basically, I sent an email to the effect:

"Currently, I spend $____ per month in adwords - If scumware is gone and my conversions go up, I will be using Google Adwords much more than now."

I believe that Google has an appreciation for legitimate affiliate sites since we provide a lot of business for them.

ABW Ambassador

July 18, 2004

To: EcomCity.com

Your idea of Google having a page where people
    can report thiefware/parasiteware/driveby downloads/crooked browser helper objects/etc is , in reality, a super idea that needs to be done.

Ban the crooks from the search engines!!

Google seems to be a company who's Mammas raised their boys right!

Okay, folks, here is that URL, again, that CheseHead said to contact:

http://www.google.com/corporate/soft...rinciples.html

Let Google have a "Page"ful!!

RadarCat
    http://www.os2warplinks.com

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread