Creating Affiliate Links in Wordpress
    I am sure many or all of you have accounts with several different affiliate networks. If you work in Wordpress, what is the best tool or plug-in available for creating affiliate links if you're signed up with several different networks?

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    If you want to rotate your ads, try my ad rotator script shown in my sig link. Otherwise, place code in text widgets shown in sidebars or use the Post Layout plugin to automatically place ads, top and/or bottom on each page or post. In each case, you will need to get tracking code with your ID from your network.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

You have to be more specific. What do you expect from the plugin?

Do you want it to create links automatically? Or does a simple link management tool suffice?

Do you plan to split test various offers?

Simple plugin might be free but as of now, I haven't see full featured affiliate tracking for WordPress... unless you are willing to pay for premium plugin or install it separately, not as part of WordPress.

http and a telephoto
    You want to get your links from the networks directly, then add them to an ad rotator plugin or just put them in posts and in your sidebars. That is always going to be the best way to post affiliate links, using a plugin or third party tool to create links out of regular links gives you another "link in the chain" that can break.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

your question is a bit vague, if you want something to make your links look pretty you can try linkhopper, it's a plugin that allows you to rewrite your outgoing links to whatever you want, like '/view/productname/'
    you can add as many links as you want obviously

Wink
    loxly, thanks to you and the other comments above. I agree with the potential problems involved when creating links through a third party.

Basically my dream would be a plug-in that would automatically recognize merchant links typed into Wordpress posts. For example, if I create a link to say:

merchant.com/randomproduct

Then the plug-in would automatically convert this using the affiliate network's redirect URL...

I agree with loxly. It is recommended to get links from networks directly to minimize errors. It will involve too much work for a plugin to support all various networks. And you don't want to leave a chance for bugs.

But if you really want such function, I think programming a separate plugin or module that reads from your database, which in turn got the data from updated datafeed, is doable. At least you get the links directly from a merchant.

This brings me to a related point... Does anyone know whether it is still necessary to encode URLs? For example, redirect affiliate links through CJ are always URLEncoded. However, I have tested many links and think current browsers can read normal links (i.e. plain non-encoded links) as well. Any ideas?

http and a telephoto
    It depends completely on whether the merchant (not the network) allows deep linking with custom links. If the merchant doesn't allow it, that is another reason to not do it automatically.

Take the 2 extra minutes to log into the network and grab the correct link code from them. The time you "gain" from automating links is not worth the lost income from the links being wrong. And at some networks (like CJ) your links might still go to the merchant, but you won't get credit - so you are giving them free traffic.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

With CJ, it is actually easy to make links without going through their system. If the merchant allows for redirect, all you need to do is replace the end URL string. I've done that thousands of times, and you will get credit. The Google Affiliate Network works the same way, though they for mysterious reasons are making some URL changes now (got an email about that yesterday or today).

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread