ABW Ambassador
    I just approached someone with a targeted content site that would suit certain Australian Native t-shirts and they wrote straight back saying all their ads go through google (they have adsense on every page) and "and part of the agreement is that ads are exclusive".. is this just someone who read the TOS wrong or someone with a special adsense deal?

Opinions please?

IMO they read the TOS wrong. That was my 1st impression/understanding as well. That is, until I finished my AM Coffee and read it again.

If so, you have to admire their loyalty.. LOL

John

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    They read it wrong. AdSense specifically says that affiliate links are okay. I forgot if that part is in the main Terms or in the FAQ though...might take awhile to find it due to Google's weird habit of spreading their Terms over multiple pages.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Maybe this is what they were referring to:

Competitive Ads and Services

We do not permit AdWords ads or search boxes accessing Google search services to be published on web pages that also contain what could be considered competing ads or services. This would include ads that mimic AdWords ads or otherwise appear to be associated with Google on your site. If you have elected to receive content-based AdWords ads, this would also include all other content-targeted ads. If you have elected to receive Google search services, this would include other search services on the same site and non-Google query-targeted ads. We do allow affiliate or limited-text links.

https://www.google.com/adsense/policies

The only thing that makes sense, really.

Catwoman

Yep, that's what got me confused - until you read the very last statement - which still left me wondering.

John

ABW Ambassador
    That's what she came back with - what you just pasted!!

I explained it the way I saw it and told her just about every affiliate I know combines affiliate and adsense links on their sites.

I even got google staff to look at my site and confirm that the affiliate text links were OK, and they had no problem with it.

LOl, This one made me really laugh.

But on a more serious note, yes, they read it wrong, and I am sure you know that by now : )

Best wishes !

The posted policies are an attempt to put the TOS in layman's terms. They may miss the mark...

From the terms:
    "You agree not to display on the same Web page in connection with which any Ad Unit, Ad, or Search Box is displayed (a "Results Page") any advertisement(s) that an end user of Your Site(s) would reasonably confuse with a Google advertisement or otherwise associate with Google. If You have elected to receive content-based Ads, You further agree not to display on any Results Page any non-Google content-targeted advertisement(s)."

She may be confusing relevant ads with automated contextual ads, or she may be loopy, but the terms of service outweigh the posted policies.

Cheers!
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread