Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Swimming a Mile for Cancer Research
    On September 19th, 2010 I will participate in the annual Baltimore Open Water Swim to Fight Cancer and I need your help!

I stumbled upon this opportunity via email from the gym where I swim and work out. As soon as I opened it, I immediately thought of the Affiliate Marketers Give Back Crew and Kim Salvino's wak for Breast Cancer a few years ago and I felt inspired. I USED to swim competitively, about 17 years ago...I may be much older now, but I could do this, and I SHOULD do this. SO, I am.

I, as well as many of us, know and love people who have passed away from various kinds of cancer as well as people who have beaten various kinds of cancer. This is just one little way that I can honor and support them.

My personal goal for this swim is to raise $1000. I would be touched and appreciative of anything anyone can give. Even if you can only give words of encouragement and support, every little bit helps in every way! No matter what you do, I thank you for helping me 'Make Waves to Fight Cancer!'

Check me out at http://www.swimacrossamerica.org/JillSwartwoutPepitone

(And yes, I will be wearing a GirlyChecks pink swim cap on the big day!)

*If this goes well, I think I will set a goal for myself to train throughout the winter to be able to do the 3 mile swim in 2011.
    Jill Swartwout, President
    Beaches and Towns Network, Inc

Awesome Jill!

What a great cause and challenge!

I can barely swim 1 lap so 1 mile is amazing to me!

That is awesome and I hope you'll see the sponsors lining up to beat your goal.

WTG, Jill. I know you can do it - 'cause we used to watch you train and compete.

I'll have to ask our accountant to see if "The Company" can afford a dollar or two of sponsor money.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Wow, that's wonderful Jill. I competed upto State level when I was Studying year 9 (think I was 14). Swimming 1 mile at that time was nothing because I could easily do 50 laps. Now I'm 33 and I don't think I can do even 10 laps lol .. Wish you all the best
    Fulltime webmaster and wordpress lover.

Thanks guys!

Adarsh, you're only 4 years ahead of me - I bet you'd be surprised at how many laps you could do now. I haven's swam since middle school and I hopped in to do laps for the first time in May, and I did a half mile easily on the very first day. A week later that was up to .75 mile. I WANTED to give up after 10 laps but once I pushed myself I was surprised at hoe many I could do, without stopping even. You should check out the website to see if there's gong to be a swim in your area anywhere. OR.....come to Baltimore and join me!
    Last edited by Bill; July 8th, 2010 at 11:17 AM. Reason: Spelling correction

Affiliate Network Rep Kim Salvino's Avatar
    Go, Jill, go!

Rooting for you and thanking you for participating!
    Kim Salvino, Client Services Director, Performance Horizon Group
    Reach me at kim.salvino(at)performancehorizon.com or on (443) 617-4036

Kim - you're the first donor! You rock my socks and flip my flops! BIG hugz to you! It really means a lot to me! Thank you SO much!

Affiliate Network Rep Kim Salvino's Avatar
    You are most welcome!

Stealing this, btw: You rock my socks and flip my flops!
    I've been laughing about it for the last 5 minutes!
    Kim Salvino, Client Services Director, Performance Horizon Group
    Reach me at kim.salvino(at)performancehorizon.com or on (443) 617-4036

Hmmm....just realized that some organized swims/races have you wear swim caps of certain colors based on your age group. So.....If I can't wear a GirlyChecks Pink swim cap...then it'll have to be a GirlyChecks Pink swimsuit!

Here's a little one from me but wish if they had allowed donations through Paypal.
    But anyway, all the best Jill. You are doing great and you deserve hugs from everyone here at ABW

Thanks you SO much, Adarsh! That is very kind of you! I'll be sure to mention the use of PayPal to my race contacts. You're tight, they definitely should start using that as a payment option.

I love all the support and words of encouragement that I've gotten from everyone here and on facebook and twitter. It's really touching and it's making me excited for the swim in just under 3 months!
    Last edited by Bill; July 8th, 2010 at 11:17 AM. Reason: Spelling correction

Thumbs up
    Jill, this is a wonderful cause and I can't give up the opportunity of helping you out. I'm sorry the gift wasn't larger but I have a whole summer lined up with friends who are cancer survivors doing cancer walks and other fundraisers. I'm trying to help out as many as possible.

You may have read my thread in the IC; my aunt is going through chemo for Colon Cancer. She has a good prognosis.

Thanks for doing this and good luck with the swim.

Bibby (Anthony Bloch)

Thank you SO much bibby! Anything anyone can do to support me will help the cause greatly. And a gift is a gift all the same and I appreciate greatly it with big hugs going out to you!

I did read about your aunt and I am so glad to hear that things are looking brighter for her, and for you. My best wishes go out to you both for things to continue to get brighter and brighter.

It really seems like every time I turn around I am hearing about someone else finding out they, or someone they know, has cancer. SO I figure this least I can do to start helping out. If this goes well, then I hope to do the swim again next year - but do the 3 mile swim.

New photos of me swimming - 15 years ago (haha) - are up on the site.
    http://www.swimacrossamerica.org/JillSwartwoutPepitone

go go go
    I used to swim competitively 15 years ago so I understand how hard it is to train specially when you're not that young anymore. I recently went back swimming (just for the sake of exercising) and it's really a struggle to swim 10 laps straight.

I empathize with your cause as I also have an uncle who passed away 10 months ago due to cancer.

I'll be crossing my fingers and will be rooting for you all the way (even in training).

This post is such an inspiration

Very nice initiative indeed. This will perhaps provide a moral support apart from financial donation to those who are suffering from cancer disease.

sybz and weigh...Thank you so much for your words of encouragement and the enthusiasm you have shown for me! *hugz* to you both!

Very sorry to hear about your uncle, sybz. That's exactly why I am doing this. I know too many people that are effected in one way or another.

Welcome to ABW, weigh!

OK! I'm back home from the beach house so it's time to hit the gym tomorrow to start really training for the swim. I currently swim about 3/4 of a mile easily. I want to get up to 1.5 miles in the pool before setting out to do the 1 mile open swim in August. (Throwing in the extra bit JUST in case there's a current/rough waters that day.

Thank you again to those who have reached out to support me - be it with motivating words, or monetary donations. Everything is so greatly appreciated to help me in this good cause. You guys rock!

Requirements:
    Each swimmer must raise a minimum of $500 by event day.
    Each team must have at least 5 members and raise a minimum of $3000.
    Jill's goal is to collect $1000 by event date.
    We still need more love for cancer research, we haven't even reached half way through friends. The minimum you can contribute is $25. Compared to thousands of lives that can be saved, this is just nothing. So if it is possible, please do your best to support a great cause and of course, we all want Jill to swim for a good cause!

This is where we stand as of now:
    A BIG thanks to everyone who contributed!

Here's some info I found about the swimming event to be held in September.

The swim will be held at the Waltjen Shedlick Farm near the Gibson Island Yacht Club in MD on September 19th, 2010. The main attraction of the event would be Michael Phelps, who will be the official race starter at the inaugural Baltimore open water event!

25 miles south of Baltimore’s Inner Harbor, 30 minute drive
    18 miles west of Annapolis, 30 minute drive
    50 miles from Downtown DC , 60 minute drive
    90 miles south of Wilmington DE , 90 minute drive

Requirements:
    Each swimmer must raise a minimum of $500 by event day.
    Each team must have at least 5 members and raise a minimum of $3000.

Swimmers & Teams:
    A person may elect to swim alone, or be part of a team. Many colleagues will form corporate teams, or teams may be formed in honor or memory of a loved one. All teams are inspirational and rewarding for all of us involved with Swim Across America. Through swimming events such as ours, teams clearly demonstrate our commitment to find a cure.

Donations:
    All donations are tax-deductible. Proceeds from the Baltimore Swim will be donated to cancer research, prevention and treatment at the Sidney Kimmel Comprehensive Cancer Center at Johns Hopkins.

You may support the swimmer of your choice by making an online donation. Or you may send a check, payable to Swim Across America, to One International Place, Suite 4600 Boston, MA 02110. Make sure to include a note with the name of the swimmer you are donating to.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for the shout out, Adarsh!
    Last edited by Bill; July 8th, 2010 at 11:16 AM. Reason: Spelling correction

Back from the beach means time to get back to the gym. I had planned on swimming a mile, but due to the current heat wave of 100+ degree temps and the pool being outside, I decided to wait until things cool off a bit. So...I hit the Elliptical for 45 minutes and did some leg and arm weights. Gotta build a little more strength to make the swim a breeze.

Just had another sponsor. Woot! You know who you are and I thank you very much!

You're welcome! It wasn't meant to be a secret or anything. I just wander off and forget what I'm doing from time to time :-) That's why I don't swim much.

Haha. I figured you wouldn't mind, but...I don't like calling out peoples' names on ABW unless they make it known first. But, I definitely thank you again.

And if you wander and forget where you are from time to time, it's probably a pretty good thing that you don't swim much. Although...I tend to wander, as well, but being in the water is like a safe haven for me. Very relaxing and easy for me to focus there.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast