Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Router Updates?
    I've had Verizon high speed DSL for about four years now.

The first year was fine, but the next two years there were constant problems. About a year ago I bought a new router and everything has worked perfectly since.

Late last night I was thus surprised to see no service. After trying some things and waiting awhile, I called Verizon support, and a very helpful rep got be back online in about 20 minutes.

However, he told me something that I had never heard before in my four years with Verizon: He said that Verizon periodically sends out "updates" to users' routers, but for the updates to be accepted by the routers, the routers need to be restarted. Thus, he said, we need to turn off our routers and restart them every couple of weeks or so.

I never have turned off my router, ever, except turning it off and on when there were problems.

Are people aware of this?

Do you regularly turn your routers off and restart them?
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

http and a telephoto
    Interesting, a neighbor was having problems with her DSL today, also Verizon. Never heard of needing to reset it. Will pass that along.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

They probably meant that they send updates to your DSL modem, not your router.

Anytime things don't work (almost any electronics), power cycling it is probably the best thing to try first.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey View Post
    They probably meant that they send updates to your DSL modem, not your router.
    It's all in one, but he referred to it as the router.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey View Post
    Anytime things don't work (almost any electronics), power cycling it is probably the best thing to try first.
    Yep, but it didn't help last night.
    Last edited by Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound; June 28th, 2010 at 07:55 PM. Reason: added something
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Lightbulb
    that's interesting, though . . . I have the original DSL modem that was issued to me years ago. It has never seemed to run slow or oddly, but perhaps that was due to the several a year power outages we have here.

So I'm going to cut the power to it a little more often.

They sent me a new modem a while back, but I haven't switched to it. We don't get outages, just things are slow. But I'm reluctant to mess it up with a hardware switch.

As for powering electronics off when they start acting up, I once (years ago) sat next to a commercial airline pilot not long after 767s first came out. I knew that they had highly computerized cockpits...and I knew, back in the early 90s when this conversation took place, that computers were often rather iffy. So I asked him what they do when the computers in the cockpit go wacko. He told me, the same thing you do: turn it off, and turn it on again.

Mind, we're talking systems, not engines.
    [URL=http://themoneyforums.com]The Money Forums[/URL]

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread