More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Hostgator and Old FP Extensions - Delete Them!
    I had some old FrontPage extension on my .htaccess files of two hostgator hosting accounts. On one account, the site (and subdomain sites) would not load one day. I contacted support and they removed some old FP extensions. On the other account, just yesterday I noticed the same thing happened. So I removed the FP extensions. Now, on the second account, my traffic all of a sudden returned to what it was a few weeks back when all of a sudden it decreased. I am thinking that Hostgator made changes in their servers at that time and some people were unable to load my page. At any rate, if you have old FP extensions, delete them, unless of course you still need them.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Would sure be a bummer if some major hosting outfits like HostGator dropped FP server extensions as millions of sites were made with Frontpage. What FP extensions and version of the FP server did HostGator drop. I use Frontpage 2003 for clients and enjoy the built-in features and even add-ons like design templates, slideshows, photo galleries, ecommerce cart plug-ins. Heck even HostGator with their Avactus shopping cart hosting w/CMS system works with Frontpage too.

Frontpage 2003 has a great product photo gallery app with 7 styles. One shown at suspenders.com/dots.htm helps sell at a 10% conversion ratio when detailed photos are added.
    Last edited by Trust; August 8th, 2010 at 07:11 PM.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Hey... look who just crawled out from under his pizza box. Good timing; people have been complaining about how quiet it's been here lately. ::motormouth smiley::
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

http and a telephoto
    Mike, a lot of hosts have said they are going to stop supporting FP extensions. There is still the option for it in my cpanel for my hosting, but have long since stopped using FP when things mysteriously disappeared, like shared borders!!! (oops!)

And ditto what davidh said
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    When I went to HostGator I converted all my sites to non-FP so I never even used their extensions - perhaps that is what caused the problem - I still had old extensions used at a different host in my .htaccess file. And I just checked - HostGator still supports FrontPage and even has a "Cleanup Old Extensions" function at the Control Panel.

I sure don't miss the FrontPage days! But, compared to Netscape Composer or a text editor it seemed like a dream product (at the time).
    Last edited by Cheesehead; August 9th, 2010 at 08:38 AM.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by loxly View Post
    Mike, a lot of hosts have said they are going to stop supporting FP extensions. There is still the option for it in my cpanel for my hosting, but have long since stopped using FP when things mysteriously disappeared, like shared borders!!! (oops!)

And ditto what davidh said
    Has Homeland security filed suit against MS Frontpages' "shared borders" feature? Thank God I don't have any websites that display in Arizona... LOL. Guess I'm too old to retrain so I'll plod along with hosting companies who still support FP 2003 server extensions. Most object to just having to reinstall them when site owners try uploading content with both FTP and Frontpage publishing
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by ecomcity View Post
    Most object to just having to reinstall them when site owners try uploading content with both FTP and Frontpage publishing
    Ah, that brings back memories....

I still know people using FP to create their sites, just not using any of the extensions. They did have some cool ones though...

Netscape Composer!!!! That makes me shudder..... that turned all my hardcoded links into relative links (that didn't work) more than I care to remember! That's when I learned how to use a text editor to fix what composer had busted. And yeah, FP was the savior when it came along, even with it's bloated crap code
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Quote Originally Posted by loxly View Post
    Ah, that brings back memories....

I still know people using FP to create their sites, just not using any of the extensions. They did have some cool ones though...

Netscape Composer!!!! That makes me shudder..... that turned all my hardcoded links into relative links (that didn't work) more than I care to remember! That's when I learned how to use a text editor to fix what composer had busted. And yeah, FP was the savior when it came along, even with it's bloated crap code
    I did a usability study on Netscape Composer for my Human/Computer Interaction class in college. I picked people with a range of computer abilities and asked them to figure out how to do specific tasks. My mother was one of the "less computer literate" folks I chose. I've never seen her so frustrated. LOL. Thank goodness that didn't scare her away from computers for life.
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread