Question Can Someone Explain How This Makes Sense?
    I'm asking for a serious answer. I received the email below and I'm wondering how a program in SAS's top 100 could be at a competitive disadvantage having an affilaite program.

The Email:
    ????? is closing their affiliate program effective 7/5/2010. Please remove/replace all links on your site in order to avoid leading to a dead page.

This program has been extremely successful, ranking in the ShareASale Top 100 several times but the owners have cited offering commissions to affiliates along with their new line of ion products puts them at a competitive disadvantage with pricing. I apologize for any inconvenience this has caused you, please let us know if we can be of any assistance

This merchant is a pet products/nutrition supplier. I'm sure almost all their competitors have affiliate programs. Will we now see PetSmart, Petco, etc close their programs?

ABW Ambassador
    I'm not for sure but I think some pet merchants might not pay out commissions on ion products. I think the other pet merchants are fine, have had affiliate programs for many years now.

I was thinking the same thing, Trust. I think there may be legal issues with paying commissions on ions. Most affected merchants solve that by either 1) not paying commissions on ion items, or 2) paying a new customer bounty rather than a commission. I guess we can now add 3) closing their affiliate program...
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Red face
    MC and Trust, thanks for providing a possible reason.

5. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread