Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    How do I stop Blog Spammers?
    good day! i have a blog, but my problem is the spammers? how to prevent from spammers?

thanks
    Kelvin

I presume your blog is run on WordPress? Then use a plugin like Akismet.

You can't prevent spammers, you can only hope to reduce the number that get through. Assuming you are using WordPress:
    1. Turn on Akismet
    2. Set you comments so that they have to be approved by the admin. That way you can catch the ones that Akismet misses.
    :rankn-scp John - This is our chosen profession. This is our way. This is what we do.

Block spammers in wordpress
    1. Do not make comments on to all your blog posts. Make comments on only to your recent blog posts.
    2. Make all comments moderated
    3. Use a Word-press captcha plugin like Simple CAPTCHA

(edited out spam)
    Last edited by Trust; July 1st, 2010 at 02:22 AM. Reason: spam

hey i just want to block few users how to do that in my blog they just leave spams and. guys can u help in changing the menu style of blog.

Quote Originally Posted by magicman2003 View Post
    (edited out spam)
    That's funny, spamming a thread on getting rid of spammers. That's a lot of chutzpah.

Quote Originally Posted by recardo View Post
    hey i just want to block few users how to do that in my blog they just leave spams
    If you are using Akismet it will eventually automatically send their comments to spam. Otherwise, If they always come from the same IP,you could do an IP ban.
    :rankn-scp John - This is our chosen profession. This is our way. This is what we do.

Blog spam sucks, and Akismet has already been recommended, but to avoid spam turning up in your inbox make sure you never EVER post your email addresses on your blog.

I used to get 20-30 spam comments a day after the Akismet filter. Got tired of the spams so I installed SI CAPTCHA Anti-Spam. Now I have zero. Isn't that amazing? I'm glad I have them both. Hope that helps you as much as it helped me.

Use Akismet anti spam plugin to prevent spams. Akismet is the best anti spam plugin, increase the comment link field characters.

The price of success + engagement is spam, in its many varieties and flavors. No matter how politely comments are worded a great deal of what gets past the spam filters and plugins still manages to carries with it an air of self-promotion. I'm talking about all the 1 or 2 sentence "thin value" (no real value added) comments that come with a backlink attached.

But what the hey. That's . . . just marketing and who amongst us isn't guilting of that?
    Last edited by BeepBeep; August 25th, 2010 at 08:48 PM.
    I'll get the hang of it eventually. :0)

ademmeda
    You might get rid of spam comments totally if you like, by disabling comments as well, though this will destroy your blog's interactivity with the non-spammy visitors.

Quote Originally Posted by firebrand View Post
    Blog spam sucks, and Akismet has already been recommended, but to avoid spam turning up in your inbox make sure you never EVER post your email addresses on your blog.
    Yeah, but what about a contact page for readers to contact you for whatever reason?
    I've just used Akismet which has worked great.

For an easy to configure contact form if you are using Wordpress try Contact Form 7 and the Really Simple CAPTCHA module that goes with it.

Quote Originally Posted by maiaa View Post
    For an easy to configure contact form if you are using Wordpress try Contact Form 7 and the Really Simple CAPTCHA module that goes with it.
    I may not be as bright as the average WP user, because I've tried Contact Form 7 several times and was pretty much unable to get it set up to work right.

BUT -- Those experiences led me to find "Easy Contact," which works for me pretty much out of the box.

All I do when I install the "Easy Contact" plugin is go into settings and uncheck the box that allows users to send themselves a copy of their message, because I heard somewhere that was a potential security leak. Then I check the option to require the simple math verification.

Works very well on all my WP sites.
    Generate more fake news.

15. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by JCSupSvc View Post
    That's funny, spamming a thread on getting rid of spammers. That's a lot of chutzpah.

If you are using Akismet it will eventually automatically send their comments to spam. Otherwise, If they always come from the same IP,you could do an IP ban.
    I keep getting same 7 or 8 adult sites that keep sending several comments each day. I have my blog set so I have to approve them, so they are not getting through....BUT my QUESTION is:

How do I block the IP? You mentioned an IP ban. How is that done?

Thanks

Cal
    Sixplus

If you have askimet try this.

At your dashboard click where it says the number of comments, click on comments. All the comments should come up. For the ones that are spam, put your mouse just below the subject line. A list of options should appear. Click spam. This will send the comment to spam. Do this a couple of times and askimet should start to recognize the IPs as spam.
    Last edited by maiaa; September 25th, 2010 at 12:39 PM.

In relation to this question-

Do blog spammers actually come to the site to make the spam comment or do they have so program that automatically goes out and does it? I am looking at my analytics and wondering if some of my visits are from spammers or if they are real people looking for my site.

Quote Originally Posted by writerguy View Post
    I may not be as bright as the average WP user, because I've tried Contact Form 7 several times and was pretty much unable to get it set up to work right.

BUT -- Those experiences led me to find "Easy Contact," which works for me pretty much out of the box.

All I do when I install the "Easy Contact" plugin is go into settings and uncheck the box that allows users to send themselves a copy of their message, because I heard somewhere that was a potential security leak. Then I check the option to require the simple math verification.

Works very well on all my WP sites.
    I finally figured out my issues with contact form 7. Let me know if you need help.
    Greg Hoffman
    Affiliate Marketing Advocate of the Year 2016; Best OPM/Agency - 2014; Best OPM/Agency, Five Years in a Row - ABestWeb.
    Visit Greg Hoffman Consulting

you can prevent them by using plugins, AKISMIT.. and the better way that you have to set admin panel for approval of comment before to display..so you can easily prevent them..

Yup, it all sounds good. I just wound up setting up my comments so that they must ALL be approved by me. I still keep getting these stupid spammy messages and "ping backs", but I don't care.
    I guess it means that my site is worth trying to paint with spam

Re: Captha
    Quote Originally Posted by Tw33ty View Post
    I used to get 20-30 spam comments a day after the Akismet filter. Got tired of the spams so I installed SI CAPTCHA Anti-Spam. Now I have zero. Isn't that amazing? I'm glad I have them both. Hope that helps you as much as it helped me.
    Thanks. been looking for this plug-in. I got slapped by Google when one of the spammers was from a banned keyword. Never knew about this until my site was gone from page 1. Terrible spammers!

Quote Originally Posted by taboy74 View Post
    Thanks. been looking for this plug-in. I got slapped by Google when one of the spammers was from a banned keyword. Never knew about this until my site was gone from page 1. Terrible spammers!

Wondering if the non clicked redirect to Amazon has anything to do with your slap?

Quote Originally Posted by beachcom View Post
    Wondering if the non clicked redirect to Amazon has anything to do with your slap?
    No kidding eh? I'm sure Amazon doesn't mind though

I was getting 10-20 comments per day on my blog and they seemed sincere enough until I started seeing the duplicates. I installed Ironclad captcha plugin which is bot proof. Unfortunately, now I get no comments at all lol, but the visitors I'm getting now are really visitors and not bots so I'm getting a much more accurate picture of how my site is doing.

I also use tantan noodles spam filter which catches the most obvious spammers.

I had a similar problem. To overcome this problem, I disallowed comments by non-registered visitors. Spammers hater registering at sites, specially if you ask them a lot of questions on sign-up forms

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast