Sticker/label "clear coat"
    I'm throwing this out hoping someone might have an idea for me.

I created/printed a few stickers, they've been printed on some Avery white label paper. I'm curious if there is anything I can spray over the paper to "clear coat" them so they don't run if they get wet (going on vehicles [glass] so I need some kind of protection from rain).

Preferably something I can pick up in any hobby shop or arts/crafts store, if there is anything.

Shawn Kerr (.com) | Disney World | SEC Football

Papilio has a spray on laminate you can use. I believe I got it in craft store otherwise, their online store is texascraft dot com. They also have vinyl paper for printer that works great w/ spray.
    Last edited by mellie; June 30th, 2010 at 07:46 AM. Reason: Rushing to go to jury duty, left out detail.
    Melanie
    President - Affiliate Advocacy 2008 ShareaSale Performance Industry Advocate Award, 2009 Affiliate Summit Pinnacle Award - Affiliate Advocate
    Affiliate Advocacy
    NYAffiliateVoice Seery Writing

you can try Krylon (r-tm) but it won't take a lot of wet and usually takes several thin spray coatings. we used it for protecting strike-on lettering in the day.

I'd suggest using laminating plastic and cutting it larger so it really seals the edge.

Oh! This brings back memories from when I made candles and printed the labels myself. People picking up the candles at craft shows and shops really messed them up.

Avery makes a water resistant label, or at least they used to. I'm not sure if it's for laser only or not. I tried various things to spray on them and none of them worked. They probably have something better nowadays, though. If there going on the outside of car windows, the glue on the label itself may not "stick" long.

Just another thought, they used to make window cling (or something like that) Avery labels. Maybe they would do better on the inside and last longer.

Yeah, not sure how long the glue will last. I know it's tough at first (stuck a corner on, almost couldn't get it back off - was testing one to see how it looked). I never did get around to taking it off yesterday and it rained this morning before day break -- curious of the mess that's on the window, heh.

The windows on my truck are completely dark, so you wouldn't be able to see anything on the inside without sticking your face up to the glass with a flashlight, lol.

Most mentions I found online were about Krylon -- but that was on a lot of modeling sites.

The sticker isn't that important, but would like it to last for a while. Too broke to have one professionally done, was almost too broke just to buy the $15 label paper.

Shawn Kerr (.com) | Disney World | SEC Football

Quote Originally Posted by mobilebadboy View Post
    The windows on my truck are completely dark, so you wouldn't be able to see anything on the inside without sticking your face up to the glass with a flashlight, lol.
    If it's just for yourself (I was thinking you would be handing them out to people), then you could try something else that I did -- Put your printed sticker on first, then cover it with a piece of clear Contact paper (it's in the shelf paper section of just about any store) that's just a little bigger than your label. This way it seals the edges and provides a waterproof cover for your label.

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread