Question I have more than 50K emails in my DB now what?
    I have built myself an email db using facebook and some sites I have, collecting more than 50k addresses, manly from spain and italy too. My questions now is and NOW WHAT? How can I monetize this?

The sites and FB stuff do not sell anything so I have all this emails addresses should I send them a newsletter with affiliates products? How can I segment the db into categories of reception and likes?

Cheers!

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Did they opt in to receiving an email from you?

In FB yes
    At the sites in some cases yes, since they have added the email into an input for "news" but in other cases it is the registration email.

Also I taking a look at some of the emails there are some strage ones like 324523534@corporateemail.com. I think I should clean those out of the db. Should I delete all <lots-of-numbers>@<domain.com> emails out of the db?

ABW Ambassador
    So some are opt-in

and you will spam the rest?

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by brutuscat View Post
    In FB yes
    At the sites in some cases yes, since they have added the email into an input for "news" but in other cases it is the registration email.
    Registration for what? You only have the "right" to email the people that *opted in* to get email from your company.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Quote Originally Posted by loxly View Post
    Registration for what? You only have the "right" to email the people that *opted in* to get email from your company.
    Yes I know. I will include an unregister link if I send then a newsletter and the list will be cleaned. Also I was thinking to send some newsltter and remove those that labeled as spam and those that click at it.

I do want to keep my list as clean as possible....

The thing is that I have all sites emails in the same list, so I don't know who is from where.

Anyway, How can I monetize this? Sending Affiliates offers or what?

I do want to keep my list as clean as possible....
    The best way to do that is to have them OPT IN to receive emails from you before you send them emails, and to KEEP TRACK of whether they have voluntarily opted in or not
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

I see most of you are some-how offended about my question. It was never my intention to spam people, but to know what alternatives do I have to monetize this.

Anyway, my questions was not about ethics or legality, so let's say I can clean the db and to keep all those opt-in emails. What to do with it?
    • send an newsletter with affiliates products?
    • build an new site with affiliates products and send a newsletter pointing to it
    • sell the db (I do not see this an ethic thing... But I really don't know what to do)
    • Rent it maybe (I see people doing this also...)

Can you please help me with ideas about What to do? Thanks!

SEO: A Specialty - Web Design: Slow or outsourced andbeyond's Avatar
    The Call is coming from Inside the House!
    Personally I would recompile the list getting as much info into the list as possible.

What site signed up on
    date signed up on
    method signed up
    first name
    last name
    email
    company name?

Otherwise the list(s) will not be very successful if the people are very different at all. Also you wont be able to respond to spam complaints. And there will be some.

I ran a list of 2500 of all optin and people complain and then we remind them when and where they signed up. Then they apologize.

http and a telephoto
    build an new site with affiliates products and send a newsletter pointing to it
    This is always the best use of your contacts. Sending traffic directly to your own site under your own control makes people that subscribed to your list feel that you aren't just "selling" to them. Have the newsletter and the landing page have real info and not just a sales pitch.

send an newsletter with affiliates products?
    Send this periodically and to very targetted groups of emails.

Take anybeyond's advice to find out more about your list so you can target better.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Quote Originally Posted by loxly View Post
    Take anybeyond's advice to find out more about your list so you can target better.
    Thanks! I will

I see most of you are some-how offended about my question.
    That's your point of view buddy, I see that everyone is trying to help you. Please remember, if by any chance you have my email ID in your list and I got your email with affiliate links and I felt like you spammed me, what do you think I will do? I will directly contact the affiliate network you are promoting and ALL your efforts will go down the drain the moment affiliate network realized you spammed someone. So take all the feedback everyone is giving you. Do not hesitate in "answering" their questions. You are dealing with some of the best in this industry, when you ask them a question, be open to exchange information. That's the best way to seek help, IMHO.

Regards.
    Fulltime webmaster and wordpress lover.

Mailing list firms require double opt in, mailing could get you suspended
    On a sister forum of ABW, WebHostingTalk.com I've read threads where someone wanted to send out a huge number of emails. Usually, it is recommended that they pay a company who specializes in bulk mailings, to send out the email. i believe those companies require double opt in.

If you try to mail out any large number of emails, your web hosting company may suspend your hosting. If you have a Dedicated server, they may unplug it.

You need to clear this with your web hosting company, before sending out bulk emails. There may be a way for you to monetize your list, without you getting into hot water. GL

Good advice Lanny, I agree with you on the points you've mentioned.
    Fulltime webmaster and wordpress lover.

At most, what you can do is send out an email for them to opt in for your newsletter. Say that you are starting a newsletter and give them options to update their details or opt out altogether.
    Michelle
    Affilorama Group Ltd
    Affiliate Marketing by Affilorama | Free SEO Software by Traffic Travis

If it's an opt'in list, so you can send to them newsletters with affiliate products. But remember that you need to include a free opt-out mechanism that is available through a single web page, replying to the email message, and through an unsubscribe button.

Main offices are in DC. I spend part of the year in Atlanta.
    List Quality?
    If you had a great product or service to offer then you know what to do. If they are investors or business professionals, then we should talk.

Does anyone know the average click through rate on lists of this size?

Moderator Note: Removed manual sig
    Last edited by 2busy; January 5th, 2011 at 02:40 PM. Reason: Removed manual sig

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread