Protecting Cyberspace as a National Asset Act of 2010 - Lieberman
    Anyone have a clear picture of what this bill would do? I've seen it referred to as an "Internet Kill Switch", but what it says loudest to me is that we need much clearer separation of federal and public infrastructure...
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

ABW Ambassador
    More info on it and Lieberman talking about it below - http://hsgac.senate.gov/public/index...f-2239d301fb7f

Don't know much about it at all but it does look like the "Kill Switch" is one part of it. I like the internet the way it is now. One of the freest things we have, it's nice.

I don't like government meddling in things, but I think the "kill switch" concerns are likely overblown.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Might be overblown, but the simple fact that federal infrastructure uses so much of the public infrastructure creates a potential need for a "kill switch". The more they push govrnment function into the private sector, the more likely the scenario.

Thanks, Trust, I'll check out the video when I get some more time.
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

SEO: A Specialty - Web Design: Slow or outsourced andbeyond's Avatar
    The Call is coming from Inside the House!
    You know ISPs and Internet companies have been dealing with these problems on their own and effectively for years.

There is no need for govt intervention.

And having all these machines that can stop the Internet means when they malfunction they "will stop the internet". If nothing else from hardware or routing failures.

Somehow I get the feeling they dont care at all about cyberspace and just want control.

Also these changes will mandate certification from the govt for IT engineers. More expense, red tape, and interference.

Plus there will be a bunch of engineers afraid to cross the govt or they will loose their livelihood.

There is a "search" right now to find the owner of Wikileaks for airing some of the death the US military is dispensing. Did he hurt someone? Defame someone? Invade a country? No. He just showed video of someone else doing it.

And the whistle blower involved is going to military prison because someone else was afraid and squealed.

More things like this will happen if this passes.

Why are Lieberman and McCain always involved in the weirdest things often together?

Sorry but if they truly wanted to secure it they would do so with international connections and not people like me. This bill will let our federal government shut down any business or connection if they can claim it's in the national interest.

They can order businesses to buy and apply upgrades for internet connected devices (shutting them down until they comply). Take a look at Washington today and convince me this will not be used politically. This gives them the right to shut down any and all network connections. If that isn't a kill switch I don't know what is.

Protect incoming connections sure, but not within our own borders. It's a power grab and we'll lose.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread