Does it seem to anyone else that there are a whole lot of merchants offering the SOS?

It is like they all have this one great big catalog that they go to and put up the SOS for sale.

Are a lot of them actually dropshippers for the same company?

What good is it that they have a data feed with 3000 items if it is the same 3000 items that didn't sell for the other merchant?

I am sick of having a place to sell, just for instance incense, and when I get a new feed I see they have tons of incense burners but when I generate the pages, they are filled with the SOS I just put up for another merchant.

I am tired of the SOS!
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

I was going to ask what an SOS is but by the tone of your post I finally got it Thank you Ssanf
    One day parasites and their ilk will be made illegal, I bet a few Lawyers will be pissed off when the day comes.
    Mr. Spitzer is fetching it nearer

YouTrek

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Does it seem to anyone else that there are a whole lot of merchants offering the SOS? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    It's more than possible that a good share of the smaller merchants do offer the "same old stuff". In fact, they probably all get it from the same drop-shippers. As long as they have a unique or catchy way of presenting it, they can still do alright.

For instance, when my daughter still lived at home, she did a lot of her clothes shopping at The Bon Marche - even though the exact same items were available much cheaper at Fred Meyer's, which is a Northwest chain of department stores. To her, the Bon meant quality merchandise, while Fred Meyer was a place for "poor" people to buy cheap clothing.

Of course, now that she is out on her own and spending her own money, shopping at Fred Meyer (and even Wal-Mart) is perfectly okay.

Well, I am getting pretty fed up with it.

How many danged identical fairy statuettes do they think I need, anyway?
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Your just seeing the same thing shoppers see when 5000 datafeed affiliates put out the SOS in the SERPs. eCatalog spam food for the cost of a 0.20 blank CD.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

That's their problem. My problem is that if all these merchants are offering the SOS re-worked I CAN't put up original pages to give the shopper what you would like to see.

Just got to keep scouring for merchants with original stuff, I guess. Then when you DO find merchants with original stuff, they either have no affiliate program or they think a linked banner IS an affiliate program. They are on Yahoo! stores and have disappearing images. And, they have never heard of a data feed.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SSanf:
    It is like they all have this one great big catalog that they go to and put up the SOS for sale. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Ummmm.... Isn't this a little like the pot calling the kettle black? (no racial inferences intended)

I mean, whether it is 15 drop-ship companies creating catalogs from the same warehouse description list, or 150 Affiliate Marketers creating catalogs from the same drop-shipper's description lists, isn't the effect the same?

165 web sites with the SOS.

Maybe we should do away with all the darn electronic catalogs and only allow web sites with unique content...
    Tom C.
    [URL=http://www.cafepress.com/simplesignshop]Simple Sign Shop[/URL]

Every day leave someone or something better than you found it.

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    Here ya go, ssanf, a gift for ya, www.sideshowtoy.com , not the perfect affiliate program, they are a bit leaky, but they have really, really unique stuff.

I mean, where else can you buy a figurine of the Bridgekeeper from Monty Python's Holy Grail?

"What is your quest?!" Man, I loved that show.
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread