Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    Looking For Deal on New Tires
    It's that time I have to replace the tires on the Durango. I was getting an oil change at Colony Tire and they mentioned the tread depth on my tires would not pass the NC inspection, which I have to get this month.

They quoted me $705 to install a new set of Toyo tires (255/65/16in). I am now using that price as a benchmark to find a lower price.

I looked into Tire Rack and found a high rated set of General tires for $670 ($500 plus $37 tax plus $60 shipping + $70 local install).

I wonder if Costco, Sams, or BJ's may be a good option as well. I don't belong to any of them, but it may be worth joining if the price is right on the tires.

I haven't seen any Buy 3 Get 1 Tire Free sales recently.

Have you bought tires recently?

Quote Originally Posted by SeymourButts View Post
    I wonder if Costco, Sams, or BJ's may be a good option as well.
    That's what I was going to suggest. You might check Wal-Mart as well. It's been a while since I've compared prices (I usually just go there and buy now), but when I did check they were quite a bit cheaper.

For myself, I would go with Sams or Costco (we have both nearby), but I always get lifetime rotate, balance and road hazard, and Walmart is much closer and more convenient for me. Plus I've had to use the road hazard warranty a couple times on road trips, and it's much easier to find a Walmart than a Sams or Costco.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

I called Walmart and they have 0 tires in that size.

SEO: A Specialty - Web Design: Slow or outsourced andbeyond's Avatar
    The Call is coming from Inside the House!
    You might want to get a second opinion on the tires too. Or read the requirements online.

There are tread depth indicators on tires. Your state may tie the inspection to that. Or it might be tread depth in 32s of an inch or something.

All repair shops seem to recommend maintenance that they are adapt at fixing. Tire Shop = get new tires. Suspension Shop = needs a new front end.

But I would say Costco or Walmart. Costco is worth it for the tires, electronics, and bulk food. Easily pays for the yearly membership.

I called Costco and they only have my size in Michelin. Total installed price is $755. I seem to be going backwards.

Tax Paying Member
    I have had good service from Tire King in Durham. Don't know if they have a store closer to you.

PS........Old Wake Forest Rd near Millbrook
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

I just called Merchant Tire, which I think is also Tire Kingdom, and got a price of $695 for a set of Yokohama tires installed.

Tax Paying Member
    Tire Kingdom and Tire King are different companies............
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

Quote Originally Posted by Witzer View Post
    Tire Kingdom and Tire King are different companies............
    Ahhhh. I saw King and just assumed Kingdom.

Tire King has a set of Uniroyal Laredo for $640 installed.

Make sure to check how many miles the tires are guaranteed so that you're comparing apples to apples. A tire that will get 70k miles is worth more than a tire that will get 40k miles, and some tires handle better or snow or wet roads. The cheapest tire isn't always the best.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Don't know if they have them where you are, but after years of dealing with various tire sellers, from Firestone and Just Tires (the two biggest crooks of all), Mark C Bloome, Sears, Wards, Winston, General, and many, many others, about four years ago Big O Tires opened about six blocks from here and I now go there for almost all of my auto-related purchases, maintenance, and repairs. They are honest, fast working, have the best prices around, always have coupons, and you can bargain their prices down.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Places like Costco usually have a free 30 day trial membership. Just enough time to get new tires. Instead of paying the membership to someplace you won't use otherwise.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread