Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Want to announce affiliate program, but cannot afford to buy an announcement...
    ...so I am looking for a temporary alternative solution to start me off before I can buy that. Does anybody have a better solution to announcing the program? Again, I cannot afford to buy an announcement here in the paid announcements section.

Quote Originally Posted by user123-2009 View Post
    ...so I am looking for a temporary alternative solution to start me off before I can buy that. Does anybody have a better solution to announcing the program? Again, I cannot afford to buy an announcement here in the paid announcements section.
    Dude - if you can't afford to buy an announcement how will people think you can afford to pay commissions???

ABW Ambassador
    If you can't afford to pay for an announcement, then are you really ready for an affiliate program?

Read and learn and improve your site and affiliate program, so that you'll be ready when you can afford it.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

I will be able to pay after I make commissions off the sales, besides the fact that I am an affiliate manager for a larger company.

Quote Originally Posted by otprof View Post
    dude - if you can't afford to buy an announcement how will people think you can afford to pay commissions???

+1
    MERCHANTS: Start showing your coupons directly on your site, that way your shoppers will stop leaving your site looking for them!! If not then remove your Coupon Box!!

Affiliate Manager Matt McWilliams's Avatar
    Aren't they like $75?

Not to be rude, but if you cannot afford that, there isn't much hope for ya. Sorry.
    Matt McWilliams
    Call Me At: (317) 825-8826 | Follow Me On Twitter: @MattMcWilliams2 | Connect With Me On LinkedIn

ABW Ambassador
    What's already been said. That's dinner money. If that's a problem, you're not ready yet. Maybe in the future.

Isn't there a (lower-traffic) section on the site where you can announce something without paying, or is it against policies unless you pay?

There's a Banned Member Forum, but I don't think you want access to that.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Affiliate Manager Matt McWilliams's Avatar
    If by "something" yes

Feel free to "announce" all kinds of things on here, without paying a dime.

Just as long as it is not an advertisement for your program or anything spammy.

Examples:

You may announce that you just found a really cool WordPress plug-in

You may announce that you like the previous post on a thread

You may announce that you are the "Last Post" here

You may announce your undying love for all things Jason Rubacky and Texas here

You may announce that you have a consumer promotion here or an affiliate promotion here - if you are on ShareASale

See, they weren't all sarcastic non-helpful things.
    Matt McWilliams
    Call Me At: (317) 825-8826 | Follow Me On Twitter: @MattMcWilliams2 | Connect With Me On LinkedIn

http and a telephoto
    Isn't there a (lower-traffic) section on the site where you can announce something without paying, or is it against policies unless you pay?
    To advertise for affiliates you pay like everyone else. Affiliates don't like programs that spam and don't seem to have enough resources to pay for a simple thing like a program announcement.

You tried this back in January. It didn't work then, it won't work now.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

So you've had your affiliate program at least six months and you still can't afford to advertise? It sounds like your affiliate program needs a BUNCH of work. Don't waste the time of affiliates with a site that doesn't convert. Figure out what's wrong with your site and get it running like a fine-tuned machine. The last thing you want to do right now is recruit affiliates. You only get once chance to make a first impression. If you recruit them now and they don't see results, they'll drop you and never take another look at you.

I'll repeat my earlier advice:

Read and learn and improve your site and affiliate program, so that you'll be ready when you can afford it.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey View Post
    So you've had your affiliate program at least six months and you still can't afford to advertise? It sounds like your affiliate program needs a BUNCH of work. Don't waste the time of affiliates with a site that doesn't convert. Figure out what's wrong with your site and get it running like a fine-tuned machine. The last thing you want to do right now is recruit affiliates. You only get once chance to make a first impression. If you recruit them now and they don't see results, they'll drop you and never take another look at you.

I'll repeat my earlier advice:

Very much worth repeating. If your program isn't ready for prime time, don't try and recruit affiliates. It will antagonize them and you probably won't be able to get them to take a second look.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

This is not my affiliate program. This affiliate program belongs to a larger, and successful company, but I am in agreement with the company to recruit additional affiliates to them, and when I manage to find an affiliate, and show them that I have made a successful recruitment, they will begin to pay me commissions based on performance of that affiliate. If I don't follow up on this agreement, I will not be paid a penny (until I recruit an affiliate who produces). No work, no pay. Would you like me to e-mail you a copy of the ad that I would place, and for you to estimate whether or not it would be a successful announcement? When I manage to pull together enough money, I will spend that on the announcement if it is promising enough, and I'll even consider borrowing money to do this if there is guaranteed return. Thanks.

ABW Ambassador
    So you're really more of an affiliate and this is downline type of stuff? Or tiered affiliate type stuff? Probably not worth it. Because if it was something like that, we could just bypass you and go direct with that company. Sounds just like tier stuff to me. I have a few indy programs where if somebody signs up thru my link, I get a percentage of their future sales. Most of them are just customers but sometimes affiliates check out other affiliates to see what indy programs they're using and click thru on the link. And that program might have some sort of tier structure.

Not exactly. I have actually made plans with the company, to where I can actually link directly to their site. DIRECTLY, without an affiliate link, and I'll still be paid after I show them reasonable evidence that I have made a recruitment. For example, I can show them the post of an affiliate (on my thread) when he says something like "just applied". They will make a note of that in their records, and then beyond that point, I will be paid just as if I recruited the affiliate through an affiliate link. I am in a position much like a representative of the company.

the fact that I am an affiliate manager for a larger company
    They should be the ones who pay for their advertising then. It should not come out of your pocket.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

ABW Ambassador
    Not exactly. I have actually made plans with the company, to where I can actually link directly to their site. DIRECTLY, without an affiliate link, and I'll still be paid after I show them reasonable evidence that I have made a recruitment. For example, I can show them the post of an affiliate (on my thread) when he says something like "just applied". They will make a note of that in their records, and then beyond that point, I will be paid just as if I recruited the affiliate through an affiliate link. I am in a position much like a representative of the company.
    That sounds a little sketchy. Where you have to show them evidence you made a recruitment. That's what tracking code is for. Or is it you buy an ad here and they can see the traffic coming from ABW via direct links? Then, even with that, that's just not a way to do things. You might buy an ad, have 10 people sign up and they might tell you only 2 signed up. Seems just like a big ole mess to me. You can join us, we'll jump you in and you can become an Affiliate.

What Trust said; it does sound kinda slippery.

And when you claim to be the affiliate manager for some company, when you're not, yet you are recruiting affiliates for them.... it makes that company look pretty bad; it gives a very shady impression all around.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

Technically, I'd be considered an affiliate manager, as that's the basic role of one. It may be against the rules to mention the company here, so I won't, but the company has received over 10 trust certificates, so I trust them to be honest in telling me how many affiliates signed up.

ABW Ambassador
    Technically, I'd be considered an affiliate manager, as that's the basic role of one. It may be against the rules to mention the company here, so I won't, but the company has received over 10 trust certificates, so I trust them to be honest in telling me how many affiliates signed up.
    As an affiliate manager, you should be the one to know how many affiliates sign up. It is ludicrous to have an affiliate manager relying on the merchant to tell them how many affiliates sign up.

Quote Originally Posted by Julian View Post
    As an affiliate manager, you should be the one to know how many affiliates sign up. It is ludicrous to have an affiliate manager relying on the merchant to tell them how many affiliates sign up.
    Then what am I considered? I am still doing a job for the company, therefore, considered a "representative", at least in a way, according to someone from another affiliate network. This way, I'm looked at as part of the company, at least in a certain respect.

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    Well basically you're a recruiting agent.

I know that a fair number of firms are looking "only" for some one to recruit new affiliates. Or as the pitch goes "We have an inhouse manager we just want someone who can bring in new affiliates and we'll pay you based on the affiliates success"

Basically a win win for the merchant as they don't pay anything for the work being done and without some solid tracking a good chunk of anyone recruited will be missed too. Too bad if the recruiting is good and their conversion rate sucks.

Cheers

Chris
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. Skype - chrissanderson ::: TEL 1-720-336-1784 ::: www.amwso.net
    Join our affiliate programs :Vaper Empire, Iolo, Art of Tea, or See ALL our Programs here

This is a fascinating discussion thread. To summarize: the OP stated that he wanted to recruit publishers to join an affiliate program that's been running for months, but couldn't afford the fee to pay for a "New Program Announcement." Eventually, the OP disclosed that he doesn't actually work for the company, and he described a "no-tracking" tracking mechanism that doesn't sound plausible.

The OP doesn't really seem to understand much about affiliate programs, and he's unable to invest even a nominal amount on advertising, yet he thinks publishers will believe they can earn money by working for the merchant he represents.

Several folks have suggested that you spend some time reading here, and that's very good advice.

Several folks have also suggested that if the program isn't generating any results after six months, your first focus should be on figuring out why, and making appropriate changes.

I suggest that you try to objectively measure the existing program against the factors that publishers (affiliates) consider when evaluating merchants' affiliate programs. From your description, the current program fails most of these measures.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast