Internet Cowboy
    I am hoping some of you can shed some light on a question I have.
    I have a web design client that is an association of business. Each of the businesses has an individual web site, but they formed this association and hired me to build the association site.
    I have requested that each member of the association link from their own site to the association's site in an effort to provide help with link popularity.
    One member of the association whose home page of their own site is a Google PR 5, refuses to link to the new association site because they say that linking to a lower PR site will lower the PR of their site.
    I have never heard that this can have a detrimental effect on the site with the outgoing link. There are only four members of this association and everyone else is willing to link to the association site in an effort to "prop it up".
    If a PR5 links to a new site, will this lower the PR on the PR5 site?
    Thanks for any light anyone can shed on this.
    Scott

I'm sure the other members of the association just love this person who won't pull their share of the load. One link isn't going to make much difference, IMO. I'm going to assume that the association site is somehow related in topic, and that it will be a quality site, with no links out to link farms, adult sites, etc.

If this is the case, providing one outbound link to a quality site won't matter all that much in the big picture, and if the other sites linking to the association site are also quality sites, it might even be a benefit in the long run.

I think the only time outbound links can hurt a site's PR is if there are a lot of them, and/or if they go to sites of questionable quality or content.

Andy

Internet Cowboy
    That is what I was thinking Andy.
    All sites involved are quality sites and all are related to each other. The businesses are B&B Inns and the association site is the historic B&B association of the area that they all formed.
    I have learned this morning that the member who won't link is doing so at the request of their "webmaster" who says the link will hurt them.
    If anything, a link using relevant text to another VERY relevant site should help the site with the outgoing link, not to mention help the association's site.

ABW Ambassador
    I do not think any weight is placed on outbound linking, regardless of the quality of sites being linked to.

Chet

There are some who cling to the idea that PR is like a commodity. If I give you PR, I must get it from somewhere else or I may run out myself. This webmaster sounds like one of those people.

Personally, I think this theory is ridiculous. The basic idea behind PR is that one site lends credibility to another.

If Leonard Maltin says it's good, it may be good, so it's weighted higher than something equal that Leonard Maltin didn't say anything about. To think that Leonard would lose his own credibility each time he said something was good is just silly.

Normal linking to relevant sites won't hurt PR.
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

What Eathan said.

This is an idea that was prevalent a year or more ago, I even saw a very detailed mathematical description of where and how much a link would help / hurt a site depending if it were in or out.

If it were true, the web would be "powered" ultimately by PR0 sites that had outbound links or the net PR of the whole web would be 0.

As an idea it just goes against the whole ethos of the web. I link to sites that compliment mine or are affiliate links. Affiliate links get added FAR faster than any other type of links so my PR should steadily decline - actually it seems to steadily increase.

Paul, I think I saw that same piece of literature...
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

ABW Ambassador
    Technically, PR isn't "lost" from a page by linking out from it. When linking out to off the site, it just slightly reduces the amount of PR that's passed from that page to the other pages on the site. Only one link out actually means very little where PR is concerned, but having good outbound links can be good for a site's rankings - so the slight difference it makes is more than made up for.

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread