Clickbank - a thief in the night?!
    Ok so I was totally a slacker when it came to promoting products on Clickbank. First of all - tons of garbage products there. Secondly, if your an affiliate promoting affiliate products and tools - duh - don't you think the target audience is genious enough to figure out they could create their own link and get the commission - not to mention save that much off their purchase.

Anywho... I happened to check my Clickbank stats today... and well it's so hilarious you just have to see for yourself: http://www.screencast.com/users/vide...8-6f2b717a172e

So I started off with $60 and then when I stopped marketing products they starting deducting $1.00/month, then $5.00/month until they took all the money back because they never paid out in the first place because I didn't meet their minimum # of different credit card threshold (another absolutely ridiculous absurdity in this industry).

When did they start stealing $5 a month back from affiliates?? Is my first question. How in the hell is this acceptable practice in this industry? Is my next.

I could slightly understand if I was promoting clickbank itself but I promoted other merchant products on clickbank, earned commissions from those marketing efforts, and then CB thinks they can take it all back if I choose not to market further??
    "God moves imperturbably, slowly, and with perfect organization. The only wise rate at which to live is God's rate. God get things done and they are done right and He does them without hurry. He neither fumes nor frets. He is peaceful and therefore efficient." - Norman Vincent Peale

I'm afraid I'd have to read really small print to help with an answer.
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

Glad I never got into CB (opened an account years ago, that was about the extent of it).

Dormant Accounts

Accounts with a positive balance but no earnings for an extended period of time are considered dormant. Dormant accounts are subject to a charge of $1 per pay period after 90 days of no earnings, $5 per pay period after 180 days of no earnings, and $50 per pay period after 365 days of no earnings.

Shawn Kerr (.com) | Disney World | SEC Football

http and a telephoto
    I haven't logged in in ages, time to close the account. If they try and go negative I think they are in for a firestorm.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

ClickBank ain't the only one. Heh - Bank of America tried that with me. I had an old account (for the old LLC) that I was "meaning" to close for a couple of months. By the time I got around to closing it (just two weeks ago - the bank was too far away, nearly eight blocks ) there was a balance of $-8.00.

The customer service clerk on duty said I would have to pay the $8 in order to close the account. If not, then next month there would be another $13 service charge and I would then need $21 to close the account. "That's our bank policy."

I asked her if she could close my other accounts that had positive balances, transfer $8 to this old account from one of them and issue me a bank check for the balance(s) of the others. Believe it or not - she said she wasn't sure if she could do that and would have to ask the manager. I said, "Please do."

He took a look at the numbers on her screen - corporate checking, personal checking, personal savings, two CDs, and a history going back to when BofA first moved into Maryland. Needless to say, their "corporate policy" was adjusted, the $-8 was credited back and the account was closed. I'm sharing this to illustrate that affiliate marketing doesn't have the market cornered on asinine policy or on airheads.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Hey Bill,

Remember this:

Dear Sir:

I am writing to thank you for bouncing my check with which I endeavored to pay my plumber last month. By my calculations some three nanoseconds must have elapsed between his presenting the check and the arrival in my account of the funds needed to honor it. I refer, of course, to the automatic monthly deposit of my entire salary, an arrangement which, I admit, has only been in place for eight years. You are to be commended for seizing that brief window of opportunity, and also for debiting my account by $50 by way of penalty, for the inconvenience I caused your bank.

My thankfulness springs from the manner in which this incident has caused me to rethink my errant financial ways. You have set me on the path of fiscal righteousness. No more will our relationship be blighted by these unpleasant incidents, for I am restructuring my affairs, taking as my model the procedures, attitudes, and conduct of your very bank. I can think of no greater compliment and I know you will be excited to hear about it.

To this end, please be advised of the following changes.

I have noticed that whereas I personally attend to your telephone calls and letters, when I try to contact you, I am confronted by the impersonal, ever-changing, prerecorded, faceless entity which your bank has become. From now on I, like you, choose only to deal with a flesh-and-blood person.

My mortgage and loan repayments will, therefore and hereafter, no longer be automatic, but will arrive at your bank, by check, addressed personally and confidentially to an employee at your branch whom you must nominate. You will be aware that it is an offense under the Postal Act for any other person to open such an envelope.

Please find attached an Application Contact Status which I require your chosen employee to complete. I am sorry it runs to eight pages, but in order that I know as much about him or her as your bank knows about me, there is no other alternative. Please note that all copies of his or her medical history must be countersigned by a Notary Public, and the mandatory details of his or her financial situation (income, debts, assets and liabilities) must be accompanied by documented proof.

In due course I will issue your employee a PIN number which he or she must quote in dealing with me. I regret that it cannot be shorter than 28 digits, but again, I have modeled it on the number of button presses required to access my account balance on your bank phone service. As they say, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Let me level the playing field even further by introducing you to my new phone system, which you will notice, is very much like yours. My Authorized Contact at your bank, the only person with whom I will have any dealings, may call me at any time and will be answered by an automated voice service.

Press buttons as follows:

1. To make an appointment to see me.
    2. To query a missing payment.
    3. To transfer the call to my living room in case I am there.
    4.To transfer the call to my bedroom in case I am sleeping.
    5. To transfer the call to my toilet in case I am attending to nature.
    6. To transfer the call to my mobile phone if I am not at home.
    7. To leave a message on my computer, a password to access my computer is required. The password will be communicated at a later date to the Authorized Contact.
    8. To return to the main menu and to listen to options 1 through 7.
    9. To make a general compliant or inquiry; The Contact will then be put on hold, pending the attention of my automated answering service.

While this may on occasion involve a lengthy wait, uplifting music will play for the duration of the call. This month I have chosen a refrain from (The Best of Woodie Guthrie): Oh, the banks are made of marble, with a guard at every door, and the vaults are filled with silver, that the miners sweated for.

On a more serious note, we come to the matter of cost. As your bank has often pointed out, the ongoing drive for greater efficiency comes at a cost, which you have always been quick to pass on to me. Let me repay your kindness by passing some costs back.

First, there is the matter of advertising material that you send me. This I will read for a fee of $20 per page. Inquires from the Authorized Contact will be billed at $5 per minute of my time spent in response.

Any debits to my account, as, for example, in the matter of the penalty for the dishonored check, will be passed back to you. The new phone service runs at 75 cents a minute. You will be well advised to keep your inquires brief and to the point.

Regrettably, but again following your example, I must also levy an establishment fee to cover the setting up of the new arrangements.

Your Humble Client,

BurgerBoy

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Oh boy - Guess it's time to go look at my CB account to see what surprises are in store.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    And yes, there are surprises! Geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeze - Anyone trying to sell anything on Cb might want to rethink it - No affiliates left will mean no sales.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

As I recall, CJ does something similar.... I think they call it a dormant account fee.

Given the fact that there are likely dozens if not hundreds of other Affiliates who may have overlooked this ridiculous dormant fee policy and have a handsome balance being silently pick-pocketed by the hands of their own network, while they have focused marketing efforts on other networks, I think this topic is industry news worthy. Maybe it could be discussed in an upcoming FeedFront issue. If anyone agrees - please refer this thread to Shawn or Missy and/or the Revenue Performance folks.
    "God moves imperturbably, slowly, and with perfect organization. The only wise rate at which to live is God's rate. God get things done and they are done right and He does them without hurry. He neither fumes nor frets. He is peaceful and therefore efficient." - Norman Vincent Peale

Glad Someone Said Something
    I'm glad some one said something. I think I'm going to close my CB account. They have taken half of my earnings as well.

http and a telephoto
    Bill, I will never open a BOA account again because of what you just noted. I had a *very* similar situation, went *to* the bank and couldn't get them to close the account without additional fees. Fees made the account go negative *after* I closed it over the phone because.... ready?... They charge a service fee for phone calls!

Wells Fargo did something similar also.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Quote Originally Posted by loxly View Post
    Fees made the account go negative *after* I closed it over the phone because.... ready?... They charge a service fee for phone calls!

Wells Fargo did something similar also.
    That is truly amazing Loxly.
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

I wish I could avoid Bank of America, but I don't have a choice. My mortgage was with Countrywide, who got bought out by... Bank of America.

Thanks for giving me yet another reason to never open a SlickBank account, though. Those kinds of shenanigans are truly evil.
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

Regarding using your own link to purchase products from ClickBank, actually you are just doing ClickBank a favor unless you also plan to promote the products in their network actively.

Before they send you any check, customers that you refer must purchase through 5 different credit cards and at least 2 types of payment: Visa and Mastercard, etc.

I decided to comply with their policy and enrich the offerings on my web site with ClickBank products because like it or not, they convert. Very well. And the commission for digital product is great.

And if you really work in your industry, you'll know if one product is "crap" or of any value to your visitors and audience.

Just my personal opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne View Post
    Oh boy - Guess it's time to go look at my CB account to see what surprises are in store.
    I just went to look at my CB account and it stopped at a "New Contract" I had to agree with to get in. I don't feel like reading it and surely after this thread don't want to just click agree.

I haven't logged in there in ages and have never earned a commission. Looks like I'll not be able to close the account or ever know if they are adding to a negative balance.

As someone who saw CB take my commissions because I never met their "Customer Distribution Requirement" it seems like a sweet deal for them. Them get their fee from vendor and then get to keep the commission that was to go to the affiliate.

Vendors get their money so they don't care, Clickbank makes a LOT more money and the only loser is the affiliate who is doing all the work.
    :rankn-scp John - This is our chosen profession. This is our way. This is what we do.

I have disliked clickbank for some time. They are always trying to find ways to screw you out of your money. They help their big clients and screw their little ones. That's just not the way it should be. For example, why do they only allow bigger clients to use their one click upsell feature. Oh come on, even people just starting out should be able to use this.

I never fooled with clickbank so I though about looking at their site just out of curiosity when I put "clickbank" in google before I can push search it pulls down "clickbank scam" About 533,000 results. yikes

Quote Originally Posted by JCSupSvc View Post
    As someone who saw CB take my commissions because I never met their "Customer Distribution Requirement" it seems like a sweet deal for them. Them get their fee from vendor and then get to keep the commission that was to go to the affiliate.

Vendors get their money so they don't care, Clickbank makes a LOT more money and the only loser is the affiliate who is doing all the work.
    I know this is an old thread - just going through older threads today for a refresher and glad I did. I always get some new email pitch from reputable affiliates about creating products and using the power of clickbank to leverage other affiliates who will sell your product. But I think the quote above simply sums up the quality and character of the Clickbank network.

For those who try to run small businesses or micro affiliate businesses who try to walk in integrity, Clickbank clearly has no regard for hard working affiliates who drive traffic to their products.

For those of you with skills who could create a network similar to Clickbank but without all the BS involved, who will also screen products for credibility, there is a huge niche waiting for you to put your skills at work or outsource the development and design.

Just curious, are there any other serious competitor networks similar to Clickbank without the multiple credit card BS and inflated dormancy $$ (that focus on digital products)?

Just curious, are there any other serious competitor networks similar to Clickbank without the multiple credit card BS and inflated dormancy $$ (that focus on digital products)?
    OneNetworkDirect is like a sub-network of Digital River which is headquartered in Germany. OND is a reputable software network (with a forum here) that offers major software brands. They have a subnetwork RegNow that carries the non-namebrand software and ebooks. I would recommend RegNow over ClickBank any day for non-scammy digital products. They certify products and vendor sites and don't steal commissions. I have seen a few companies move from the RegNow network into OND. You ay find more information by contacting the folks here at the OND forum, but maybe not, I don't know how much (or how little) the two are integrated.

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    RegNow is good - and they send out daily emails (opt-in) with new programs and certification notices.
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

Very encouraging to hear. I will check it out - thank you both!

24. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread