Looking for the best web hosting affiliate program
    Hello. No spam, please! Please back your statements with credible evidence. I am looking for a good web hosting affiliate program that pays lifetime commissions and an initial signup commission for the referred customers. I also want the company to have a good reputation with minimal complaints. Thanks.

As you know, merchants cannot simply announce their affiliate programs in this thread -- in most situations, they must pay for an advertisement in the "New Program Announcements" sub-forum before they can identify and discuss their affiliate programs elsewhere on ABW.

There are many discussion threads on ABW about web hosting services, and about affiliate programs for web hosting services. I'm not sure how you'd evaluate "best" because there are so many factors:
    • Conversion Rate
    • Continuation/Renewal Rate
    • Reversal Rate (for fraudulent or cancelled orders)
    • Contingencies (is the advertising payment contingent on renewal after an initial period?)
    • Tracking Reliability (first- vs third-party cookie, cookie duration, potential overwriting by non-affiliate marketing, parasitic poaching)
    • Accounting and Reporting
    • Payment threshhold
    • Quality (reliability, customer service, etc.)
    • Exceptions (some web hosting merchants' affiliate programs exclude "deep-discounted entry-level accounts" and/or dedicated server transactions).
    • Merchant reputation, reliability, credibility, solvency
    • Special program restrictions (TM bidding, DTM-PPC, exclusivity, etc.)
    • Customer segment(s) targeted by merchant vs. customer segment(s) in publisher's audience
    • Payment rate(s)

The "best web host" for one person isn't the best for another. The "best web hosting affiliate program" for one publisher won't be the best for another publisher.

I recently migrated my sites to a hosting service which is widely-praised (but also often criticized) on ABestWeb. I experienced a problem that 99% of other customers would never experience. I also use third-party monitoring tools which report frequent (but brief) service outages. How would that factor in?

A publisher whose web site discusses topics appropriate for "entry level" or "first time" web-hosting consumers would probably want to carry advertising for a merchant that caters to that segment. A publisher whose web site discusses advanced topics or specialized hosting segments (e-commerce hosting, integration with affiliate networks, scripting, etc.) would want to carry advertising from a merchant who caters to that more sophisticated customer group.

And of course, there is no need to limit advertising to a single merchant (unless there is an exclusivity clause in the advertising agreement), so you could include multiple advertisers on a single page (or alternating so you can measure and choose the best performing advertiser).
    Last edited by markwelch; July 3rd, 2010 at 02:57 PM.

http and a telephoto
    Affiliates here are generally helpful, but in addition to what Mark posted, they are not likely to give away their "best converting" merchants in any vertical. Web hosting is very competitive and you have to find the best fit for your site to promote.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

As an incentive, they can privately send me their affiliate link, and receive second-tier commissions from me, but I don't know if it would be considered solicitation if I ask for that.

Nobody can privately send you anything, since you don't yet have the privilege to send or receive PMs.

Most web-hosting affiliate programs don't have multiple-tier commissions (though there are probably many that still do; I earned money from that in the late 1990s).

Quote Originally Posted by markwelch View Post
    Nobody can privately send you anything, since you don't yet have the privilege to send or receive PMs.
    I can publicly display a disposable e-mail address. Is that allowed?

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by user123-2009 View Post
    I can publicly display a disposable e-mail address. Is that allowed?
    No.

As a former host who tried offering recurring commissions, I can say it was not a big attraction. Mosts hosts do one-time payment. Serendipitously, though, I see this evening that a well-known host is advertising right here on ABW offering a combination of initial and recurring payments!
    [URL=http://themoneyforums.com]The Money Forums[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorMike View Post
    As a former host who tried offering recurring commissions, I can say it was not a big attraction. Mosts hosts do one-time payment. Serendipitously, though, I see this evening that a well-known host is advertising right here on ABW offering a combination of initial and recurring payments!
    What's the host?

I think it was a banner ad for Liquid Web.

I like the 1and1 affiliate program. It gives me access to very good resources so promoting their service is not labor-intensive, and their offers are very tempting to customers.
    Michelle
    Affilorama Group Ltd
    Affiliate Marketing by Affilorama | Free SEO Software by Traffic Travis

1and1, unfortunately, does not enjoy a stellar reputation for either reliability or service. I use them for domains, but would not host with them.

Agree. 1and1 has some not so good to bad reviews on online hosting forums like WHT.

I would recommend Hostgator for shared hosting affiliate program. I personally use them. LiquidWeb are great if your audience needs more powerful servers.

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread