Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    ABW Ambassador
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Nunya, Business
    Posts
    23,684
    Do Merchants Understand Search Campaign Wording?
    Was checking out a category, looking at the keywords, and I'm not sure merchants have been told the differences or understand a lot of this, which can lead to problems down the line. For example.

    Direct to merchant PPC. Some merchants say they allow it but then say don't use their url for display. Well, that's how it works. The display url is supposed to match the landing page.

    Then one, I think there is lots of confusion on:

    Search Campaigns - Non-compete SEM Bidding Keywords
    These are keywords on which publishers are prohibited from outranking the advertiser in their search marketing campaigns

    Sometimes I see a list of keywords, like their TM, where they say no bidding whatsoever. This section usually:

    Search Campaigns - Protected SEM Bidding Keywords
    These are keywords that publishers are prohibited from bidding on for search marketing campaigns

    Then very next section, the same keywords are in the Non-compete section. If you have keywords in that section, you're saying affiliates can bid on them, they just can't outrank you.

    And it even looks like merchants are putting stuff in there, where they don't want you to bid.

  2. #2
    .
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    2,973
    Over the past year, I've considered writing a detailed article to try to educate merchants about properly setting up "search restrictions" for their affiliate programs. I think that now is as good a time as any to put together a first draft.

    Unfortunately, most merchants create their policies very quickly, usually in response to a perceived abuse, and often without any rational analysis or consideration of the issues. Often, the policy is created by someone who doesn't understand enough about SEO or SEM to intelligently write a policy.

    It's not a CJ-specific issue, so I'm not sure this forum is the right place to get into a detailed discussion.

  3. #3
    ABW Ambassador
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Nunya, Business
    Posts
    23,684
    Started it in the CJ forum, since it's the wording they use and the Non-compete language is really confusing people. But moved it to the Midnight Forum for discussion on this and more general discussion. There was another thread (and there are plenty more) of people not understanding SEO, SEM etc. SEM meaning different things to different people.

  4. #4
    The Seal of Aproval rematt's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 19th, 2006
    Location
    The Windy City
    Posts
    4,140
    Quote Originally Posted by markwelch View Post
    Unfortunately, most merchants create their policies very quickly, usually in response to a perceived abuse, and often without any rational analysis or consideration of the issues. Often, the policy is created by someone who doesn't understand enough about SEO or SEM to intelligently write a policy.

    It's not a CJ-specific issue, so I'm not sure this forum is the right place to get into a detailed discussion.
    Not CJ specific, but CJ has an inordinately high number of merchants with confusing and contradictory SEM terms. I think this is partly do to a requirement that they had about a year or so ago for all merchants on their network to define their TM bidding policies and publish SEM terms. It seems that many of their merchants waited until the eleventh hour and just threw some crap together and published it to meet the deadline.

    -rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

  5. #5

  6. #6
    ABW Ambassador 2busy's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2005
    Location
    Tropical Mountaintop
    Posts
    5,636
    I took a look at a new program announcement last week and was ready to sign up until I read their terms (SAS):
    "merchant name, LLC, does not allow pay-per-click bidding, search engine optimization, or any use of its trademarks by its affiliate partners."
    That was the entire TOS. There is a need for education.

  7. #7
    http and a telephoto
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    17,708
    This is a great discussion to have because so many merchants don't have a clue. And even though there are existing threads (thanks Mark), many merchants, if they even see those, will say:

    "it doesn't apply to me"
    "our situation is different"
    "our seo guy says...."
    "our inhouse PPC guy says...."

    PPC rules are just one part to of the merchant TOS, but many are treating it as the whole TOS, as 2busy noted.

    I'm actually surprised by some OPM managed programs that don't have a TOS, or clear bidding guidelines. It's one of the first things we discuss with clients now. A few years ago it wasn't as much of a problem, the rules seemed to be more relaxed across the board generally speaking.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

  8. #8
    Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 22nd, 2007
    Location
    West Covina, CA
    Posts
    8,443
    Something all too common that absolutely infuriates me is when a merchant places restrictions - either as "protected" or "non-complete" - on generic keywords that apply not specifically to them but across an industry, such as this list of non-complete keywords recently put out by a CJ garden merchant:
    garden, gardens, garden supplies, garden ornaments, patio furniture, garden tools, garden furniture, garden décor, outdoor décor, garden lighting, greenhouse, greenhouses, arbor, arbors, outdoor fireplaces, wild bird supplies, garden fountains, pond supplies
    If I joined their program I could no longer do ppc for my garden site.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

  9. #9
    ABW Ambassador Greg Rice's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    4,889
    Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateHound View Post
    Something all too common that absolutely infuriates me is when a merchant places restrictions - either as "protected" or "non-complete" - on generic keywords that apply not specifically to them but across an industry, such as this list of non-complete keywords recently put out by a CJ garden merchant:


    If I joined their program I could no longer do ppc for my garden site.
    It's difficult to know where these ideas come from but they often come from the SEO person, outsourced or in-house. They are told to bid on those terms and get results and affiliates drive up the cost for those terms.

    Not saying it's right as I don't agree with it but that is often the case.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

    Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

  10. #10
    ABW Ambassador Joshua's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 17th, 2006
    Posts
    854
    Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateHound View Post
    Something all too common that absolutely infuriates me is when a merchant places restrictions - either as "protected" or "non-complete" - on generic keywords that apply not specifically to them but across an industry, such as this list of non-complete keywords recently put out by a CJ garden merchant:


    If I joined their program I could no longer do ppc for my garden site.
    Sounds like the kind of policy that PMG put in for one of their programs - http://www.abestweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123276 - What a joke when merchants try to do this.

  11. #11
    Comfortably Numb John Powell's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 17th, 2005
    Location
    Bayou Country, LA
    Posts
    3,432
    This week two merchants that use the same AM sent me a 7 day termination notice. They where ticked off because my coupon site has "merchant_name coupons" in meta. They said that there was no value in that for them.

    In the end of some back and forth they settled with whacking my commission. I pointed out that I was sending traffic to my coupon site with other means than search and they seemed enlightened.

    All through our exchange I was frustrated by little phrases that indicated a less than 100% mastery of English language, and kept encouraging phone contact. Not once would they even act like I had mentioned phone contact.

    My conclusion was that it was a big long distance call to talk by phone and they didn't want it known what country their marketing was outsourced too.

    Well if English is a problem all the problems of this thread are magnified.


  12. #12
    ABW Ambassador Greg Rice's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    4,889
    Quote Originally Posted by John Powell View Post
    This week two merchants that use the same AM sent me a 7 day termination notice. They where ticked off because my coupon site has "merchant_name coupons" in meta. They said that there was no value in that for them.

    In the end of some back and forth they settled with whacking my commission. I pointed out that I was sending traffic to my coupon site with other means than search and they seemed enlightened.

    All through our exchange I was frustrated by little phrases that indicated a less than 100% mastery of English language, and kept encouraging phone contact. Not once would they even act like I had mentioned phone contact.

    My conclusion was that it was a big long distance call to talk by phone and they didn't want it known what country their marketing was outsourced too.

    Well if English is a problem all the problems of this thread are magnified.
    There's been a new OPM company in India going after OPM clients here so I wonder if it's them. Sometimes you do get what you pay for...
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

    Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

  13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Featured: Merchants: Do you understand how affiliates use your feeds?
    By Convergence in forum Programming / Datafeeds / Tools
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: August 12th, 2014, 11:39 AM
  2. Do Merchants Understand Search Campaign Wording?
    By Trust in forum Commission Junction - CJ
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: July 3rd, 2010, 03:34 PM
  3. Big Red Wording in Some CJ Merchants Special T&Cs
    By Kevin in forum New York Affiliate Tax
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: November 14th, 2008, 10:51 AM
  4. Meta Tags--Merchants, Help Me Understand
    By SunshineTricia in forum Midnight Cafe'
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: October 6th, 2008, 03:40 AM
  5. Getting Merchants to Understand Morpheus' Tactics
    By Janiss in forum Midnight Cafe'
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: September 21st, 2002, 09:30 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •