More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Project Wonderful?
    Anybody use Project Wonderful, http://www.projectwonderful.com/abou...iteauction.php to advertise or place ads on your site?
    My son told me about it but never heard of it before that.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead View Post
    Anybody use Project Wonderful, http://www.projectwonderful.com/abou...iteauction.php to advertise or place ads on your site?
    My son told me about it but never heard of it before that.
    Never heard of it. But it really looks intriguing. If you try it, please report back and let us know what happens!
    Generate more fake news.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    The concept looks interesting, but it is very time consuming to look through possible sites on which you would want your links to be placed, and after going through a few dozen, there wasn't one appropriate for ads for any of my sites. There does not seem to be any way to look at categories of sites, only by traffic level.
    Last edited by Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound; July 5th, 2010 at 10:39 PM.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

It's a concept that's been offered by a number of different companies over the past 15 years. Sometimes it's been successful (and then the company gets acquired and transmogrified into oblivion).

There is a category system (click on "Search Our Publishers," then click "sites and categories" and click a category and then click the search button). Like many dozens of ad-networks' categories over the past 15 years, the categories are broad and vague (to understand how persistent this problem has been, see the ad-network/web-publisher category lists I compiled from ad networks in early 1997, in this article - scroll down 3/4 of the way to the section titled "Advertising Categories Available as of March 1997"). I tried to find some publishers whom I'd consider "respectable or legitimate" in a couple of categories on the Project Wonderful site, and was quite disappointed.

Using Google AdWords to dynamically (or manually) place ads on web sites in the Content Network has proven very, very effective (when properly managed, which requires lots of time and attention); I don't see what advantage this particular alternative offers.

From first appearance, it looks time consuming if you are an advertiser. But, if you follow the example, you can get some free exposure. From a publisher standpoint it looks to be a pretty low paying venture. If I try it out on a new site I will let everyone know what happens. Also trying AdBrite on a new site now - it looks like it might work out.
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

So much for AdBrite. Started getting gambling and dating ads, on a homeschool site. Also got IMVU ads, which seemed to be more a kids type site at one time, but now seem to be much more, and certainly not suitable for a family site. So I tried to run only approved ads and now I mostly get insurance and designer handbag ads, or nothing at all.

What I am trying to do here is trying to implement some sort of alternative to AdSense, just in case. What I am finding so far is there is no decent alternative.
    Last edited by Cheesehead; July 7th, 2010 at 11:15 AM.

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread