CJ links don't work
    Greetings,
    I'm new here and hoping some experienced hands can help solve a link prolbem with CJ. If this has been answered please direct me to that thread.

I'm trying to get set up as an affiliate with a company. CJ handles their stuff. The problem is, a text link I got from the CJ site is being rejected by Google and Safari.

Safari says - -

"Safari canít open the specified address.
    Safari canít open ďa%20href=%22http://www.dpbolvw.net/click-3984997-10431911?sid=2189836%22%20target=%22_top%22%3ESame%20Day%20Shipping*%20on%20Halloween%20Costumes%3C/a%3E%3Cimg%20src=%22http://www.awltovhc.com/image-3984997-10431911%22%20width=%221%22%20height=%221%22%20border=%220%22/Ē because the first character of its address is not valid."

When I paste the link into the Firefox URL bar, I get:

"Your search did not match any documents. "

Here's the original link from CJ - Same Day Shipping* on Halloween Costumes

I want to use the link in an Anchor Text link on a website I'm building. I've been out here about 7 years or so and I've never run into a problem like this.

What am I missing? Why does the structure of the link get changed as soon as its activated? What do I need to do to make it work?

Appreciate your help. Thanks.

Wes
    Last edited by Bill; July 5th, 2010 at 09:19 PM. Reason: Unlinked. Aff links are not allowed.

The link works

http://www dpbolvw.net/click-3984997-10431911

Check your html code; you made a coding mistake somewhere along the line.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

http and a telephoto
    a%20href=%22
    This part is totally not right. Whatever you are using to make that link it encoding the part that shouldn't be encoded.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

You're probably pasting the link into the WYSIWYG editor part of your HTML editor, which is then encoding various characters. Instead, try pasting the original link from CJ into the "source view" or "html view" of your editor.

Quote Originally Posted by dsharpie View Post
    You're probably pasting the link into the WYSIWYG editor part of your HTML editor, which is then encoding various characters. Instead, try pasting the original link from CJ into the "source view" or "html view" of your editor.
    I have to agree, that's what it looks like to me. Made that mistake enough times to recognize it. The biggest clue is the %20
    :rankn-scp John - This is our chosen profession. This is our way. This is what we do.

davidh,
    you said:
    The link works

http://www dpbolvw.net/click-3984997-10431911

Check your html code; you made a coding mistake somewhere along the line.

I didn't make any changes to the code. I simply pasted the link into the URL address bar, and clicked 'enter' It appears the browsers are changing the code.
    I, too, was able to canilbalize the original link and make it work, ie,

http://www.buycostumes.com/?REF=AFC-...97&SID=2189836 This works, but notice it doesn't include the CJ server info. How critical is that piece of info?

Thanks to everybody who responded. I'll keep trying your suggestions until I get something to work.

Wes

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Wes Nathan View Post
    Greetings,

I'm trying to get set up as an affiliate with a company. CJ handles their stuff. The problem is, a text link I got from the CJ site is being rejected by Google and Safari.

Wes
    now that's interesting. maybe google just wants to make GAN links work and not cj.

if you have a high impression rate and low click through, that may be the cause.

If you are pasting in the entire link from CJ (including the a href part of it) into the brower URL bar, then of course it won't work. The correct part of it to go there is the part after href= (between the quote signs). The entire CJ link you showed us here is what you would put into the HTML of your web page.

CL links don't work
    dsharpie and all,

Yep, I just discovered what you just wrote:

"If you are pasting in the entire link from CJ (including the a href part of it) into the brower URL bar, then of course it won't work. The correct part of it to go there is the part after href= (between the quote signs). The entire CJ link you showed us here is what you would put into the HTML of your web page."

There are two different kinds of links involved here. One creates an ad on the website, by placing the code in the Source area (I'm using XSite Pro). In the WYSIWYG area, the ad shows up and the link works. I was trying to use the same code as Anchor text, and of course, it will never work.

My apologies to everybody for being so stupid. I havn't built a site for almost a year, and this old memory isn't what it used to be. Really appreciate you taking the time to get me straight and on track again. Thanks.

Wes

Ah well, we do all get rusty and all that!

The thing with cj link codes is that they presume that we are all going to copy and paste. Allowances are not made for the fact that we may want to put in our own anchor text.
    Michelle
    Affilorama Group Ltd
    Affiliate Marketing by Affilorama | Free SEO Software by Traffic Travis

Hi Wes, Kristen here from BuyCostumes.com.

You said the below:

Halloween Costumes for Adults, Teens & Kids - Halloween Costume : Buy Costumes This works, but notice it doesn't include the CJ server info. How critical is that piece of info?
    The answer - VERY CRITICAL. CJ links have to have the name of one of their servers to 'call' and ping their system. Then they direct immediately to the merchant site, in this case BuyCostumes.com. But if you link to a BuyCostumes.com alone, no 'call' has been made and no connection from CJ to your account and to BuyCostumes.com has been made. You can't get paid.

We do allow Deep Linking so you can create custom links. I actually have Tool you can use to do this on the fly that provides the entire HTML or just the tracking link. (Very good for Bloggesr, WP users, etc..)

But that CJ prefix/name of server must precede the landing page you want to link to beginning with http://www.buycostumes.com...and ending with .aspx. Again, I'm speaking for my site only.

Can you contact me direct? kristen at buycostumes.com - would love to make sure your links are correct and I apologize for not seeing this sooner. I know you'll have a realy good understanding by the time we're done talking about this and CJ links in general. Thanks! ~Kristen Grace

ABW Ambassador
    hmmm. is that a mistake somewhere, or you just happened to catch them at their act?

buycostumes at one time expired affiliates the day before a big shopping holiday.
    since they were still active at cj, their links kept on working during that holiday but they were not commissionable.

It sounds like there might be something else in play
    You sure you have not installed a recent plugin on Safari or Google Chrome?

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread