I just got to thinking that maybe affiliates need to start being more original. Rather than building a site around a particular niche, why not focus more on a gimmick. I don't see too many affiliate sites that really catch my attention like this. Most sites obviously aren't even built for joe surfer. There's very poor user interaction.

Let's see if we can brainstorm some ideas on being unique. Of course adding a forum is a cliche gimmick, so let's see what else we can come up with. How about a poll to vote on your favorite gift. Maybe take the top 5 products from a particular category and create a poll around them.

Why not incorporate some media like movie preview clips to sell movies. How about a shopping Disneyland where each world is themed differently. How about a shopping mall that looks like a real shopping mall.

We need to start getting creative.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Snib:
    I just got to thinking that maybe affiliates need to start being more original. Rather than building a site around a particular niche, why not focus more on a gimmick. I don't see too many affiliate sites that really catch my attention like this. Most sites obviously aren't even built for joe surfer. There's very poor user interaction.

Let's see if we can brainstorm some ideas on being unique. Of course adding a forum is a cliche gimmick, so let's see what else we can come up with. How about a poll to vote on your favorite gift. Maybe take the top 5 products from a particular category and create a poll around them.

Why not incorporate some media like movie preview clips to sell movies. How about a shopping Disneyland where each world is themed differently. How about a shopping mall that looks like a real shopping mall.

We need to start getting creative.

- Scott <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> That's a great idea,since i had a lot of retail design experience, I thought my 4 sites were cool & creative,and with google's weekly top 500 keywords, to avoid,but my taffic is sky high,and the earnings since May zilch, only one check from Mondera,even with the parasites,which I quarantine everyday,i check reports on each affiliate program, all nice, no cash,Is it the slow season, the economy, the job slump, each site is registered with Verisgn, the domain names all have at least shopping, or saving,browsing, or stolen sales?We need an affiliate association, like when the unions were strong, before they were busted up, and most of what we sell is from overseas any way, A friend said he thinks the only thing left to be made in this country, are babies, maybe he's right.

Unions = Link Exchanges

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Snib:
    Unions = Link Exchanges <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

had that discussion yesterday....

what we need is a trade group specifically for affiliates!
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    that's my2cents, 'cuz I'm a legend in my own mind....

Some of our sites here were original ideas

It is a good idea to think of a new focus. I think having an idea or focus is vital. It is not just about providing links, but something that makes people WANT to come back and see what is up If people want to come back, you don't have to buy visitors.

ABW Ambassador
    We need a trade group so you can come up with an original idea? Or are you just asking for other people to come up with an original idea so you can steal it?

I think there are many original ideas created by people here, but you probably won't find many people talking about them. Coupon sites don't care if they have another coupon site to compete with, but people with unique sites don't want to stir up competition. Competition comes quick enough without mentioning it on webmaster forums.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Michael,

I know what you mean. I'm definitely holding back on a few gems I've got going. I can only hope they go unnoticed by webmasters for as long as possible!!

But I've got a ton of ideas and many of them need to be implemented by somebody else so I can see how another mind implements them.

- Scott

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread