Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    "The Internet's completely over,
    According to Prince, "The Internet's completely over,. He's referring to the music industry but has this guy totally clueless?

Here's the article:
    http://marquee.blogs.cnn.com/2010/07...s-dead/?hpt=T2

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by bibby View Post
    According to Prince, "The Internet's completely over,”. He's referring to the music industry but has this guy totally clueless?

Here's the article:
    http://marquee.blogs.cnn.com/2010/07...s-dead/?hpt=T2
    I actually like Prince but his views on this are totally off. He just doesn't get it trying to keep his music from various online outlets, when they can help get his music in front of people, even new fans. That's a good thing. And it's not like they can't find many places where they can just download it for free anyway.

Is he clueless or did he just snap up a gazillion dollars worth of free publicity for his upcoming CD release?
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

Funny I just read about that on the Telegraph.co.uk site and thought to myself, "You Wish". I never cared much for his music but he's totally out to lunch on this one.
    :rankn-scp John - This is our chosen profession. This is our way. This is what we do.

Quote Originally Posted by davidh View Post
    Is he clueless or did he just snap up a gazillion dollars worth of free publicity for his upcoming CD release?
    Definitely that latter, and probably the former.
    :rankn-scp John - This is our chosen profession. This is our way. This is what we do.

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    Ha, I saw this. Not that he needs to but he should observe what the Internet has done for Scott and Seth Avett (The Avett Brothers) over the past couple of years.

SEO: A Specialty - Web Design: Slow or outsourced andbeyond's Avatar
    The Call is coming from Inside the House!
    He is just another rich guy who has absolutely no idea what normal life is like. Ask him what a gallon of milk costs or a loaf of bread and watch the hilarity ensue.

And how long has it been since computers were about numbers? Nobody programs and everything is glossy and drag and click.

He is giving his music away it seems. But the recording company is fronting him an advance? His problem is he is risk averse and thinks someone else should take the risk.

I like some of his music but think he shouldn't give interviews while whacked out on whatever he's smoking. Does it make sense to make $0 sales because they won't pay you in advance? I'll keep my "computers and digital gadgets" thank you very much.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

Kevin Smith talked about working with Prince for a week, and it's quite an insight into the delusional world that Prince lives in. It's up on YouTube:

Part one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gy_cLJ19HMg
    Part two: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9O130NYr_4
    Part three: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCm4Jxo3ltE
    Part four: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vo0LbQzdz1A

It's long, but it's sooooo worth it.

"Prince has been living in Prince World for quite some time."
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

Prince is a creative genius. Creative geniuses are usually crazy, just the way the brain works

Genius, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder. I don't consider him a genius. I consider him... well, I barely consider him at all, really.

Yeah, he's had a couple dozen songs in the charts, but he's put out more than 30 albums in 30 years, the vast majority of which have failed to chart in any way. Geniuses don't fail as much as he has - or scam the system as much as he has. Read up on why Musicology sold as many units as it did (hint: it wasn't because people actually bought it).
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

ABW Ambassador
    Fail? A couple of dozen, more like 49 - http://www.8notes.com/biographies/prince.asp

That's just his hits. Now if you factor on all the hits he wrote for other artists, the list gets even bigger. Understand what you said about Musicology, with sales of that cd counted but was part of the concert price. But he also won 2 Grammys for Musicology and was nominated for some others. Then:

"He has won seven Grammy Awards, a Golden Globe, and an Academy Award. He was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2004, the first year he was eligible.

In that same year Rolling Stone ranked Prince #28 on its list of the 100 Greatest Artists of All Time."

I think most artists would take that kind of fail
    Last edited by Trust; July 6th, 2010 at 10:42 PM.

And unlike most other pop stars, he is a bona fide musician; he knows his instrument(s) inside-out and knows what to do with them. Not that he necessarily puts all that talent and skill to real use... if he did, he would probably not sell any records at all.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates

And if I put any stock in the quality of the Grammys that might sway me... but I don't. Still, I see your point and guessed at his charting singles a little low, but I still say "genius" is too large a title for him. He hasn't had a top ten single on the US R&B chart since 1996 and hasn't had a top ten single on the US (main) chart since 1992. He's had 30 singles since then, failing to chart well. I'm just saying, I think "genius" is as stretch. Just my opinion.

And the scamming of the system for Musicology's sales numbers, awards notwithstanding, still gets a big thumbs down from me. Poor form, very poor form.

I still say he's insane though
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

Oh yeah, and if the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame won't induct Rush, they don't get my respect, either lol
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel M. Clark View Post
    Oh yeah, and if the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame won't induct Rush, they don't get my respect, either lol
    I'm Canadian and like many of my countrymen I support Canadian artists but I've always hated Rush's music.

There are very few middle ground folks; Rush tends to be more "love 'em or hate 'em", generally speaking.

I get where you're coming from, though I disagree
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel M. Clark View Post
    There are very few middle ground folks; Rush tends to be more "love 'em or hate 'em", generally speaking.

I get where you're coming from, though I disagree
    funny thing is that heated debates can occur when talking about Rush. I was at this party and the topic of Rush came up. Me and my big mouth got me in heaps of trouble with the crowd. I said they suck and then all hell broke loose.

My girlfriend at the time said "couldn't you have just kept your opinion to yourself", to which I replied "that's not me..I guess you're looking for a sheeple". She said "what?" and I said Bah Bah Bah.

We didn't last long after that.

I mean c'mon, you guys know that I rant, rave and vent here at ABW. We don't always agree but we can respect our differences. I do actually see how people would like the band and boy they have a follwoing after all these years.

LOL Bibby. If our paths ever cross, the coffee or beer is on me Your story reminds me of the time I was in the company of a bunch of Zeppelinheads and remarked that The Sweet could have shown Zep a thing or two about how to rock it.
    Last edited by davidh; July 7th, 2010 at 01:09 AM.

ABW Ambassador
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by davidh View Post
    LOL Bibby. If our paths ever cross, the coffee or beer is on me Your story reminds me of the time I was in the company of a bunch of Zeppelinheads and remarked that The Sweet could have shown Zep a thing or two about how to rock it.
    LOL. I wish I had been there, I'm sure I could have voiced my agreement! O boy, now I'm going to piss of Zep fans.

Maybe someday I'll actually foot the bill for an affiliate conference and we can meet. Do you attend conferences?

Things do work out for the best. A few years later I met my wife and G-d bless her, she allows me to rant and express myself.

Mrs. bibby deserves a medal. Soemtimes she reads my posts and shakes her head and says "bibb's, you really love that affiliate forum..don't you?". She never tells me to stop having an opinion.
    Last edited by bibby; July 7th, 2010 at 01:18 AM.

Prince is a genius and a prodigy. Was rated as one of the 10 top ten guitarist of all time in a few publications.

Quote Originally Posted by shimmy View Post
    Prince is a genius and a prodigy. Was rated as one of the 10 top ten guitarist of all time in a few publications.
    He's just out of touch with reality.
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

Quote Originally Posted by leeann View Post
    He's just out of touch with reality.
    yep, many great artist are. Like the Aristotle quote "No great genius was without a mixture of insanity"

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by shimmy View Post
    While I like Prince and agree on the genius part, top 10 guitarists of all time is just insane.

Hmm, I see what you're saying, I do see some have him listed like that. Time has him at #10 (crazy) and he's not even listed in the top 100 of Rolling Stone's The 100 Greatest Guitarists of All Time.
    Last edited by Trust; July 7th, 2010 at 02:17 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast