NexTag & Bing?
    I don't follow this stuff anymore, but I notice it sometimes.

Yesterday I searched on Bing for chimineas, the outdoor, freestanding fireplace things often made of clay and imported from Mexico.

Today I visited a site that hosts NexTag ads (logo in the corner marking their ad block) and all of the ads displayed were for chimineas.

First off, Bing, please stop recording what I do and following me around. It bugs me. I dumped Google for you, who should I choose next?

Second off, why does NexTag know what I searched for on Bing yesterday?

Bing, stop recording, stop following and stop sharing what I search for.
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    No need to think for ourselves anymore; G & B are more than happy to do it for us.

The future is now.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

There is even mention of that process (legal spyware?) in the new Privacy Terms that G's Adsense is requiring to have posted on any site using that product.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Display of Advertising (Opt-Out)
    Many of the Web sites and online services we offer, as well as those of our partners, are supported by advertising. Through the Microsoft Advertising Platform, we may display ads on our own sites and the sites of our advertising partners.

When we display online advertisements to you, we will place a one or more persistent cookies on your computer in order to recognize your computer each time we display an ad to you. The cookies we use for advertising have an expiry date of no more than 2 years. Because we may serve advertisements on many different Web sites, we are able to compile information over time about where you, or others who are using your computer, saw and/or clicked on the advertisements we display. We use this information to make predictions about your characteristics, interests or preferences and to display targeted advertisements that we believe may be of interest to you. We may also associate this information with your subsequent visit, purchase or other activity on participating advertisers’ Web sites in order to determine the effectiveness of the advertisements.

While we may use some of the information we collect in order to personalize the ads we show you, we designed our systems to select ads based only on data that does not personally and directly identify you. For example, we may select the ads we display according to certain general interest categories or segments that we have inferred based on (a) demographic or interest data, including any you may have provided when creating an account (e.g. age, zip or postal code, gender), demographic or interest data acquired from other companies, and a general geographic location derived from your IP address, (b) the pages you view and links you click when using Microsoft’s and its advertising partners’ Web sites and services, and (c) the search terms you enter when using Microsoft’s Internet search services, such as Bing, and (d) information about the users you most frequently interact with through Microsoft’s communications or social networking services, such as Messenger. For more information about how we target ads, visit Personalized Advertising from Microsoft.

When we display personalized targeted ads, we take a number of steps designed to protect your privacy. For example, we store page views, clicks and search terms used for ad personalization targeting separately from your contact information or other data that directly identifies you (such as your name, e-mail address, etc.). Further, we have built in technological and process safeguards designed to prevent the unauthorized correlation of this data. We also give you the ability to opt-out of personalized targeted ads. For more information or to use the opt-out feature, you may visit our opt-out page. In addition, you can go to the Network Advertising Initiative, which offers a single location to opt-out of ad targeting from member companies.

We also provide third party ad delivery through our Atlas subsidiary. For more information, visit the Atlas website at: http: //www .atlassolutions .com/.

Although the majority of the online advertisements on Microsoft sites are displayed by Microsoft, we also allow third-party ad serving companies, including other ad networks, to display advertisements on our sites. These companies currently include, but are not limited to: 24/7 Real Media, aCerno,Inc, AdBlade, AdConion, AdFusion, Advertising.com, Bane Media, Brand.net, CasaleMedia, Collective Media, Fox Interactive, Interclick, Millennial, PrecisionClick, ROI Media, Social Media, SpecificMedia, TrafficMarketplace, Tribal Fusion, ValueClick, and YuMe.

These companies may offer you a way to opt-out of ad targeting based on their cookies, and some of them are also members of the Network Advertising Initiative. You may find more information by clicking on the company names above and following the links to the Web sites of each company.
    Some days I really don't like the Internet...
    Eathan Mertz

Quote Originally Posted by Eathan View Post

Second off, why does NexTag know what I searched for on Bing yesterday?

Bing, stop recording, stop following and stop sharing what I search for.
    Did you click through to any results, or just search and not click through to anything? If you visited ANY result, it's probably a site that had a NexTag re-targeting pixel on it, and not Bing's doing.

You may be right. It could've been a NexTag cookie on a landing page, but Bing is also sharing their targeted ad stuff through Atlas. Either way it's creepy.
    Eathan Mertz

Eathan, I highly recommend using Ixquick for your search engine. They are big on privacy (no recording of IP addresses). I've used them for years and seem to be able to find what I'm looking for without problems.
    Adam Ward, [URL="http://esilverbullet.com"]eSilverBullet[/URL]: software tools for affiliate marketing
    The eSilverBullet [URL="http://esilverbullet.com/blog"]blog[/URL]

Thanks, Adam! I'll check 'em out.
    Eathan Mertz

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread