Outdated Banners!
    You have to love the merchants who still have Halloween,Christmas,Mothers Day and Fathers Day banners still being offered. Also the fact that many Merchants have just one banner to use. This tells me that some merchants just don't care. Having said this I just bypass them. If merchants expect affilates to promote them then I suggest they get a handle on the above.

Quote Originally Posted by mailman View Post
    You have to love the merchants who still have Halloween,Christmas,Mothers Day and Fathers Day banners still being offered. Also the fact that many Merchants have just one banner to use. This tells me that some merchants just don't care. Having said this I just bypass them. If merchants expect affilates to promote them then I suggest they get a handle on the above.
    Agreed! Wouldn't that be funny if you got a deactivation notice due to your inactivity?
    What about their inactivity?

Tax Paying Member
    It is looking ahead.

Leave them up and they don't need to do that work when the holiday rolls around again.

Oh gosh......someone will need to change expiration dates.
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

Affiliate Manager ParadigmWilliam's Avatar
    I know, I saw a merchant that had a banner that had "Expires 12/31/98".

I guess they mean 2098 instead of 1998
    [URL="http://www.manageaffiliatelinks.com/"][COLOR="Red"][B]Manage Affiliate Links[/B][/COLOR][/URL] - Redirect Dead, Expired, or Broken Links

[URL="http://www.wpcoupon.com/"][COLOR="Blue"][B]WP Coupon[/B][/COLOR][/URL] - Turn Wordpress into a Coupon Site!

Smile
    Quote Originally Posted by ParadigmWilliam View Post
    I know, I saw a merchant that had a banner that had "Expires 12/31/98".

I guess they mean 2098 instead of 1998
    Nope...probably 2008. That was probably the last time they updated their links.

Do networks have inactivity rules for merchants? Probably not.

Merchants can slap one text link and banner, never update and a network like CJ can support the merchant for booting out affiliates who are deemed "inactive".
    We're expected to promote the merchant, even without adequate tools in some cases and we get the boot when we're deemed inactive. That makes a lot of sense to me.

Granted this doesn't represent all merchants but the fact it represents any is a joke.

Banners
    I'm a new merchant - and I just uploaded something like 42 some odd banners in all shapes and sizes. What are affiliates looking for as far as the most used banner types?

Affiliate Manager ParadigmWilliam's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddha Board View Post
    I'm a new merchant - and I just uploaded something like 42 some odd banners in all shapes and sizes. What are affiliates looking for as far as the most used banner types?
    Banners that are updated frequently with special deals and offers that relate to the current promotion.
    [URL="http://www.manageaffiliatelinks.com/"][COLOR="Red"][B]Manage Affiliate Links[/B][/COLOR][/URL] - Redirect Dead, Expired, or Broken Links

[URL="http://www.wpcoupon.com/"][COLOR="Blue"][B]WP Coupon[/B][/COLOR][/URL] - Turn Wordpress into a Coupon Site!

All merchants should have a bare minimum of at least one of each standard size of "all-purpose generic banners".
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

Is this list too extensive?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_banner

It's not "too extensive" at all. There are a few there that would get used more than most others, and a few that would get used less than most others, but those are all standard sizes.
    Last edited by davidh; July 8th, 2010 at 03:01 PM.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates

Quote Originally Posted by davidh View Post
    All merchants should have a bare minimum of at least one of each standard size of "all-purpose generic banners".
    I can recommend an excellent graphic designer who works at reasonable rates. Over the last couple of weeks she completed three sets of banners for us and we are contracting with her for another set. There are some samples of her work in THIS THREAD and more in THIS THREAD.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Yop, she does very nice work

Quote Originally Posted by mailman View Post
    Would it be relevant though to have specific banner types up year round so when the time came across - you could simply utilize them again?

Obviously - this is already assuming they have the "normal" set readily available.

Would it be relevant though to have specific banner types up year round so when the time came across - you could simply utilize them again
    It makes sense to leave them up year-round so that those who have seasonal sites don't have to double back and keep re-doing work every year.

Banners with promotions that "expire" - but aren't replaced/updated - just get in the way, especially if there aren't any generic/non-expiring links.

Aside from banners I appreciate a nice decription of the merchant,about. I usually visit the merchants and copy their about statements. As to banners I use 125X125, 468x60 and 160X600. many might have more preferance.

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread