Google Ads on ritepricemagazines com
    Google Ads all over it ritepricemagazines dot com
    Last edited by ske9963; July 8th, 2010 at 12:31 PM.
    Ma, where the beer? :escape:

Affiliate Manager ParadigmWilliam's Avatar
    I am seeing more "newbie" merchants doing this. I think it really brings down the quality of their site. Just stay away and don't promote them.
    [URL="http://www.manageaffiliatelinks.com/"][COLOR="Red"][B]Manage Affiliate Links[/B][/COLOR][/URL] - Redirect Dead, Expired, or Broken Links

[URL="http://www.wpcoupon.com/"][COLOR="Blue"][B]WP Coupon[/B][/COLOR][/URL] - Turn Wordpress into a Coupon Site!

I wonder what is SAS's stance on this.

This also undermines the quality of merchant that SAS brings aboard.
    Ma, where the beer? :escape:

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by ParadigmWilliam View Post
    I am seeing more "newbie" merchants doing this. I think it really brings down the quality of their site. Just stay away and don't promote them.
    Sometimes the merchants just need an email from affiliates explaining why this is bad for their site image and not just bad for the affiliate program. Most of the time "someone" suggested they add the adsense and they didn't think it through and they don't make much money (if any) with it anyway.

Other times it is just that they don't care because they are earning a great deal with adsense.

Do you know if this is new for them or were you looking for new merchants and found it?
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

You could always buy ads on their site through AdWords and promote their competitors.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Two good suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by loxly View Post
    Sometimes the merchants just need an email from affiliates explaining why this is bad for their site image and not just bad for the affiliate program. * * *
    It's sometimes helpful to ask the merchant, "What business are you in?" If the merchant says, "we sell magazines," we ask,"Then why are you running ads for other companies on your web site? It looks like you are a web publisher, seeking to make your profits from advertising, not from selling magazine subscriptions. That gives the wrong impression to consumers, and to your prospective affiliates."

In most cases, the ads also make merchant sites look less professional, but that's not usually an effective argument.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    You could always buy ads on their site through AdWords and promote their competitors.
    I have earned money in the past by running PPC keyword ads through the AdWords "content network" (AdSense), so that my ads appear on this type of merchant site (and on some price-comparison and coupon web sites). Such advertising can be especially effective and efficient if your ad includes a price: if the price in your ad is lower than the merchant's price, you'll poach their customers; if the price in your ad is higher than the merchant's, then few people will click and Google will stop showing your ad on those pages.

The "downside" of Google Content Network advertising is that you must actively manage these campaigns to exclude hundreds of very-small-traffic sleazy and fraudulent sites each month, or else you'll suffer the "death of a thousand cuts" in which you end up wasting a small but slowly-increasing amount (a nickel, then a quarter, then a dollar) on each of hundreds of web sites every month. This is one of the reasons so many folks exclude the Content Network from their AdWords campaigns -- which in turn leaves an opportunity for those who can actively manage campaigns in the Content Network.
    Last edited by markwelch; July 9th, 2010 at 11:27 AM.

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread