trying to get things going after transferring a domain
    I started out over a year ago, starting on a freewebs site to learn some things. I got a new job last year, forgot about the site, checked on it recently and all of my links were broken. I decided to either shut it down or open a new site the right way. I was making money on my shop and my site, so I figured I'd start it up again and learn along the way.

So I transferred my domain, set up on wordpress, uploaded my cafepress site onto the site and created two niche blogs within it as well. Didn't think I was doing too bad for about 2 weeks learning on WP.

I checked google and all of my analytics are still coming from freewebs. They won't let me cancel my premium services. My domain is transferred, and shows up on bluehost as not being through webs anymore. If I view the source code of the old site (which is now one page with a redirect) there's no analytics code, and I have installed it on my new site. In the reports it shows up as all referrals from webs. ??

I've gone through most of the webmaster tools, submitted a sitemap etc. It still shows up crawl errors saying the old site pages are showing up as not found. It's about 5 days difference from the sitemap submission to the crawl errors.

I usually can pick up on things pretty well on my own, but I'm in over my head with this--did I do something wrong or am I not being patient enough for things to start showing up correctly?

Update DNS settings
    If I understand, you have a Domain name. On the web site of the Domain Registrar (GoDaddy, Name, Namecheap, etc.) you need to update the DNS Servers. There are at least two (2), possibly more, DNS Servers, that your web hosting company wants you to use. You need to change the DNS settings, from the Servers freewebs told you to use, to those of Bluehost, with your Domain Name Registrar.

BTW, it is better, to have your Domain Name registered with a company that is not your web hosting company, to prevent problems.

If the TLD of the domain name is .com the DNS propagation throughout the Internet should be very fast. Hours. If it is another TLD, it will probably finish within 48-72 hours

If you are using a Linux computer, from the shell, use the traceroute command, to be sure it is resolving to the new server at Bluehost. If you are using M$ Windows, the command is similar, but I'm not sure what it is.

I'm not sure I completely understand the problem(s), so please give me more information about the issues if I have not put you on the right path and I will try again. GL

P.S.
    My experience is that Google's Webmaster Tools and Analytics are not always up to date and sometimes take awhile to get correct. In Webmaster Tools, you might click to Resubmit the sitemap.txt file. I always do that, after adding a new web page, to let them know it has changed.

Addition: I have a brand new web site. I got the Domain Name on 29 or 30 May 2010. Apparently, it had been registered before. I am still (as of today, 08 July 2010) seeing Crawl Errors, in Google's Webmaster Tools, that they could not find the Domain Name, etc., on 28 May 2010, which is before I had the domain name. As I recall, that was as of 12 June 2010, the last time Google updated that data.
    Last edited by Lanny; July 8th, 2010 at 09:47 PM. Reason: Add my experience with Webmaster Tools Crawl Errors on new site

Awesome! That makes sense, thank you for taking the time to explain it. I do have a question though. There's a place where you can enter in the two numbers with webs. On my new registrar's info there's a name and a number listed. Do I list both the name and number or just the number? (sorry I really have no idea when it comes to this--I'm still pretty amazed I was able to figure out how to load cpshop by myself)

Log in to your registrar and change the dns settings to ns1.bluehost.com and ns2.bluehost.com (assuming that you're using bluehost and your bluehost account name is the same as the domain in question).
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

Thank you!
    I went to webs, entered the information and it said that the domain wasn't found. It's still listed as a domain on my dashboard, and it has a link to "manage" it. When I enter and then click next it says it's not found.
    I'm going to break from it for now and think about it again later. I appreciate all the help, thank you for being so helpful!

Where is the Domain Name registered?
    Quote Originally Posted by avgsuperheroine View Post
    Thank you!
    I went to webs, entered the information and it said that the domain wasn't found. It's still listed as a domain on my dashboard, and it has a link to "manage" it. When I enter and then click next it says it's not found.
    I'm going to break from it for now and think about it again later. I appreciate all the help, thank you for being so helpful!
    What company is the domain name registered with? If it is GoDaddy, Name, Namecheap, etc., go to their web site and change the DNS settings for your domain name there.

Hang in there! You are almost done!

Perhaps I'm missing something. You said you have transferred the domain. If so, modifying configuration in freewebs (old registrar?) will not help.

Once you get it transferred, you have to modify the domain information to point to your new DNS server. You can find the (usually) two name servers in the welcome email of your new hosting account.

But I also noticed you said you can access your domain and open the new web site in Bluehost so I guess you only need to wait some time for propagation. There is nothing else you can do but wait

And yes, Google Analytics is not real time, last time I checked.

Thank you again--

I resubmitted my sitemap, hopefully that will help also.

And I think I figured out the problem. I used to be on a niche forum (maybe three years ago)that allows web page links in the signatures. I do actually get quite a bit of traffic from some really old posts, so I went and checked and they have my old "free" address that is the new free address that my website reverted back to. I forgot that several years ago I actually used the longer free format in my signature--so I was getting referral links from those. They were never typed in as the newer registered domain name.

Good to know I'm on the right track though.

Is the domain pointed to the current webhost though? If you are getting "crawl errors" for pages that do exist, maybe you still need to point the domain to the server that the pages are on now.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates

I just double checked the crawl error list, and all of them in the last couple of days are now for actual site pages and not for the old website pages.

Is the domain still pointed to a server that does not have those pages on it any more? If your pages are on a bluehost account now, you need to change the dns settings to point the domain to the bluehost server.

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread