ABW Ambassador
    Closing a Very Old Thread
    why close a thread just because (and the only reason is that) it is really old.

sorry, i don't get it.

if there are still users wishing to comment, then the topic is still good and relevant regardless of how old it is.

just exercising your power to close something?

no offense intended. i just don't get it.

I've always scratched my head about that, too, unless it's a case where some newbie came along and bumped it with a spammy or otherwise inane post.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

http and a telephoto
    Sorry, I thought that the conversation there was dated and was bumped inadvertantly. I'll go reopen it.
    just exercising your power to close something?
    Power? lol. Some people get upset when they go to a thread about something that was "dead" 3 - 4 years ago. There are times when it is totally appropriate to revive old threads. In this case it didn't seem so.

Have a good night. Sorry to have upset you.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Typically, we only close old threads if they have become spam magnets or if they get bumped and are no longer relevant.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey View Post
    Typically, we only close old threads if they have become spam magnets or if they get bumped and are no longer relevant.
    I think it might make sense to "automatically" close out threads that haven't had any new posts in 2 years or more.

I am sometimes very confused when an ancient thread gets bumped. Since I don't normally look at the dates, I sometimes think the bumped thread is actually a new discussion, and I spend 5 or 10 minutes reading (and often wondering why this topic is coming up today) until I get to the spam or newbie inquiry at the end, and then realize what's happened.

On the other hand, I recognize that if there is an existing thread with a title like "Has Anyone Had Experience with XYZ.com?" then it's quite reasonable to leave that open for folks to add their newer experiences.

Sometimes when this happens, while I'm reading the ancient thread (believing that it's new), I think about writing a reply -- but even if I think I could add some meaningful information or perspective, if I find that the thread is ancient, I won't post a new reply. It seems silly to post a new reply to an ancient discussion thread, most of the time.

It might be worth looking at what % of "new posts to old threads" are legitimate -- if it's less than 5% (as I suspect it is), then auto-closing old discussions seems a wise move to reduce moderators' workloads. Perhaps this is something to reconsider after action is taken to make the "related threads" lists more helpful.
    Last edited by markwelch; July 9th, 2010 at 11:51 AM.

Just wondering, not sure if its been brought up before, but is it possible to to put the start date like it shows the last post date? It is sometimes annoying to see a new post only to find out it was started in 2006 and someone bumped it.

ABW Ambassador
    They've got those this is an old thread warnings before you post. Seen those on others forums. You can set some time where that warning will be given before somebody posts.

It would also help to fix this, which has been brought up before, shown below threads:

Similar Threads

Some of those are very, very old and there are more recent similar threads.
    Last edited by Trust; July 9th, 2010 at 12:05 PM.

If something is deemed so irrelevant, by virtue of the age of the thread alone, to justify being closed, then it may as well just be deleted.

If there is no justification for deleting a thread, then what justification can there be for closing it, other than if it's causing problems?
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

Because that would violate the First Law of Internet Communities: Thou Shalt Not Delete ANYTHING.
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

ABW Ambassador
    How about let the OPs decide if they want the old thread be closed or let it go on? After all, a thread was started by somebody at sometime when situation could be completely different. I think it is fair to let the thread starter to make decsion and request a mod to closed it or not.

Some threads was so old that I myself don't even remember I started them. The other day I woke up and saw a thread started by me that didn't sound familiar to me. For 10 seconds, I thought my ABW account was hijacked or something... . Then I realized that it was a 4 years old thread was digged up by some newbie.

Like Mark, I don't usually look at the date when reading a thread. It's a waste of time to read the entire discussion only to find out later that it is some newbies try to get their posts counted by digging up old dated threads randomly, or worse, to spam.

(Edit: I like the idea to add the year in front of the old thread tho.)
    Last edited by mayfly; July 9th, 2010 at 01:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by markwelch View Post
    I think it might make sense to "automatically" close out threads that haven't had any new posts in 2 years or more.

I am sometimes very confused when an ancient thread gets bumped. Since I don't normally look at the dates, I sometimes think the bumped thread is actually a new discussion, and I spend 5 or 10 minutes reading (and often wondering why this topic is coming up today) until I get to the spam or newbie inquiry at the end, and then realize what's happened.

On the other hand, I recognize that if there is an existing thread with a title like "Has Anyone Had Experience with XYZ.com?" then it's quite reasonable to leave that open for folks to add their newer experiences.

Sometimes when this happens, while I'm reading the ancient thread (believing that it's new), I think about writing a reply -- but even if I think I could add some meaningful information or perspective, if I find that the thread is ancient, I won't post a new reply. It seems silly to post a new reply to an ancient discussion thread, most of the time.

It might be worth looking at what % of "new posts to old threads" are legitimate -- if it's less than 5% (as I suspect it is), then auto-closing old discussions seems a wise move to reduce moderators' workloads. Perhaps this is something to reconsider after action is taken to make the "related threads" lists more helpful.
    Mark wrote my story. I would like to see threads with no posts for 2 years auto-close. If it's relevant later on you can always open a new thread and link to it.

ABW Ambassador
    just for laughs. trust's "cancel" thread is not only very old but is also irrelevant to the category. woohoo. hehe

then again. why delete or move it?

ain't that so, trust?

loxly

it's ok. don't worry about it.
    Last edited by waytogo; July 11th, 2010 at 11:52 PM.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by waytogo View Post
    Fresh air, get some.

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread