Thread: Kicked out of the program

Kicked out of the program
    How many people got this today?
    http://matemedia.com/ticketmaster-to...ates-get-lost/

and why?

We got it yesterday also.
    Danny W Bonin Jr
    Bonin Group, Inc.

Please also be aware that sales made from clicks passed today’s date will be non-commissionable. This decision is largely strategic...
    And it appears that their strategy is to get as many free clicks as possible while affiliates scramble to remove their links. No notice is about as affiliate unfriendly as you can get. Those that didn't get the notice may want to start looking at TicketMaster's competitors before they get screwed too.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

I got the notice and was pleased to get it since they yanked away the tools to work with and never offered any way to use the replacement tools. (you would need to know the specific zip codes for each venue to replace the event widgets I had in place) The zero notice meant that I was up til very late to remove every trace of them from across 3 sites. I did send them a note about the abusive no notice decision since they obviously knew they would be altering the program since back in March. Lucky for me that I removed all the pages back then that were using the event widgets that quit functioning, so I only had banners to switch out.
    It is not that unusual for a program to sweep out less than stellar performers unfortunately. Ignorant but not unusual. It is plain abusive to do it with zero notice and reflects badly on Ticketmaster and now LiveNation.
    Last edited by 2busy; July 10th, 2010 at 10:17 AM. Reason: to add tags

"It is not that unusual for a program to sweep out less than stellar performers unfortunately."

How would you define less than stellar performers? As far as I can tell, they dumped everyone ranging ranging from high earners to people that had never sold a ticket - sites that only look to post presale codes to sites that legitimately talk about music, sports or other events.

How would you define less than stellar performers?
    I have no way to determine what criteria they used (if any) in their decisions. It is just typical in a "sweep" that a target is set internally and everyone outside that target is booted. It might have been a dart board, or drawing names from a hat for all I know. Since it coincides with their LiveNation change it may be unrelated to any past performance.

It is sad, but, I am already promoting the competition. Sometimes, big companies like ticketmaster and stubhub get too big and think they can save money by getting rid of their money makers. They wont feel it too bad because they are keeping some so they don't get ripped so much. Not a bad strategy, if it's true. Sucks for us though.

This site just switched to a subscription model:
    http://presalecentral.net/

"Due to recent changes with Ticketmaster’s affiliate program, our main source of income is no longer available. Therefore, we have come to the decision to move forward as a paid site. This is unfortunately the only way to keep the site running and worth our while. We are sorry that we cannot keep the site free, as it has been for over 2 years now, but despite our efforts to do so it just wasn’t a viable option. Rest assured that our prices will be fair and that we will keep bringing you quality content daily.

We plan to implement this new system by next week and we will be sure to keep you guys updated in case anything chages. We would like to thank you for being a loyal reader and sticking with us, we REALLY do appreciate your support as we would not be here without you. We know that many of you may decide to go elsewhere due to our decision, but for those of you who are unsure just keep in mind the quality and reliability of our site and we’re sure you’ll make the right choice. – Admin"

This happened with all "PRESALE" related sites. Many of them are now subscription based. There are a few out there trying to hold out and stay free, but as you can see from the last post, they are starting to drop like flies.

I was notified that my site(s) were going to become non-commissionable as of June. We were given less than 5 days notice. Was not very pleased about this since we were told the merger would have no affect on the program...it was from that assurance that i invested in a web design company and was getting a nice new site ready to go...that site is now useless. My fault for trusting in TM, but a LITTLE notice would have been nice.

My biggest concern/pain point now is that no one at Ticketmaster is giving any insight into what is actually commissionable and what is not. So even if you wanted to stay in the program...what the heck are we supposed to promote? I get it from the business side of things...why pay commissions for shows/events that are going to sell out anyways. But the point of having an affiliate program is to broaded your reach and hopefully have sites that provide users who might not know how to buy tickets, or what a presale code is, or when a show goes on sales, etc, etc...I am 100% sure they will lose some revenue with this change, but as someone said above, it will not be anything significant or worth taking a second look at.

Oh well...some of us had a good run at least...

ive yet to earn a penny from these folks, has that been the trend with all of you?? i know we all have different experiences.

im just checking to see if i got that email

I never got that email but, I did notice that my flash banners which i had on my site listing dates for things are gone, so they must have stopped those?

Very strange I was signed up with them but now i see in my buy.at account that they are not even listed under approved anymore? Super odd. Kind of makes sense why I have had 0 sales lol

Tickets during first 24 hours
    I received an email yesterday (Tuesday):
    As of July 26, 2010, we are no longer awarding commissions for presale tickets or ticket purchases made within 24 hours of when tickets first go on sale to the public.

I do not sell many tickets, but the widgets are attractive and informative, so I'm very happy not to be dropped.

Can't you folks reapply to the program as soon as the merger is complete? OMG it's so much trouble to remove links and widgets, then add them back, though.

I too received yesterday's email. I am not sure why anyone would remain with the program under the new terms. Big fans always try to get tickets early; now that we are not commissioned for the early sales, it actually benefits us to be slow in posting information. The other side of that coin is that the pre-sale/first day's sale was at least partially justifying the time I spend getting passwords, posting the password request links, and emailing people who asked for emails. I spend about 30 minutes (sometimes more if getting the password isn't easy) per concert, and I do the same for concerts that are not sold by Ticketmaster (and are not commissionable). The $20 or $30 I might earn from pre-sales or first day sales almost justified the time; at least I told myself it did. Now there is no point in doing that, and - as a performer fan site - I am not going to even consider the subscription model.

Their email suggested that this move was to preserve the intent of the pre-sales, reserved for fans, and offered by promoters and radio stations; the irony is that my site is very much a fan site, and I got the pre-sale passwords from the venue, a radio station or the promoter. These people viewed my site as good for them, and - in the case of the promoters - they viewed it as a way to reach the hardcore fans. Now I get to do this for free ... or not.

To say I am disappointed would be an understatement. My commissions didn't cost Ticketmaster much, and my links and outreach to new fans were bringing in sales up until the last minute - ostensibly the goal of their program (according to their email). With probably half my income lost (the pre-sales and first 24 hour sales), I probably won't continue to do it, at least not at the same level. I have always provided concert information, going back more than 10 years, but I certainly won't spend as much time on it as I have recently.
    Last edited by shuvee; July 22nd, 2010 at 06:42 AM.
    ---
    Valerie Magee
    [URL=http://mageenet.net]MageeNET[/URL]

My Buy.at account still shows Ticketmaster as "Approved" but I have requested that they remove it from my account. I have already removed all their pages from my sites. Too many different hands seem to be controlling the program to chart out any sensible promotion for Ticketmaster.

Wow, what a way to destroy there own market.

This will have an undesired effect in the sense that alot of dedicated businesses that rely on this as a form of profit won't be so dedicated thus supplying the market with less information and potentially damaging there actual business.

2Busy, you are still "approved" for ticketmaster because your 30-day cookies are still active thru August 9th. Any sales made until that time, from clicks that happened thru July 9th are commissionable. I have made quite a few sales since I was told July 9th that I was not the ideal affiliate. For those who think Ticketmaster will be adversely affected due to their decision, think again. They were a successful company before having affiliates and they will continue to be the top ticket website in the world.. Those of us that have been removed just need to learn that you should always have several affiliate income streams. If you don't, you're going to screw yourself. I learned that long ago with the StubHub affiliate program.

I wish we could have a dialogue with Ticketmaster about their new terms. While they are saving significantly by not paying commissions on shows that sell out the first day (often after only a few minutes), they are creating a difficult choice for people who promote artists whose concerts don't sell out immediately (or, in many cases, don't sell out period). I am now motivated to post concert on sale information 24 hours late. Why should I rush to post it, when for that extra work - often squeezed into the start of a busy day - I am repaid by getting no commissions at all. I'm afraid that my periodic concert updates are going to tend to be late from now on. Most fans learn about the on sales from me, so their seats wont be much different if I am slow to post. I feel a little guilty, but why should I give Ticketmaster that extra money? They tack enough on already in fees.

A better policy would be one that only withheld commissions on specified concerts or specified artists. The other sales are earned - trust me - even when they are pre-sales. The less popular artists receive far less publicity (few early news articles, no radio buzz, etc.); in the case of the artist I promote, even to this day with almost everybody having access to the internet, many fans wouldn't know about concerts in their own town without my web site and my email notifications. (I might add that I am equally diligent with concerts sold by other sellers including the venue's own online ticket sales for which I receive no commission. But my charity goes only so far).

I am surprised that there is so little comment here. I guess we represent only a handful of the Ticketmaster affiliates and our own ranks were thinned when Ticketmaster decided to reduce their affiliate partnerships. Oh well, no more 9AM rush to post and send mailings about presales; my job has gotten easier ...
    ---
    Valerie Magee
    [URL=http://mageenet.net]MageeNET[/URL]

I recieved the same notification and removed my interface immediatly. Never had any sales-- however I intergrated a popup tool that was perhaps, not that obvious to my visitors. I always meant to do more with TicketMaster-- linkng to eventful-- just wanted to wait-- for it to be a clear advantage for me to do so..

Oddly, now but.at shows ticketmaster as something I should apply to under my account. I will pass for now.

Q...
    Last edited by QiSoftware; August 29th, 2010 at 08:02 PM.

21. Newsletter Signup