Affiliate Marketing - High Turnover?
    Good afternoon ladies and gents!

My name is Kirkland and I've been using the internet for about 10 years now, I'm 22 years of age. In the early days I used to be a web based programmer (we're talking about 2002 for about 1-2 years) where I dealt with HTML, PHP and MySQL.

Over the past few years I've just been coasting through the internet and using it as a learning and entertainment tool, I have touched on internet marketing over my time and learnt a bit about SEO and advertising campaigns but never seriously engaged in it. I do own a couple of websites and domains which are not finished and/or parked (REMOVED LINKS).

Now I'm at the point where I believe I will have a serious go at using the internet as more of a money making tool within my spare time more than anything else but I'm worried by something.

RIGHT, sorry about the huge background just setting a scene, here's the main point!:

As with anyone I like to research before I jump into things head first, and I've discovered that there are alot of blogs for Affiliate marketers who state there progress but most of the posts are very sparse or they haven't posted for years. This is the same with alot of article websites too.

Is it just they concentrate there time on there business or is it they gave up and moved on?

I see alot if examples of people who make $100-$300+ per day from this industry so it's not a bad overall wage.

I realise affiliate marketing is an ever-changing sales environment but is it really a graveyard of people who tried and failed over time?

Discuss.
    Last edited by BurgerBoy; July 10th, 2010 at 08:20 AM. Reason: removed links

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkland View Post
    (REMOVED LINKS).

Sorry about the links it wasn't an attempt to advertise. One of them just forwarded to the main site, and the main site isn't finished nor does it contain any adlinks or marketing :-).

Many people read about the amazing success of selling online, mostly published by other marketers trying to sell you some how-to info. $100-$300 a day is not bad, but the idea that anyone can do it and that it is easy is very misleading and meant to sell info products like ebooks. The truth is a little bit different. Many are sucked in and few actually stick with it long enough to learn how to make it work even a little bit.
    ABW is a great place to learn the ins and outs but it is a do-it-yourself learning process. There is most of the useful information that you could buy in an ebook right here for those who take the time to learn. There aren't any secrets or shortcuts and it takes long hours, hard work and dedication to your goal to succeed just like any business.
    A few suggestions: Use the search, read the rules, participate in current discussions and read, read, read. Check the dates of what you read, as this is an ever-evolving industry with few constants.

Good luck!

beverly of
    Quote Originally Posted by 2busy View Post
    Many people read about the amazing success of selling online, mostly published by other marketers trying to sell you some how-to info. $100-$300 a day is not bad, but the idea that anyone can do it and that it is easy is very misleading and meant to sell info products like ebooks. The truth is a little bit different. Many are sucked in and few actually stick with it long enough to learn how to make it work even a little bit.
    ABW is a great place to learn the ins and outs but it is a do-it-yourself learning process. There is most of the useful information that you could buy in an ebook right here for those who take the time to learn. There aren't any secrets or shortcuts and it takes long hours, hard work and dedication to your goal to succeed just like any business.
    A few suggestions: Use the search, read the rules, participate in current discussions and read, read, read. Check the dates of what you read, as this is an ever-evolving industry with few constants.

Good luck!
    Oh certainly I agree with all of that and thanks for the advice.

I dont mean new people turn over, thats expected with any industry that requires work.

I mean posts from people who claim to be experienced, offering advise and such, and continual blogs which were active for years but have now gone dead over the past 12-24 months.

Just curious if theres been a switch in the trends or the way people earn to make alot of more experienced people leave the industry.

Active participation on ABW is not really a strong indicator of success with affiliate marketing. I think it's fair to say that most successful affiliate marketers do spend time monitoring ABW, but many never post a single message, and others are very quiet about their success or failure. (I've received phone calls dozens of times from people who "knew me" from reading my posts on ABW for several years, but who had never posted).

I've publicly shared that my success with affiliate marketing has been a roller-coaster, and currently I'm earning essential no money from my web-publishing (affiliate-role) activity, although I'm starting to plan some new activities that I hope will be successful.

There are so many factors here that it's hard to offer any really helpful guidance. In the 1990's, you could create a web site and watch traffic grow and grow and grow without any end in sight. That's not how things work any more. Search engine algorithms change; your ability and interest in updating your web site changes; the sophistication of consumers and your competitors change. Some niches are very predictably cyclical (I promoted calendars for several years, earning lots of money from November through February).

Our perception of success also changes. Many of us have been elated the first time a single $10 sale transaction is attributed to our referral, and then later we're ecstatic to receive a $122 check from a merchant. But later on, we might perceive a $2,500 payment as "routine." At times when my consulting income was good, I spent little time or attention to my web publishing activities, with the predictable result that it gradually sank.

Back in 2004, I spent hundreds of hours building a web site directory, and then I spent 10 hours per month updating the directory. During the first six months, the site earned almost no money; after a year, it probably earned $100 per month. Then, I found a high-paying merchant that was a great match for the site's theme, and I integrated their product links into the directory, while also optimizing some of the other links and integrating some other merchants' product links more effectively (an investment of 30 or 40 hours total, over a couple of weeks). Revenue from the site boomed to more than $1,000 per month -- but 80% of that revenue came from a single merchant. And guess what: things change; that merchant made some significant changes to their web site, so that conversion rates dropped (first by 50%, then by another 50%).

Another issue is our experience when we try to "expand" our success. I've built small sites which performed well when I narrowly targetted a very small niche -- a sub-set of a segment within a niche. But then, when I tried to expand to reach a wider audience, the performance didn't expand at anything like the same rate. That's happened to me many times.

My interests also change, and that makes a huge difference. If I'm less interested in a topic, even if I have a web site or page that makes money, I'll be less inclined to keep it current.

Competitors can also destroy an opportunity. I've had a number of successful efforts that were undermined when someone else tried to "poach" my success by copying my web site and working to redirect traffic to their new site. I've also found a number of PPC opportunities evaporate when bid rates escalated (often driven by a never-ending stream of people who overbid for a term, each of whom learned and quit but was quickly replaced by someone else).

There are also folks -- me included -- who sometimes feel offended, upset, or annoyed about something that is said or done on ABW, and we stop participating out of anger or spite or fear of criticism. Some folks go away and never come back, or at least never post again, even though their success continues. This happens in any community/industry/group.

Some of us do decide to "quit affiliate marketing," or to focus more of our time on something else.

Some of us take new jobs which don't leave us time to participate on ABW (I've done this twice in the past five years).

Some folks go to work for companies that actively discourage (or require cumbersome "vetting") of any information-sharing or participation on ABW (yes, there are many in the industry, including affiliate networks, merchants, larger web publishers, and OPMs).

And alas, some of us become seriously ill, disabled, or die. That's life.
    Last edited by markwelch; July 10th, 2010 at 12:36 PM.

Superb advice, and spoken like a true veteran, thank you.

Mark - great information
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkland View Post
    superb advice, and spoken like a true veteran, thank you.
    + 1

Started playing around with affiliate marketing a year ago with absolutely no results. I didn't take the time to really learn the process and quickly lost interest. But I am still intrigued with the idea.

A great thread to read to start this thing all over again from scratch. Nice!

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread