Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Exclamation $250 to share information on ABW
    I was going to throw out WT*, but decided otherwise cos I know I might be banned.

Anyhow, once in a while, I come across job posting which I think ABW members will benefit from and I usually share it with ABW family. Today, I find out that

Post New Thread - Payment Required
    Forum for Thread(s) Affiliate Manager Job Postings

As a public service announcement which I don't believe in paying $250 for:
    If you are in the UTAH area, some employer is look for an Affiliate Manager. Pretty big company too in the sports industry.
    Google for
    To be a candidate for this position, you must have a successful track record managing customer acquisition oriented internet marketing channels including Affiliates, Amazon, and Comparison Shopping Engines.

Peace out.. and i am getting off the

Thanks for the feedback, Eric.

FWIW, the decision was made in part because it costs more than that to post a job on most job sites. I've been pushing for an alternate method of monetizing that sub-forum.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Thanks Mike for the straight up answer. I will take back whatever bad things I said about you. lol

I think the key is to find the balance for these instances. I do it to help the community and I am not sure how my each post generates in revenue, but i am sure there is some value there. We can even break it down to OP or Follow up post. Find the sweet spot.

Not going gripe about how ABW use to be full of activity, drama, etc blah blah. Focusing on the future... Here is my 2 cents on this.

-Anybody over 500 post (or 1000) can post to that sub-forum. I do it to help the AM/ABW community. If not, I would not spend my sunday on the soap box.
    -ABW is a community, not a job board. Don't compete with Monster, CareerBuilder, LinkedIn. Do what we do best and focus on AM.
    -Is my proposal perfect, heck NO. But you get in a car everyday and a car ain't perfect cos I am sure Engineers can build a better car/mouse trap but that would cost a billion dollars.

Edit:
    I google for job posting cost
    -LinkedIN $195 for 30 days
    -CareerBuilder $250 for 90 days (did not read all the details, etc)
    -Monster $99, 14 days
    Last edited by Eric Ewe; July 11th, 2010 at 10:12 AM.

Gotta agree with ya there, Eric. There is such a thing as pricing oneself out of the market.

I just looked a that sub-forum. Last July there were 11 postings - this July, zero.

Here's my own example. We started Girly Checks last October to be an additional avenue of revenue. So far we have sold a TON of checks becuse they are a low-cost, needed item. Literally! Individually they don't weigh much, but we have sold enough to be well over a ton. (Actually we are into ton(s) - plural.)

So, have we made enough to fully retire and still buy toys? No. But if we raise the price to $500K or so per order we would be able to retire after the next few sales. But somehow I don't think that would work very well.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

I think I know whom you speak of Eric. Great opportunity for someone!
    J. Duffield Affiliate Manager at Snow Consulting
    Let's Connect-PassTheSEO|#GSEG|Twitter|LinkedIn|Blog "Knowledge is Power."

ABW Ambassador
    I like it free. Most won't pay $250, so you're not making any money anyway. And it's a different vertical but just look at PlentyOfFish.com, where they let people post up profiles for free, gets lots of traffic, and they make millions with the advertising. You can offer some type of advance option if you want that cost some money (I still would keep that pretty low) like a post stickied or something.
    Last edited by Trust; July 11th, 2010 at 11:52 AM.

I like what Trust said. And to add.. Keep it free until it becomes the place to post a job and then monetize it with specials people can pay extra for if they want to be featured.

I didn't know there was a fee. I've told people through email about jobs before, but just because I think they would be interested -- not because I'm a recruiter. It's more of a... did you know..or you may want to know.. kinda thing. That's what people interacting in a "community" do, isn't it?
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

Quote Originally Posted by leeann View Post
    I didn't know there was a fee. I've told people through email about jobs before, but just because I think they would be interested -- not because I'm a recruiter. It's more of a... did you know..or you may want to know.. kinda thing. That's what people interacting in a "community" do, isn't it?
    It used to be free but like what MC said, the owners are trying to monitize it. I think this is not the area to highly monitize. Everypage on ABW is generating some $$ somehow, from banner ads to google ads but in a smaller scale.

Per Bill "I just looked a that sub-forum. Last July there were 11 postings - this July, zero."
    Last edited by Eric Ewe; July 12th, 2010 at 10:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Ewe View Post
    It used to be free but like what MC said, the owners are trying to monitize it. I think this is not the area to highly monitize. Everypage on ABW is generating some $$ somehow, from banner ads to google ads but in a smaller scale.
    FWIW, it's been $250 for almost two years now. It's not new with iNET.

I'm exporing the options with iNET, and I think we'll be able to come up with something that works.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey View Post

I'm exporing the options with iNET, and I think we'll be able to come up with something that works.
    My suggestion, FWIW, would be to make it an "almost" free place to post affiliate marketing jobs. I would charge a token amount - $20 or so - to keep out the spammers and tire-kickers. Once it develops a reputation as a serious place to be/go for affiliate marketing gigs then pricing can be readjusted.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Affiliate Manager Matt McWilliams's Avatar
    I agree with Bill and Eric in most ways.

Here are my two cents:

1. People with over 500 posts can post for free IF it is NOT their company.
    2. People with over 500 posts can post for $25 if it IS their company.
    3. People with under 500 posts can post for $100.
    Matt McWilliams
    Call Me At: (317) 825-8826 | Follow Me On Twitter: @MattMcWilliams2 | Connect With Me On LinkedIn

Quote Originally Posted by Matt McWilliams View Post
    I agree with Bill and Eric in most ways.

Here are my two cents:

1. People with over 500 posts can post for free IF it is NOT their company.
    2. People with over 500 posts can post for $25 if it IS their company.
    3. People with under 500 posts can post for $100.
    That sounds reasonable!

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey View Post
    Maybe I do not see it. I see H's posting but no mention of $$ or paying for posting.

I have posted numerous times on ABW where a handful of people took advantage of it, some went for interview and one person got a job. I do not know all, nor am i here to clutter up things. Just helping another fellow ABWer

IMHO, I would post on monster for $99 @ 14 days to get the best bang for my buck or even Marketing Sherpa FREE. Reach MarketingSherpa's 237,000 weekly readers with your Career Classified.

http and a telephoto
    Michael is correct, it was Haiko that changed it $250
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Interesting thread. I think treating job posts differently based on intent makes sense. Giving the heads-up to one another about job openings in a collegial (free) way seems to fit with the ABW vibe.

Companies, on the other hand, like it or not, are used to having a cost associated with hiring. And if I were looking for an affiliate manager, I would think I'd get more applicants by posting the job here than on a general jobs board. As with niche sites, I would expect to pay more for access to better candidates.

However, it doesn't do any good to charge for something if you can't get any buyers. Just like people are hesitant to list an online classified if they see just a handful of other classifieds on the site, a company looking for an affiliate manager may decide not to post a job here if they don't see any other jobs posted. Regardless of the number of ABW users, they may feel that nobody will see the ad and their money would have been better spent somewhere else.
    Adam Ward, [URL="http://esilverbullet.com"]eSilverBullet[/URL]: software tools for affiliate marketing
    The eSilverBullet [URL="http://esilverbullet.com/blog"]blog[/URL]

http and a telephoto
    There are people that just subscribe to that subforum, as with the New Program Announcements, so there is value if the posts are few and far between as long as they have good content and aren't from spammers.

I like Matt's idea, maybe iNet can take a look at that as model for that forum. The numbers don't have to be what Matt suggested, but I like the overall idea of it.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread