Talking Export To Excel Broken
    Geeze, what is going on with GAN? Export reports to Excel is broken. They are appending a bunch of html to the end of the excel files. I've tried to edit a file in a binary editor, but don't seem to have the magic touch needed to manually fix the problems.

GAN, you need to work on your QA department. I would recommend more extensive unit and automated UI testing as well. I suspect that you can raise GAN's revenue by improving the quality of your code.

Surely the internal Google teams that are using GAN are also complaining?
    Merchants, any data you provide to Google Shopping should also be in your affiliate network datafeed. More data means more sales!

Even the link subscriptions are still messed up. Old links expire and the new ones come in two days later - so in the meantime if you pull down expired links you have empty pages. Visitors don't like that. I am getting tired of waiting for their makeover to benefit anyone.

@isellstuff: Did you ever submit a support ticket with Google on this? I see the Excel export is still broken.
    Adam Ward, [URL="http://esilverbullet.com"]eSilverBullet[/URL]: software tools for affiliate marketing
    The eSilverBullet [URL="http://esilverbullet.com/blog"]blog[/URL]

I did. This bug may be Office 2k10 only, I believe reports still work in earlier versions of office, and they also work in open office. I actually scripted a work-around involving open office and visual basic, where, on the command line, I use openoffice to convert the excel file to a tab delimited file.

I'm attaching the source code to this post, but you will need to have programming skills to compile/use. The syntax for me is:

ExcelToTsv inputFilePath outputFilePath

You of course have to install java and openoffice as well.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Merchants, any data you provide to Google Shopping should also be in your affiliate network datafeed. More data means more sales!

BTW, the comments in the VB code are from the original author of the openoffice conversion code. I've tweaked the code a little, so some of the comments may not make sense. I think I changed the output format, and made the program take commandline args.

Another option that I tried, but never succeeded with... I was going to use JET SQL from a previous version of office to run the conversion, or use OLE automation from a previous version of office. I couldn't get the right runtime libraries installed on windows 7 though.

I was in a really big hurry though, who wants to spend a lot of time on this kind of thing? So my tools are internal only, hence the openoffice solution.

Thanks much. I'll see if I can get this script to work for me.
    Adam Ward, [URL="http://esilverbullet.com"]eSilverBullet[/URL]: software tools for affiliate marketing
    The eSilverBullet [URL="http://esilverbullet.com/blog"]blog[/URL]

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread