Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The affiliate formerly known as ojmoo
    Seems the postmen conplained, so no more postman shaped dog treat.

Pet Valu Halts Sales of Mailman-Shaped Dog Treats

Mike

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    My dog wolfs down her food so fast I doubt she'd noticed what the cookie was shaped like.

Maybe they could replace them with Fedex delivery cookies.

Rhea,

My dog as well

==============

Ojmoo,

It was "insensitive" to the letter carriers, my mailman was also bitten so I can divine his perceptions of this also.

Doing something as "controversial" as making mail carrier dog treats could have been made into free marketing / publicity with news reports, articles, etc. but it appears that they only reported that they are stopping production --- what a waste, the marketing VP should get booted.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Well now that they won't make the mailman-shaped ones neither my dog nor I shall eat them anymore. I didn't ever think of how dangerous a job being a post man is.

There is another article on this. Firstly, the treats was also shaped like cats and secondly this only affects canada. It seems this is an american company and you can still buy this stuff in the U.S. Where exactly I don't know though.

Either way, dogs aren't smart enough to compare the shapes on its food that look like postmen and actual postmen. So if you guys are so concerned (doesn't matter to me, I don't own a dog, I live in an apartment that doesn't allow dogs). Then you can send letters to the company to ban these treats in the US too.

Heiko: why did you bite your letter carrier mand how come you don't call them mailmen?

Mike

ABW Ambassador
    True dog stories.

I spent 15 years working in various positions at the Post Office and have been bitten myself on occasioin, though never seriously. Usually the perpetrators were nasty little things. The biggest hounds usually never gave me much trouble though one bruiser chased me back into the truck, followed me in before I could close the door and chased me out the other side. I ended up with both doors closed, but me outside & the dog inside. The neighbors and my coworkers all had a good time with this as we waited for the dogs owner to arrive before I'd open the door to free it.

My first day on the job, A German Shepard came charging at me barking his fool head off and I caught him square in the eye with Halt dog spray as he leapt off a retaining wall. It was a great shot but I immediately felt terrible when the gentle but rather large dog came up to me wimpering and trying to clean his eyes off on my pants leg. His owner saw the whole thing and said he knew I was right in what I did (even admired my fast-draw) but this was the dog's usual greeting for the regular mail carrier who would stop & play with him for a bit.

Also know of carriers who have been bitten & wound up in the ER. I don't know if they're doing this as a matter of course, but a carrier I know was bitten & the Postal Service sued to recover the ER bills and collected damages which went to the victim.

I don't think I find postal carrier dog biscuits funny, either.

Wayne

Ojmoo,

My neighboor's dog bite the mailman, not me nor my dog, why she did it ... simple he was encroaching on her "turf" dogs get that way.

Actually the PC term is Mail Person or Mail carrier or postal worker, but since mine is a man I call him my mailman, I guess I could call him my postman but that sounds boofy to me
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

I knew Wayne would chime in on this thread.

I'm sympathetic to the four-legged hazards that mail carriers encounter. I also think it's a shame some people let their dogs roam unsupervised. Not only is the dog a possible danger to people and wildlife, the dog itself could get hurt in any number of ways, even if they never leave your property.

Our dog is very aggressive with strangers who come onto our property. She's even gotten snooty with one of the neighbors (she hadn't quite worked out where the property lines were at that point). So unless she's been introduced to someone new...I can't guarantee that she won't bite.

But I guess you have to be a mail carrier to be distressed by those dog cookies coz I have to admit, I thought it was kind of funny. And nothing, but nothing pisses our dog off more than the sound of the Fedex truck. Oh does she want a piece of that guy.

How come no one is pissed off about cat shaped dog biscuits?

Is it insensitive to give children of mailmen toy guns?

Would it be offensive to have given the young Jeffery Dahmer gingerbread men?

I don't like women changing the name of jobs b/c they end in man? Such as mailman or chainman of the board. I mean, when I go to pay the toll at the bridge, it says on the floor, "manned lane", they didn't change that to either womaned lane or personed lane.

Anyway, they made these biscuits b/c mainmen and cats have always been dogs traditional enemy (if you can say dogs have traditional enemies.) If there wasn't cases of dogs biting mailmen then there wouldn't be a point to it. What do you want the dog biscuits to be shaped like, broccoli? The fact is, most dog biscuits probably taste alike and this company was trying to set itself apart by making some shapes, let them do it.

OK OK, maybe dog biscuits don't taste alike, but how are we going to know one way or the other, you really can't ask you dog. I suppose all you know from your dog is 1) they ate it to 2) they didn't. Trying to figure out which tastes better is hard to determine with dogs.

I guess I'm one of those strange people who is both a liberal and anti-PC.

Mike

ABW Ambassador
    Dog treats shaped like postman, whoopty do. I'd like to see some shaped like my neighbors across the street.

ABW Ambassador
    Moo,

My thinking the shape of the dog biscuits isn't funny has nothing to do with being Liberal or PC. It has more to do with the fact that I have no sense of humor. None.

Woof.

Wayne

Trust, I am tired of hearing about this neighbor of yours
    Send pictures dagnabit
    ================================================================
    Been away, now I'm back. Not as much, but I'm back & starting from scratch. Where I was, was fantastic. Where I am now, less so. Things have changed, become harder. So have I. Game ON!!!
    ================================================================

Dogs are wonderful.

Just remember to remove their teeth and vocal chords at birth...

I ate a dog biscuit once on a dare. I'm glad dogs like them, but I wasn't impressed.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    What Rhea said.

But they do taste different to dogs. At one point I had four dogs, so I'm as certain as possible on this.

Present a bunch of different flavored ones to the dog *at the same time.* (Don't expect him/her to eat a regular meal that day, too...) He'll have to choose one first. That's the tastiest. The last choice is the worst. If they spit out one in order to choose another, it means the same thing as it would if a human did it: The spat-out one is disliked.

Of Milk-Bones brand:

"Vegetable" are the least liked.
    "Beef" or "Liver" are the most liked.

Some brands, though, aren't really any different from each other despite their claims.
    If the dog is indecisive, or just grabs them up quick (one after the other without so much as a sniff), that lets you know that brand is really all the same except for some inconsequential difference like color.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Leader,
    I know a few people that eat that way

My dog will eat anything my wife and I eat.
    I like to feed her grapes because they to pop out of her mouth a few times before she get hold of one... Cracks me up

She likes ice cream but she gets a little pungent... anyone who's ever had a boxer can attest to the fact that the last thing you want to do is feed em something that gives them gas

I can’t say that I have a problem with mailman shaped dog treats but then again, I’m not a mailman.
    At least they aren’t mailman flavored

CDC

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    What next??? Dog-shaped treats for postmen?
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Actually, if the product development folks were really, really clever they'd make a box of mixed "people crackers" for dogs; the answer to the animal crackers marketed to humans! (Which don't taste much better than dog cookies, BTW.)

If anyone decides to run with this idea, I want free dog cookies for life, okay?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rhea:
    I ate a dog biscuit once on a dare. I'm glad dogs like them, but I wasn't impressed. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You probably ate one of the generic biscuits, Milk-Bone[tm] are quite good as I recall (though it's been over 4 decades since I've partaken of them).

Well, now that the cat's out of the bag, PC speaking, I guess Animal Crackers are next on the list of banned snacks - can't have the kiddies eating elephants et al.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by NorthernStudio:
    I spent 15 years working in various positions at the Post Office and have been bitten myself on occasioin, though never seriously. Usually the perpetrators were nasty little things.

Wayne <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Man, I was reading too fast and read that completely wrong. Image of you chomping yourself.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> What next??? Dog-shaped treats for postmen?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    They eat hot dogs don't they? I think the postmen need to get over it personally.. it's just a joke... and exactly how much like a postman could it look anyway? Did it have a mailbag or something? Sheesh

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I spent 15 years working in various positions at the Post Office and have been bitten myself on occasioin, though never seriously. Usually the perpetrators were nasty little things.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do you have counseling where you work? You need to find out what you are doing to make your co-workers so upset that they bite you! I am sure calling them "nasty little things" doesn't help!
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
    They eat hot dogs don't they? I think the postmen need to get over it personally.. it's just a joke... and exactly how much like a postman could it look anyway? Did it have a mailbag or something? Sheesh
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SSanf:
    Do you have counseling where you work? You need to find out what you are doing to make your co-workers so upset that they bite you! I am sure calling them "nasty little things" doesn't help! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    I did work with some two legged "nasty little things" both at the Post Office and on other jobs. They seem to be everywhere.

Being self-employed means the only "nasty little thing" I have to deal with is me. On the plus side: I don't bite.

Wayne

Okay, everybody who's ever been bitten by a dog raise your hand!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast