Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The affiliate formerly known as ojmoo
    Silly question
    I have too much time on my hands so this occurred to me.

Are you supposed to eat or throw out the end slices of a loaf of sliced white bread? As far as I know, no one in my family eats those end slices.
    Expert who says Moo

a.k.a. OJMOO

Cow Dance

Partly depends on whether or not you like the "crust" on the regular (interior) slices. I think the end crusts are best when toasted and eaten with butter and/or jelly. Great for breakfast - but I don't care for them as much as part of a sandwich.

Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Tax Paying Member
    You are not "supposed" to do anything. Then again, in today's world, there may be a law against eating the end slice.

When I was a kid, we were so poor that the end slices were considered a delicacy. Nothing was thrown out. A little mayo and a slice of "spam" between 2 end slices.........Bravo.
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

Talking
    you never experienced a "slam sandwich?"

you slammed the two end pieces together and ate them with no filling.

(talk about poor)

and if you didn't have the luck of the end pieces you ate "poke and grits" (where you poked out your lips and gritted your teeth . . . )

Last edited by Herb ԿԬ; July 12th, 2010 at 10:22 AM.

Hmmm...it appears that Herb, Witzer and I all grew up in "the day."

Surprisingly I love "cheap foods" like hot dogs and salmon. Back in "the day" they were the only protein my parents could afford for a while. As for the cost of salmon - before "overfishing" in the cold waters off the northwest coast those large cans of salmon were like 12 or 13 Cents. Now it has become almost a delicacy in some areas. Go figure.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..

Tax Paying Member
    It's all in Perception.

If you like the taste of the end slices, then by all means, eat them.
    If you think that your friends and neighbors will look at you cross eyed when they see you eating the end slices, then close the door and pull the blinds.
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

Quote Originally Posted by oranges View Post
    I have too much time on my hands so this occurred to me.

Are you supposed to eat or throw out the end slices of a loaf of sliced white bread? As far as I know, no one in my family eats those end slices.
    Regular people are supposed to eat those two pieces too, but since I am not that regular, I only eat them on special occasions, like when it's after midnight, and there is nothing else around to fill my tank...

Seriously, I would not eat those two covers unless I have to...

On another note, just like with the pizza, I used to criticize those around me that don't eat the crust outer rim of slices of pizza, or slices of white bread, but...

While I still love the crispy crust outer rim of pizza, I no longer eat the bottom part of any of those slices of white bread, after I saw this picture the other day...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Isn't someone asking how to eat sliced bread one of the signs of the apocalypse?
    (In our house the slowest kid got the ends.. with 4 boys it was survival of the fittest)

I don't mind eating those 2 ends. Specially when they just came out out of the oven! Technically, you don't have 2 ends when they have not been sliced yet.

Opps, I forgot to mention that I'm one of those privilege few whose house smells of freshly baked bread every day and gets to eat those hot, freshly baked bread

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    White Bread?
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, theres no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

We typically don't eat the ends, but there are some things you can cook where they taste as good or better than the middle slices. If you're doing french toast, garlic toast, or anything like that, they're great. If you're cooking a burger and don't have hamburger buns, the ends work and taste better than middle slices. Similarly, for a hot dog, you can fold an end in half a have a good substitute for a hot dog bun.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

for a hot dog, you can fold an end in half a have a good substitute for a hot dog bun.
    That's a good one!

Squirrels love the ends.
    Greg Hoffman
    Affiliate Marketing Advocate of the Year 2016; Best OPM/Agency - 2014; Best OPM/Agency, Five Years in a Row - ABestWeb.
    Visit Greg Hoffman Consulting

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    I love the ends as cinnamon toast with good amount of buttttter.

The affiliate formerly known as ojmoo
    Maybe I should ask it this way. Does the first sandwich made from a new white bread use the end piece or not?
    Expert who says Moo

a.k.a. OJMOO

Cow Dance

Maybe I should ask it this way. Does the first sandwich made from a new white bread use the end piece or not?
    Hell no!

Those are reserve parts!

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    Yes...to what Sal said that is

I thought I would inlcude this link http://www.ehow.com/how_4712268_ends...-of-bread.html to assist you in your research to your question.

By the way, the end pieces are sometimes referred to as the "hee'" of a loaf of bread.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey View Post
    Similarly, for a hot dog, you can fold an end in half a have a good substitute for a hot dog bun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sal View Post
    That's a good one!

Just did this for lunch!
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

ABW Ambassador
    Your rotten spoiled kids!!!
    Next time before throwing away food, think about those poor starving African children...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeE-3...eature=related

Tax Paying Member
    And the answer is according to Mr. Sal

Hell no!

Those are reserve parts!
    AffiliateHound -------- White Bread?
    Is there any other kind?????
    Carolina China

The heel (not hee) the best part, especially when it's homemade. Toasted, buttered and cinnamon/sugared. If it's store bought bread it's not quite the same, but still delicious.
    :rankn-scp John - This is our chosen profession. This is our way. This is what we do.

Network Rep & ABW Ambassador Carolyn - ShareASale's Avatar
    Slather them in butter and use them to butter corn. I tell you, when I learned this trick from my fiance's family, it was a revelation. It was the equivalent of witnessing the Holy Grail for me and undoubtedly the biggest A-HA moment of the year for me.

We were literally sitting down for dinner and he had the ends of the bread sitting on a plate on the dining table. I'm like, "Honey, why?" He picks one up, folds the corn cob in it and butters it up, man. I can't believe I've never done it before. When I expressed my heartfelt admiration for this genius solution, he just looked at me like I was nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Carolyn - ShareASale View Post
    Slather them in butter and use them to butter corn. I tell you, when I learned this trick from my fiance's family, it was a revelation. It was the equivalent of witnessing the Holy Grail for me and undoubtedly the biggest A-HA moment of the year for me.

We were literally sitting down for dinner and he had the ends of the bread sitting on a plate on the dining table. I'm like, "Honey, why?" He picks one up, folds the corn cob in it and butters it up, man. I can't believe I've never done it before. When I expressed my heartfelt admiration for this genius solution, he just looked at me like I was nuts.
    Ahhh, forgot that one - but as soon as I saw you replied to this thread I "knew" what you were going to say. That was one of the most important bits of information you shared during last year's SAS RoadShow.

Remember that, Witzer?

Tax Paying Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Ahhh, forgot that one - but as soon as I saw you replied to this thread I "knew" what you were going to say. That was one of the most important bits of information you shared during last year's SAS RoadShow.

Remember that, Witzer?

It pays to follow Carolyn.........Never know what you may learn.
    Carolina China

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast