Question Top 100 Records?
    I've inherited a McIntosh stereo system and I've "acquired" my parents old records from their basement. I'm about to invest in a high quality turntable to compliment the McIntosh system. I love the sound! Digital sucks.

I've been perusing antique shops and flea markets for 1970's and 1980's LP records (33⅓ rpm vinyl). I'm mostly looking for good Album rock, Eagles, Queen, Pink Floyd. But I keep finding Herb Alpert, Dan Fogleberg, Don Ho and Joan Baez. I may have missed a few golden ones mixed in there so if I had a list, I could search better.

For those of you that remember vinyl records, what records would you want to have in your collection?

Greg Hoffman
    Affiliate Marketing Advocate of the Year 2016; Best OPM/Agency - 2014; Best OPM/Agency, Five Years in a Row - ABestWeb.
    Visit Greg Hoffman Consulting

Digital representations of music can't even come close to the warmth, depth, fullness of vinyl pressings. These kids today don't know what they're missing.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

Quote Originally Posted by davidh View Post
    Digital representations of music can't even come close to the warmth, depth, fullness of vinyl pressings. These kids today don't know what they're missing.
    Agreed, so what would you want to hear, David?
    Greg Hoffman
    Affiliate Marketing Advocate of the Year 2016; Best OPM/Agency - 2014; Best OPM/Agency, Five Years in a Row - ABestWeb.

ABW Ambassador
    Probably all the scratching and skips that's not supposed to be there in the first place

My parents awhile back had a renter that skipped out on the rent but left all kinds of albums, reminds me I need to find them. Parents collection has some nice Beatles albums, you need some of - http://carloscorrea.files.wordpress....05/magical.jpg

LOL my tastes lean toward "somewhat obscure". Records that I've worn out (the grooves turn white!) are James Montgomery Band First Time Out, Good Rats Tasty, Duke and The Drivers Cruisin'.... and from "well-known" bands Boston S/T, The Cars S/T, Heart Dreamboat Annie, and Elton John's Rock of the Westies.

If you're anywhere near Atlanta, there's a FABULOUS record store called Full Moon.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates

If you're anywhere near Atlanta, there's a FABULOUS record store called Full Moon.
    I've been there but they are pricey. They know what they have and they are waiting for suckers like me to come in. I'm hoping to score some $2 specials!
    Greg Hoffman

Quote Originally Posted by Trust View Post
    Probably all the scratching and skips that's not supposed to be there in the first place
    And what of the harmonic overtones that ARE supposed to be there Recording music digitally is like removing most of the caffeine and alkaloids from coffee, brewing it at too low a temperature, and then serving it watered-down.

You really do have to be familiar with what something "really sounds like" in order to know the difference though. In side-by-side comparison, a Thin Lizzy record would make a Thin Lizzy CD sound like fingernails scratching a blackboard.
    Last edited by davidh; July 12th, 2010 at 01:38 PM.

nothing could ever touch the sound that you get from a vinyl record!!!!

I actually have a entire room full of records... everything back to 7" 45's to stuff that was just put out this month!

If i had to take a guess, I am probably pushing around 7500+ pieces!
    Jason Rubacky - CEO/SEO Nerd at PassTheSEO
    jason at passtheseo dot com
    @jasonrubacky

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Rubacky View Post
    nothing could ever touch the sound that you get from a vinyl record!!!!

I actually have a entire room full of records... everything back to 7" 45's to stuff that was just put out this month!

If i had to take a guess, I am probably pushing around 7500+ pieces!
    So give me some to look for! Name the top 10 70's rock albums I need.

This is the turntable I'm looking to buy: Rega P3
    Greg Hoffman

For those of you that remember vinyl records,
    Vinyl records?

What's that!?

You just took me back to the 70's...

One of the first things I remember about vinyl records is that, never leave a vinyl record inside a car, specially on a sunny day!

Once upon a time on my previous life, and while washing my car next to my turntable, I made the big mistake of putting a brand new album without the cover, on the dashboard of the car.

Well, by the time I went to play that 33˝ album one hour later, that vinyl record was no longer round in shape, it looked more like an empty taco shell...

Fortunately, a few days later I was able to bring it back to life with the help of a hair drier, and a lot of patient...

And even though it still played with the regular hiss and sounds of a regular 33˝ album , I had to put up with the extra wobble that the sun heat, did to it...

Name the top 10 70's rock albums I need.
    Ahhh are you just pretending not to be old enough to know what the big stuff was back then? lol.

Ahhh are you just pretending not to be old enough to know what the big stuff was back then? lol.
    Here's the rest of the back story. My uncle had a Rock collection circa 1978. Lots of Queen and Pink Floyd and some CCR thrown in. He no longer has that collection so I want to rebuild it and make sure mine is complete. So I need suggestions on what is the top 10 or top 100 rock albums from the era.
    Greg Hoffman

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Here you go. If that doesn't help you, then here.

I've got 78's from my grandparents. Try to find something that will play the 78's these days. But I've also got her old "high fidelity" console stereo to play them on. Also lots of 45's. They had a diner and kept some of the records from the jukebox. I remember my Mom giving me a stack of them along with one of those suitcase record players when I was about 4. I'd spin those records for hours!!!!

Enjoy your collection Greg! Listening to vinyl is absolutely wondeful.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Hoffman Consulting View Post
    So I need suggestions on what is the top 10 or top 100 rock albums from the era.
    Take yuor pick!

Top Ten Albums of the Seventies

Top 100 Albums of the 1970s

Seventies' Greatest Album Covers

Super Seventies RockSite!

Kellie and Mr. Sal, you both found great lists. Thank you. Now which of them are your favorites?
    Greg Hoffman

Here's a VERY SHORT list. Not based on personal taste; these are titles that would be considered "a must" for anybody who is studying the rock music of that era.... mostly 70's, some from the tail end of the 60's.... all of these were amongst the top sellers in the year that they were released, all are considered "classic".

Beatles - White Album, Let It Be, Abbey Road, and Sgt. Pepper
    Cream - Disraeli Gears
    Blind Faith
    Jimi Hendrix - Are You Experienced, Band of Gypsys
    Jeff Beck Group - Truth
    Traffic - John Barleycorn Must Die, Low Spark of High Heeled Boys
    Big Brother and the Holding Company (Janis Joplin) - Cheap Thrills
    Rolling Stones - Beggar's Banquet, Exile on Main Street, Sticky Fingers
    Faces - A nod is as good as a wink
    Rod Stewart - Sing it again Rod, Never a Dull Moment
    Jefferson Airplane - Surrealistic Pillow
    David Bowie - Ziggy Stardust
    George Harrison - All Things Must Pass
    Led Zeppelin I, II, Physical Graffiti
    Lee Michaels - Fifth
    Peter Frampton - Frampton Comes Alice
    The Who - Who's Next, Quadrophenia, Tommy
    Elton John - Goodby Yellow Brick Road, Captain Fantastic
    Steely Dan - Can't Buy A Thrill, Pretzel Logic, Aja
    Stevie Wonder - Songs in the key of life
    Pink Floyd - Dark Side, The Wall
    Allman Brothers - Brothers and Sisters
    Kiss - Rock and Roll Over, Destroyer
    Thin Lizzy - Jailbreak
    The Sweet - Desolation Boulevard
    Bruce Springsteen - Born to Run
    Jethro Tull - Passion Play
    J Geils Band - Bloodshot
    Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
    Bad Company
    Eric Clapton - 461 Ocean Boulevard, Slowhand
    The Ramones - Rocket To Russia
    ELO - A New World Record
    Steve Miller - Fly Like An Eagle, Book Of Dreams
    Boz Scaggs - Silk Degrees
    Heart - Dreamboat Annie
    Boston
    Eagles - Hotel California, Greatest Hits
    Bob Seger - Night Moves
    Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers
    Queen - News Of The World
    Sex Pistols - Never Mind The Bollocks
    Van Halen
    Funkadelic - Maggot Brain, One Nation
    Meatloaf - Bat Out Of Hell
    Doobie Brothers - Best Of
    The Police - Outlandos D'Amour
    The Pretenders
    Last edited by davidh; July 12th, 2010 at 03:49 PM.

The only albums I've got on vinyl are by Rush and Led Zeppelin. I think I might have Morrison Hotel, now that I think about it.

We have a great place here for used vinyl, not in the $2 range, more like $5-8, but once you figure out what you want, I can have a look next time I go in. I'm there usually once every week or two.
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

Great thread..I've got a boxful of LP's from the 70's.

Favorites :
    ZZ Top Fandango
    Journey
    Lynyrd Skynyrd Gold and Silver Album
    Scorpions Love at First Sting
    Rainbow Long Live Rock n Roll
    Queen
    Many many more..I must have a hundred LP's stored in that box

Two years ago I bought a turntable to transfer my records to digital and slowly (very slowly) I'm getting it done. I got a AT PL-120 from Audio Technica. It plays 45's, 78's and LPs via direct drive. Unfortunately, if you don't lift the arm between tracks, the software isn't very good at discerning the end of one track and the start of another. The play times shown on the albums are not accurate enough. If I could just plop them on and play through I would be finished already - but needing to listen closely and lift the arm means I seldom even put one on.
    OTOH, those that have been transferred to the ipod are far better than having them piled in boxes even if they are minus the pop, crackle and hiss of the LPs.

This reminds me of my husbands roommate prior to us getting married--he had a huge collection of 70's rock albums that he used to turn on randomly at ear-splitting decibles. It was great.

Personally, I love the Royal Guardsmen and Janis Joplin.

I finally heard back from the uncle that inspired this thread. Here is his top 10 list if he could recreate his lost collection.

"Dark Side of the Moon" and "The Wall" are 2 of them. Led Zeppelin "IV", Jimmy Hendrix "The Jimmy Hendrix Experience", REO Speedwagon "Riding the Storm Out", ZZ Top "Tres Hombres", Elton John "Madman Across the Water" Santana ? maybe "Borboletta" or "Abrxas" or both, Steely Dan "Aja" and The Alan Parsons Project "Tales of Mystery and Imagination" to name a few ONLY TEN?
    Greg Hoffman

I highly recommend "Fables of the Reconstruction" by R.E.M. on vinyl as well. There's layers on the album that sound so rich on vinyl as opposed to the digital remasters. Very haunting album.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

23. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread