How to leave a program
    Robert Lopez @ 360training sent out 7 separate emails this morning with the same "reminder" for each of their products, and I'm not even promoting their program, so I'm looking to unsubscribe from the program. How do I do so? This kind of email volume definitely warrants leaving a program that I'm not promoting.

log in, click on "activity summary" and find the merchant. You will be able to cancel your relationship there.

Yes, indeed, I see these 7 different emails queued up in my "SAS coupons" folder over a 13-hour period, all referring to the same SAS merchant but identifying 7 different domains (360training.com and six others).

The emails are terse and unprofessional, with spelling errors and woefully inadequate instructions; sent once, it's a waste of time; sent seven times, it's an insult to publishers.

Affiliate Manager robertlopez1979's Avatar
    Hello,

I do apologize if i sent too many emails, as you all know we have different brands and i want you to see them individually. I received some requests if i can send each campaign separately, I don't think it is wrong to follow my affiliate's demands.

I don't think my instructions were incorrect. However, I really appreciate your comments and suggestions so i would know everyone's opinion.

Also @joshua, If you are a member of our program you will automatically receive my newsletters and i don't know why you are getting them if you are not my affiliate. Please let me know so i can decline your membership to us.

This won't happen again and i hope for your consideration.
    Last edited by robertlopez1979; July 13th, 2010 at 03:06 AM. Reason: added note

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by robertlopez1979 View Post
    Hello,

I do apologize if i sent too many emails, as you all know we have different brands and i want you to see them individually. I received some requests if i can send each campaign separately, I don't think it is wrong to follow my affiliate's demands.
    Sometimes you have to balance what one affiliates wants against what the many affiliates want. If one affiliate wants each separately, send them just to him. Other affiliates will appreciate one email with all your offers in it.

You also need to listen to Mark, if he says the instructions are unclear, then you need to rewrite them.

Remember that if you make one affiliate upset, they tell their friends and you lose a lot of affiliates. If you listen to suggestions, then affiliates will give you a chance.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua View Post
    Robert Lopez @ 360training sent out 7 separate emails this morning with the same "reminder" for each of their products, and I'm not even promoting their program, so I'm looking to unsubscribe from the program. How do I do so? This kind of email volume definitely warrants leaving a program that I'm not promoting.
    Did you try contacting the affiliate manager prior to posting on ABW?

I'm quick to out rogues on ABW but I do my best to attempt to contact the affiliate manager or merchant rep.

After reading the AM's response here, it seems to me that he's more than willing to work with affiliates.

Everyone makes mistakes from time to time.
    Last edited by bibby; July 13th, 2010 at 12:11 PM.

Affiliate Manager robertlopez1979's Avatar
    @loxly,
    Thank you for your advice. I welcome comments and suggestions from my peers. As an Affiliate Manager for 5 years now, I have always weighed my affiliates' requests.

I tried contacting Joshua but apparently, he already removed his contact info.

Thanks,

I had only signed up for your program to check out the pay per call program, and never went through with promoting, so I was simply an inactive affiliate. I was joined to the program.

I was an affiliate manager for a few years, so I know the need to communicate with affiliates, but 7 emails at once is a bit ridiculous. I've managed programs with multiple sites/brands under one umbrella before, and the feedback I received was to condense updates into one email - I always separately emailed those affiliate who wanted updates on specific products. The problem here was more the fact that it was pretty much a cookie-cutter standard message for every email, with just the program name changed.

On another note, ShareASale NEEDS to list pay per call payouts in the pay per call center so that I don't have to apply to every merchant listed and wait for approval to even see if it's worth my time. And too many of those programs sit as "applied" with no response, even after emailing the AMs. Every other network that I work with for pay per call lists payouts, and has network reps dedicated to pay per call that help to bridge the gap with unresponsive AMs. Carolyn was great about passing my API request to Ring Revenue, so maybe she can work on this, too?
    Last edited by Joshua; July 13th, 2010 at 09:11 PM.

Thanks for the explanation. I do agree that the Pay per Call program should be a stand a lone platform (still be tracked on SAS). I might be wrong but Ring Central runs the CJ program and I believe you have to be signed-up to the merchant prior to signing-up with the Pay per Call program.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua View Post
    ShareASale NEEDS to list pay per call payouts in the pay per call center so that I don't have to apply to every merchant listed and wait for approval to even see if it's worth my time.
    I am glad to see this issue being discussed on ABW and may I make a suggestion?
    Perhaps the issue of a stand alone platform for the Pay per Call program would be a good issue to discuss in ShareaSale's "Affiliate Aquarium" too?
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Affiliate Manager
    I don't think it is wrong to follow my affiliate's demands
    Think it will be better if you follow all your affiliates demands and preferences, in this case. Some affiliates don't like to be "besieged" with emails, some others love that

Cheers!

Robert, I'm not familiar with your program or your different brands, but I would like to add my .02. There have been a few threads here regarding e-mails from merchants and affiliate managers and the consensus is that you can't please all of the people all of the time...

I think it's great that you listen to your affiliates and try to provide them with the amount of contact that they want. But I have to believe that seven e-mails on the same day that are all essentially the same is going to be considered excessive by most of your affiliates. And we're right back to; you can't please all of the people.....

But you can adopt a set of best practices that will at least help you to avoid pissing off the majority of your affiliates. Take a look at each of the mailings for all of your brands. Is the message essentially the same? If so, send a single e-mail that highlights the differences for each brand. If you have a large amount of unique information for one or more programs, then a separate e-mail may be warranted FOR THAT BRAND. Or perhaps a link to an external page that contains the information, that way affiliates can decide how much information they want.

If you have affiliates that desire separate e-mails and you have the time to accommodate that, then by all means e-mail away. But when I look at the number of merchants that I promote, seven e-mails a month from each of them would result in a couple of thousand more messages that I just wouldn't have time to read. Keep in mind that most affiliates don't promote a single program and time is one asset that there is never enough of.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread